Hong Kong’s consumer watchdog received more than 500 complaints about concerts and other live performances this year, a 10 per cent increase on last year, with complaints ranging from changes in the advertised performer line-up to obscured views of the stage.

“Hong Kong is an acclaimed events capital, with the government vigorously promoting its thriving mega-event economy,” said a Consumer Council statement issued Friday. “Regrettably, the Consumer Council often receives complaints related to these public performances.”

Clockenflap Festival 2023 December
Clockenflap Festival on December 1, 2023. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP.

As of October, the council had received 529 complaints from disgruntled concertgoers – 51 more than in the same period last year – about denied refunds despite changes in the performer line-up, unclear wording about fan meetings, and stage equipment obstructing the audience’s view.

The council urged the industry to maintain transparency by “clearly highlighting any restrictions and risks, thereby empowering consumers to make informed decisions.”

“While organisers should strive to deliver on their advertised promises, if changes are necessary due to unexpected circumstances, they should promptly inform affected consumers and offer considerate, flexible rearrangements,” it said.

Line-up changes, obstructed views

The watchdog also said concertgoers should also be aware that changes to individual performers may not necessarily warrant a refund. It cited the case of a mainland Chinese resident who sought a refund after line-up changes for three acts were announced for a three-day outdoor music festival.

See also: Hong Kong consumer watchdog finds ‘shrinkflation’ in city’s supermarket products, urges greater transparency

The company, identified only as Company A, refused a refund since the ticket covered all performances. So the complainant requested a ticket for the next year’s event instead.

But the company said the concertgoer had made a personal decision not to attend, and refused to make additional arrangements. “The Council recommended the complainant to consider consulting legal advice before deciding whether to seek further redress,” it said.

Victor Lam (left) and Gilly Wong (right) of the Consumer Council on November 15, 2024. Photo: Screenshot via RTHK.
Victor Lam (left) and Gilly Wong (right) of the Consumer Council on November 15, 2024. Photo: Screenshot via RTHK.

In another case, a concertgoer bought tickets for seats but the view of the stage was blocked by suspended speakers. The seats were not labelled as “obstructed view seats” when he bought the tickets.

The same concertgoer also complained about numerous dead pixels on LED screens on stage.

The council contacted the company multiple times to relay complaints but had yet to receive any response, according to the statement. “As such, the Council has filed the case and will continue to monitor the company’s practices,” it said.

The watchdog also urged consumers to carefully read the terms and conditions and pay attention to real-name registration arrangements when buying tickets.

members promo splash

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

James Lee is a reporter at Hong Kong Free Press with an interest in culture and social issues. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in English and a minor in Journalism from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, where he witnessed the institution’s transformation over the course of the 2019 extradition bill protests and after the passing of the Beijing-imposed security law.

Since joining HKFP in 2023, he has covered local politics, the city’s housing crisis, as well as landmark court cases including the 47 democrats national security trial. He was previously a reporter at The Standard where he interviewed pro-establishment heavyweights and extensively covered the Covid-19 pandemic and Hong Kong’s political overhauls under the national security law.