Skip to main contentSkip to navigationSkip to navigation

Support the Guardian

Last chance to fund independent journalism with 50% off
Claim discount
Claim discount
a car on the road
A Waymo driverless taxi is shown driving in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California on 13 January 2026. Photograph: Mike Blake/Reuters
A Waymo driverless taxi is shown driving in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California on 13 January 2026. Photograph: Mike Blake/Reuters

US regulators open inquiry into Waymo self-driving car that struck child in California

Federal transportation regulator to investigate after child in Santa Monica sustained minor injuries from incident

The US’s federal transportation regulator said Thursday it had opened an investigation after a Waymo self-driving vehicle struck a child near an elementary school in southern California last week, causing minor injuries.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the child in Santa Monica ran across the street on 23 January from behind a double parked SUV towards the school and was struck by the Waymo autonomous vehicle during normal school drop-off hours. The agency said there were other children, a crossing guard, and several double-parked vehicles in the vicinity.

The federal agency is opening a preliminary evaluation to investigate whether the Waymo AV exercised appropriate caution given its proximity to the elementary school during drop-off hours, and the presence of young pedestrians and other potential vulnerable road users. The agency said it plans to examine the vehicle’s “intended behavior in school zones and neighboring areas, especially during normal school pick up/drop off times, including but not limited to its adherence to posted speed limits” and will “also investigate Waymo’s post-impact response”.

skip past newsletter promotion

Waymo said in a post on its blog: “The Waymo Driver braked hard, reducing speed from approximately 17 mph to under 6 mph before contact was made.”

“To put this in perspective, our peer-reviewed model shows that a fully attentive human driver in this same situation would have made contact with the pedestrian at approximately 14 mph,” the post reads. According to Waymo, the child stood up and walked to the sidewalk. The autonomous car moved to the side of the road.

The US transportation regulator has also opened an investigation into how Waymo vehicles approach school buses. Multiple schools reported incidents of the autonomous vehicles failing to stop or fully slow down as children were being dropped off.

Related stories

Related stories

  • Five tech trends we’ll be watching in 2026

  • Amazon launches robotaxi service in San Francisco in challenge to Google’s Waymo

  • Waymo announces that its robotaxis will drive freeways for the first time

  • The race begins to make the world’s best self-driving cars

  • US investigates Waymo robotaxis over safety around school buses

  • Will the future of transportation be robotaxis – or your own self-driving car?

  • TechScape: Self-driving cars are here and they’re watching you

  • Uber allowed to continue self-driving car project but must return files to Waymo

More from News

More from News

  • Iran
    Iran seeks to avert US military action with talks in Ankara

  • Minnesota
    Justice department charges man accused of attacking Ilhan Omar at town hall

  • Canada
    Canada separatists accused of ‘treason’ after secret talks with US state department

  • Crans-Montana fire
    Criminal investigation opened into two officials over deadly new year Swiss fire

  • China
    Keir Starmer opens door to UK visit by Xi Jinping after bilateral talks

  • Genetics
    The secret to long life? It could be in the genes after all, say scientists

  • Ukraine
    Trump claims Putin agreed to halt Ukraine energy strikes amid extreme cold

  • The White Lotus
    Helena Bonham Carter joins Steve Coogan for The White Lotus season four

  • Greenland
    Greenland threats no laughing matter, says mayor after comic’s flag stunt

Most viewed

Most viewed