Hong Kong authorities have fined 21 restaurants for breaching the city’s disposable plastic ban in the year since the policy came into effect.

A customer's takeout order, contained in plastic and Styrofoam boxes. Photo: James Lee/HKFP.
A customer’s takeout order, contained in plastic and Styrofoam boxes. Photo: James Lee/HKFP.

Under the first phase of the citywide plastic ban, which began in April last year, restaurants are prohibited from using styrofoam tableware, as well as most single-use plastic items such as utensils, stirrers, and plates. They had a six-month “adaptation period,” which ended in October.

Plastic cups and food containers are currently still allowed to be sold and used for takeaway but cannot be distributed for dine-in purposes.

In a Facebook post published on Monday – a day before Earth Day – the Environment and Ecology Bureau (EEB) said that it had received 122 reports of restaurants suspected of violating the ban between October, when the adaptation period ended, and mid-April.

Most of the eateries complied after follow-up by the authorities, and only 21 restaurants were fined for still breaching the rule despite receiving a written warning, the bureau said.

Japanese restaurant
A Japanese restaurant in Shek Tong Tsui. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

A business will be fined HK$2,000 if it fails to comply within 10 days after receiving a warning for violating the plastic ban.

However, the EEB also highlighted some improvements. “Relative to the over 26,000 eateries in Hong Kong, we can see that the sector has mostly gotten used to the new laws,” it wrote in the Chinese-language post.

See also: Hong Kong restaurants cut waste – and sometimes costs – as plastics ban goes into force

It added that an increasing number of customers have been getting into the habit of bringing their own reusable cutlery and that restaurants have also been using alternatives to plastic.

“The restaurant chains say that more than 80 percent of their customers no longer ask for takeaway cutlery, thereby preventing over 60 million sets of disposable cutlery from being dumped into landfills in Hong Kong,” the bureau also said.

‘Low-carbon city’

Under the second phase, the ban will be extended to more types of tableware including plastic cups, cup lids, food containers and food container covers, which are currently only banned for dine-in services but still allowed for takeaway customers.

No timeline has yet been announced for the second phase and the Facebook post also did not mention when the new rules would kick in.

But the bureau said it was preparing to collaborate with “large-scale restaurant groups” to conduct tests in the middle of the year for plastic alternatives to identify substitutes that would “affect citizens’ lives the least.”

buses
Buses outside department store Sogo in Causeway Bay. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

The bureau hopes to promote a plastic-free culture and turn Hong Kong into a “green, low-carbon city,” it added.

According to Hong Kong’s Climate Action Plan 2050, which was released in 2021, the city aims to reduce carbon emissions by 50 per cent from the 2005 levels before 2035, and to achieve carbon neutrality before 2050.

Green groups, however, have criticised the plan, saying it does not have a mechanism for reporting the progress of meeting the objectives.

The government should establish regular reporting and clear reduction targets for different sectors, they said.

members promo splash

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

Hillary Leung is a journalist at Hong Kong Free Press, where she reports on local politics and social issues, and assists with editing. Since joining in late 2021, she has covered the Covid-19 pandemic, political court cases including the 47 democrats national security trial, and challenges faced by minority communities.

Born and raised in Hong Kong, Hillary completed her undergraduate degree in journalism and sociology at the University of Hong Kong. She worked at TIME Magazine in 2019, where she wrote about Asia and overnight US news before turning her focus to the protests that began that summer. At Coconuts Hong Kong, she covered general news and wrote features, including about a Black Lives Matter march that drew controversy amid the local pro-democracy movement and two sisters who were born to a domestic worker and lived undocumented for 30 years in Hong Kong.