Election forums for Hong Kong’s “patriots only” legislative polls will resume on Wednesday, after they were suspended for about a week in the wake of the fatal Tai Po blaze, Chief Secretary Eric Chan has said.

Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po on December 2, 2025, days after a fatal fire engulfed seven of the eight blocks of the residential estate. Photo: Tom Grundy/HKFP.
Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po on December 2, 2025, days after a fatal fire engulfed seven of the eight blocks of the residential estate. Photo: Tom Grundy/HKFP.

Asked by reporters on Tuesday whether it would be appropriate to hold the forums and elections while the city was still grieving, Chan said that the forums would resume, but celebrations, including a free concert to boost poll turnout, would be cancelled.

He said that during the election forums, Legislative Council (LegCo) candidates would be asked about the deadly fire and that the events would give voters a chance to familiarise themselves with the contenders.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the death toll in the Wang Fuk Court blaze had risen to 156. The inferno broke out last week, 11 days before Hong Kong’s second “patriots only” legislative polls.

Just hours earlier on Tuesday, Hong Kong leader John Lee said the election would go ahead as scheduled on Sunday.

‘Best way to help’

“We really do need a Legislative Council as soon as possible,” Chan told reporters in Cantonese. “Our efforts to help those affected by the [Wang Fuk Court] fire must be supported by LegCo.”

The legislature would also be responsible for approving funding applications for fire relief efforts, Chan added.

“We hope that all eligible voters can come out and cast their ballots,” he said. “This is the best way to help.”

The Hong Kong government holds an election forum for candidates of the New Territories North West geographical constituency on November 12, 2025. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
The Hong Kong government holds an election forum for candidates of the New Territories North West geographical constituency on November 12, 2025. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

Speaking at the same press conference, Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs Erick Tsang, whose bureau oversees electoral affairs, said that dedicated social workers assigned to help residents of Wang Fuk Court who have temporarily resettled in transitional homes would arrange transportation for the residents on voting day.

He added that other residents in the area affected by special traffic arrangements would be able to go to polling stations by dedicated shuttle buses.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the death toll in the Wang Fuk Court blaze had risen to 156. The inferno broke out on Wednesday last week, 11 days before Hong Kong’s second “patriots only” legislative polls.

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

James Lee is a reporter at Hong Kong Free Press with an interest in culture and social issues. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English and a minor in Journalism from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, where he witnessed the institution’s transformation over the course of the 2019 extradition bill protests and after the passing of the Beijing-imposed security law.

Since joining HKFP in 2023, he has covered local politics, the city’s housing crisis, as well as landmark court cases including the 47 democrats national security trial. He was previously a reporter at The Standard where he interviewed pro-establishment heavyweights and extensively covered the Covid-19 pandemic and Hong Kong’s political overhauls under the national security law.