Skip to contentSkip to site index

Advertisement

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Orders Release of 5-Year-Old, Whose Detention Drew Outrage

The image of Liam Conejo Ramos, wearing a blue winter hat and Spider-Man backpack while in the custody of immigration agents, fueled outrage across the country.

Listen to this article · 5:49 min Learn more
A boy in a blue hat, a coat and a backpack is being led into a vehicle.
A federal judge ordered the release of a 5-year-old Liam Conejo Ramos, a preschooler who was detained by ICE in Minneapolis, and his father from immigration custody.Credit...Agence France-Presse, via Columbia Heights Public Schools

A federal judge on Saturday ordered the release of a 5-year-old boy and his father from immigration custody, condemning their removal from their suburban Minneapolis neighborhood as unconstitutional.

The image of Liam Conejo Ramos, wearing a Spider-Man backpack and an oversize fluffy blue winter hat as he was detained by officers earlier this month, spurred outrage at a moment when many were already incensed by the Trump administration’s immigration tactics in Minnesota and elsewhere across the country. The flood of immigration enforcement officers into Minneapolis, known as Operation Metro Surge, has led to mass demonstrations as well as the shooting deaths of two protesters, Renee Good and Alex Pretti, at the hands of federal agents.

In a blistering opinion ordering Liam’s release, Judge Fred Biery of the Federal District Court for the Western District of Texas condemned “the perfidious lust for unbridled power” and “the imposition of cruelty.” The boy’s father, Adrian Conejo Arias, was also arrested and the pair were taken to an immigration detention center outside San Antonio. A lawyer for the family previously said in court filings that Mr. Conejo Arias, who is from Ecuador, had legally entered the country under American guidelines for asylum. The Department of Homeland Security had charged that Mr. Conejo Arias had entered the country illegally in December 2024.

In a statement, Jennifer Scarborough and four other attorneys who represent Liam and his father praised the ruling. They said they were now working to quickly reunite the family. “We are pleased that the family will now be able to focus on being together and finding some peace after this traumatic ordeal,” they wrote.

The Trump administration has said Liam was not targeted or arrested, but that Mr. Conejo Arias had asked that his son remain with him after he tried to flee from immigration agents.

Tricia McLaughlin, a spokeswoman for the Homeland Security Department, reiterated those claims in a statement late on Saturday. “The alleged mother refused to accept custody of the child,” she wrote. “The father told officers he wanted the child to remain with him.” School officials have said that someone in the family home had, unsuccessfully, pleaded with agents to keep the child.

Thumbnail of page 1

Read the document

A judicial order freeing a 5-year-old boy and his father, detained by federal immigration authorities.

Read Document

Subscribe to The Times to read as many articles as you like.

Emily Cochrane is a national reporter for The Times covering the American South, based in Nashville.

A version of this article appears in print on Feb. 1, 2026, Section A, Page 22 of the New York edition with the headline: Judge Orders Release of Boy. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

Related Content

Advertisement

SKIP ADVERTISEMENT