Apple and Intel reached a “preliminary agreement” for Intel to make chips for Apple hardware, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday. Apple had famously moved on from Intel-powered computers with its highly successful transition to Apple Silicon, but now it appears the two companies will be working closely together again.
Apple reportedly has a deal to use Intel-made chips again
What kind of chips and in which devices? Good question!
What kind of chips and in which devices? Good question!
Intel appointed Lip-Bu Tan as its new CEO in March 2025, and in August, the US government took a 10 percent stake in the company.
The WSJ says that it’s “still unclear” what Apple products will get Intel chips. Apple and Intel didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment from The Verge.
Bloomberg reported this week that Apple has held “exploratory discussions” with Intel and Samsung about having them make Apple’s processor chips in the US — currently, Apple works with Taiwan-based TSMC to produce those. Supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said late last year that Intel is “expected” to start shipping “Apple’s lowest-end M processor” as soon as 2027. Bloomberg also reported in September that Intel had asked Apple about a potential investment and how to work more together.