Skip to main contentSkip to navigationSkip to navigation
A volunteer giving advice to a woman who has just arrived in the UK in what appears to be an office or community centre
City for Sanctuary makes educational materials available to schools to help them welcome refugee and asylum seeker children. Photograph: Christian Sinibaldi/The Guardian
City for Sanctuary makes educational materials available to schools to help them welcome refugee and asylum seeker children. Photograph: Christian Sinibaldi/The Guardian

Charity cleared after false claims online over migrant welcome project

Watchdog finds allegations against City of Sanctuary UK were misleading after complaint from Tory MP

A refugee charity subjected to vicious social media attacks over a migrant welcome project in schools has been cleared of wrongdoing after watchdogs found allegations it encouraged pupils to send Valentine’s Day cards to asylum seekers were misleading and false.

City of Sanctuary UK came under fire last year after rumours spread online that under its schools programme, children were being “forced” to write heart-shaped welcome cards to adult migrants, including cards addressed to “my fiance”.

The Tory MP Gavin Williamson made a formal complaint against City of Sanctuary last August in the wake of the online attacks, claiming the charity had acted inappropriately and breached the law by acting in a “highly politicised” manner.

However, in a finding published on Tuesday, the regulator rejected Williamson’s complaint and said the charity had been the victim of a baseless misinformation campaign that resulted in its staff and trustees receiving threats.

Helen Earner, the director of regulatory services at the Charity Commission, said: “In this case, concerns about the charity’s work were fuelled by online misinformation, something charities are increasingly subject to and a concern for us as regulator.

“After examining the available evidence, we found the claims to be misleading and that the schools of sanctuary programme is within the charity’s purposes and complies with our guidance on campaigning and political activity.”

Williamson’s claims, which were reported in the Telegraph, were the latest in a series of “culture war” complaints in which backbench Tory MPs have alleged charities have broken laws on party political campaigning and pursued “woke” ideological agendas.

Previous targets have included the National Trust, Barnardo’s, and the Runnymede Trust. In each case the commission took on a compliance review to investigate the complaints, prompting widespread media coverage, before exonerating the charities.

City for Sanctuary makes educational materials available to schools to help them welcome refugee and asylum seeker children, promote values of compassion and tolerance, and encourage fellow pupils’ understanding of migrant experiences.

One activity involved children in making anonymised cards to show support and solidarity. City of Sanctuary said these bore expressions such as “welcome to our town” or “we hope you feel safe here”.

The activities were targeted online with social media posters alleging the cards included Valentine’s messages, playing on a rightwing trope that asserts male asylum seekersare perpetrators of sexual harassment and assaults against minors.

The commission concluded that while “heart-shaped general messages of welcome to refugees were displayed in schools”, it was satisfied that “at no point did children write cards to individual adult asylum seekers or refugees”.

A spokesperson for City of Sanctuary UK said: “The misinformation campaign we were subject to had a real impact on our team and the schools we work with, and we are grateful that the commission recognised this as part of its review. We know we are not alone – a number of other organisations working in this field have faced similar experiences.”

Related stories

Related stories

  • Boris Johnson did prioritise animal charity for Afghan evacuation, MPs told

  • Legal challenge launched over ‘anti-woke’ agenda of Charity Commission

  • Barnardo’s blogpost on white privilege did not breach charity laws

  • double quotation markAttacking lifeboats may seem like a new low, but the right craves a ‘migrant crisis’

  • Money raised after Marcus Rashford mural defaced to go to food charity in Manchester

  • Councils vow to defy UK rule on deporting migrant rough sleepers

  • Migrant children face hunger over free school meal restrictions

  • Food bank use will soar after universal credit rollout, warns charity

More from News

More from News

  • US-Israel war on Iran
    US-Iran peace talks could resume in next two days, Trump says

  • Business
    Iran war escalation could trigger global recession, IMF warns

  • Canada
    Carney says it’s Canada’s ‘time to come together’ after Liberals secure majority

  • Refugees
    About 250 missing after boat carrying Rohingya refugees capsizes in Andaman Sea

  • Germany
    Israeli ambassador to Germany condemns Bezalel Smotrich’s tirade against chancellor

  • US
    JD Vance defends Trump amid spat with Pope Leo: ‘Stick to matters of morality’

  • US
    French woman, 86, held by ICE after moving to US to marry 1950s sweetheart

  • UK immigration rules
    UK woman fears being stranded in Spain over new Home Office border rules for dual nationals

  • Champions League
    Atlético hold off Barcelona comeback after Lookman strike and García red

Most viewed

Most viewed