Hong Kong will cut government spending by 7 per cent over the coming three years, Financial Secretary Paul Chan has announced in his 2025 budget speech, as the city logged an estimated HK$87.2 billion deficit.

Speaking at the Legislative Council on Wednesday, Chan said that the current fiscal year deficit marks the third shortfall in a row after the city recorded a deficit of HK$122 billion in 2022/23, and HK$101.6 billion last year.

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan delivers the 2025 Budget at the Legislative Council on February 26, 2025. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan delivers the 2025 Budget at the Legislative Council on February 26, 2025. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

Chan last month estimated that the fiscal deficit would fall just below HK$100 billion, following earlier estimations that the shortfall would reach that figure for the third consecutive year.

The government will rely on cost-cutting measures to balance its books, Chan said, while finding new revenue sources was “not a top priority.”

“Taking into account the issuance of government bonds of HK$130 billion and repayments of HK$22.1 billion, it is expected that there will be a consolidated deficit of HK$87.2 billion for 2024‑25,” Chan said.

Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan shakes hand with a lawmaker in the Legislative Council on February 26, 2025, before he delivers the 2025 Budget. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.
Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan shakes hand with a lawmaker in the Legislative Council on February 26, 2025, before he delivers the 2025 Budget. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

Fiscal reserves are expected to hit HK$647.3 billion by 31 March 2025, he added.

Land revenue slows

This year’s deficit was up from the HK$48 billion deficit forecast in Chan’s budget speech last year. The minister has cited a hobbled property market that has taken a toll on government revenue from land sales and stamp duties.

Land-related revenue has conventionally been a main source of income for the Hong Kong government, but those figures have plunged in recent years. As of January, Hong Kong has brought in HK$4.3 billion in land revenue — 12 per cent of the HK$33 billion target set last year, according to Reuters.

YouTube video

Chan also said on Wednesday that the government will reduce a cumulative 7 per cent in recurrent expenditure from now, through to the 2027-28 fiscal year.

“Strictly containing public expenditure is a must, but we should proceed in a steady and prudent manner and be careful to find a balance among the various impacts that may arise in the process,” Chan said earlier that morning.

The cost-cutting goal would give the government a “clear pathway” towards restoring fiscal balance within the current administration’s term, Chan added.

members promo splash

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

James Lee is a reporter at Hong Kong Free Press with an interest in culture and social issues. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English and a minor in Journalism from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, where he witnessed the institution’s transformation over the course of the 2019 extradition bill protests and after the passing of the Beijing-imposed security law.

Since joining HKFP in 2023, he has covered local politics, the city’s housing crisis, as well as landmark court cases including the 47 democrats national security trial. He was previously a reporter at The Standard where he interviewed pro-establishment heavyweights and extensively covered the Covid-19 pandemic and Hong Kong’s political overhauls under the national security law.