Hong Kong’s disease control authority has urged schoolchildren to receive the seasonal influenza vaccination as soon as possible following two severe paediatric flu infection cases in two consecutive days.

Afternoon schools suspended students rain
A schoolchild in Hong Kong. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) said on Tuesday that a two-year-old girl with an underlying illness was in critical condition. The girl was admitted to Princess Margaret Hospital and tested positive for influenza A infection, complicated by severe pneumonia.

The CHP previously announced on Monday another case of a severe influenza A infection involving a two-year-old girl who was previously in good health.

Neither toddler has received a seasonal influenza vaccination this year, and their household contacts were asymptomatic, according to the CHP.

With the latest two cases, there have been 12 recorded cases of severe influenza infections affecting children aged two to 17 since the start of the school year in September, the CHP said. Among them was a 13-year-old girl who succumbed to the illness on October 12.

As of Monday, 587 cases had been reported in schools since September, including 62 cases in kindergarten and child care centres, 315 in primary schools, and 210 in secondary schools, according to Edwin Tsui, the controller of the CHP.

“Members of the public, especially children, the elderly and those with underlying illnesses, should seek medical advice promptly if presented with fever and respiratory symptoms, for early treatment,” Tsui said in a statement on Tuesday.

“As children with influenza can deteriorate rapidly, parents must pay close attention to their children’s condition,” he added.

Back row, from right: Ronald Lam, director of health, and Edwin Tsui, controller of the Centre for Health Protection, watch a pupil at Hong Kong Young Women's Christian Association Tai Hon Fan Nursery School receiving an influenza vaccine on November 4, 2024.
Back row, from right: Ronald Lam, director of health, and Edwin Tsui, controller of the Centre for Health Protection, watch a pupil at Hong Kong Young Women’s Christian Association Tai Hon Fan Nursery School receiving an influenza vaccine on November 4, 2024. File photo: GovHK.

A government-funded vaccination programme has begun, offering free or subsidised flu jabs to eligible high-risk groups. Schools may choose to participate in the programme with outreach vaccination activities.

Parents are also urged to take their children to public health centres, hospitals and clinics to receive the vaccination.

Tsui also advised high-risk individuals – including schoolchildren and the elderly – and people with respiratory symptoms to wear a mask when staying in crowded places.

Last week, Tsui warned that Hong Kong’s summer flu season was expected to continue into November and overlap with the coming winter flu season.

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

Hans Tse is a reporter at Hong Kong Free Press with an interest in local politics, academia, and media transformation. He was previously a social science researcher, with writing published in the Social Movement Studies and Social Transformation of Chinese Societies journals. He holds an M.Phil in communication from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

Before joining HKFP, he also worked as a freelance reporter for Initium between 2019 and 2021, where he covered the height - and aftermath - of the 2019 protests, as well as the sweeping national security law imposed by Beijing in 2020.