Hong Kong’s finance chief has defended the government’s plan to cancel the HK$2,500 student subsidy after being quizzed by lawmakers over the lack of consultation.

Hong Kong students. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Hong Kong students. File photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

The non-means-tested student grant – provided to all students enrolled in kindergartens, primary and secondary schools – will no longer be available in the upcoming academic year, Financial Secretary Paul Chan announced on Wednesday in the 2025 Budget.

Nearly 800,000 students will be affected by the measure.

The subsidy was rolled out as a one-off relief measure in 2019, but it became a recurrent expenditure starting in the fiscal year 2020-21.

The subsidy cancellation was not mentioned during Chan’s budget speech in the Legislative Council (LegCo), during which he told lawmakers that “strictly containing public expenditure is a must.”

However, the policy was included in a supplementary document distributed to journalists at a closed-door working session during the budget speech.

Consultation with ‘some representatives’

During a LegCo briefing on Thursday, legislator Michael Luk asked the finance chief why the government decided to axe the student subsidy without any prior consultation, and whether the authorities would consider reversing its decision.

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan meets the press on February 26, 2025 after he delivered the 2025 Budget. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan meets the press on February 26, 2025, after he delivered the 2025 Budget. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

The grant has eased many parents’ financial burden at the start of the academic year, Luk said, adding that it should be retained to go in tandem with other “family-friendly” policies.

In response, Chan explained that while the 2 per cent spending cut was applicable to all government bureaux and departments, the actual budget-saving measures were devised by the bureau heads, he said.

The finance minister also said the Education Bureau had communicated with “some representatives” from the education sector in the legislature, without naming which legislator had been consulted.

See also: Budget 2025: Measures do not address poverty, Hong Kong NGO says

Following the LegCo briefing, Chu Kwok-keung of the education functional constituency said the authorities had never consulted his opinions on the grant cancellation.

During previous formal and informal communication with the government, the authorities had never mentioned axing the HK$2,500 subsidy, he said.

“I urge the relevant policy bureau to review and improve the communication mechanism. For expenditure revisions involving significant public interest, the authorities should conduct extensive consultations, including listening to the opinions of sector-specific legislators,” Chu wrote in Chinese on Facebook.

Hong Kong lawmaker Chu Kwok-keung. File photo: Chu Kwok-keung, via Facebook.
Hong Kong lawmaker Chu Kwok-keung. File photo: Chu Kwok-keung, via Facebook.

In his Wednesday speech, Chan had described the latest budget as a “reinforced version” of the fiscal consolidation programme.

He said the government would cut its spending by 7 per cent over the coming three years, as the city logged an estimated HK$87.2 billion deficit.

‘Challenging situation’

In a press conference on Thursday, Secretary for Education Christine Choi said the government aimed to reduce education spending by about HK$6.2 billion. She estimated that the student grant cancellation could help the government save around HK$2 billion a year.

“Today, we can see that the government will face a challenging situation in terms of its finances in the coming years,” she said in Cantonese. “We think there is a need to review the resources allocated on education, hoping it is more effective and targeted.”

Asked about the bureau’s consultation efforts, Choi said the Education Bureau had communicated with lawmakers and stakeholders through different channels. But the authorities would not disclose specific policies to the legislators, she said.

members promo splash

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

Ho Long Sze Kelly is a Hong Kong-based journalist covering politics, criminal justice, human rights, social welfare and education. As a Senior Reporter at Hong Kong Free Press, she has covered the aftermath of the 2019 extradition bill protests and the Covid-19 pandemic extensively, as well as documented the transformation of her home city under the Beijing-imposed national security law.

Kelly has a bachelor's degree in Journalism from the University of Hong Kong, with a second major in Politics and Public Administration. Prior to joining HKFP in 2020, she was on the frontlines covering the 2019 citywide unrest for South China Morning Post’s Young Post. She also covered sports and youth-related issues.