US designates Iran as ‘state sponsor of wrongful detention’
U.S. Jerusalem Embassy advises nonessential staff to leave amidst rising Iran tensions | TRENDING
The U.S. on Friday designated Iran as a “state sponsor of wrongful detention” and demanded that the country release any Americans in its detention.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio issued the designation amid escalating tensions between the two countries and as President Trump considers launching strikes on Iran. Rubio cited Iran’s consolidation of power following the Iranian Revolution “by endorsing the hostage taking of U.S. embassy staff,” referring to the Iran Hostage Crisis.
“For decades, Iran has continued to cruelly detain innocent Americans, as well as citizens of other nations, to use as political leverage against other states,” Rubio said in a statement. “This abhorrent practice must end.”
Rubio warned Iran that if it does not stop taking hostages, the U.S. will “be forced to consider additonal measures, including a potential geographic travel restriction on the use of U.S. passports to, through, or from Iran.” He added that Americans in Iran should “leave immediately” and that Americans should not visit the country “for any reason.”
The designation does not levy penalties on Iran. The U.S. holds this travel restriction in place for North Korea, only allowing U.S. citizens to travel to North Korea with “special validation” passports issued by the State Department.
The nonprofit group Hostage Aid Worldwide estimates that at least four Americans are in Iranian custody as of August 2025. Before then, former President Biden secured a deal to release five American hostages in exchange for $6 billion in unfrozen funds going toward Tehran in 2023.
Tensions have risen between the U.S. and Iran following widespread anti-government protests last month. Trump voiced his support for the demonstrators, called for new leadership in Tehran and sent several warships to the country’s coast. He warned that he would take military action if Iranian officials executed protesters, later saying he is considering a limited strike.
On Friday, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk said at least eight people, including two children, were sentenced to death in connection with the protests, with another 30 also at risk of being sentenced to die.
Negotiations kicked off earlier this month over the future of Iran’s nuclear program. These talks have produced little to no results, with Trump calling on Iran to strike a deal within a 10-day timeframe expected to end on Sunday. The third round of talks in Geneva, Switzerland, on Thursday failed to reach an agreement.
“We haven’t made a final decision [on strikes],” Trump told reporters Friday. “We’re not exactly happy with the way they’re negotiating. They cannot have nuclear weapons. We’re not thrilled with the way they’re negotiating, so we’ll see how it all works out.”
Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Conversation
All Comments
Active Conversations
The following is a list of the most commented articles in the last 7 days.