The Hong Kong police have arrested more people in relation to the July 1 storming of the Legislative Council building, including an activist, an actor, and a reporter. The arrests come ahead of mass protests to mark China’s National Day on Tuesday.

Activist Ventus Lau, actor Gregory Wong and Ma Kai-chung, a reporter and show host for Passion Times – a news outlet recognised by the Hong Kong government – were arrested on Monday morning.

All three were detained on two charges, including conspiracy to criminal damage, as well as “entering or remaining in precincts of Chamber” under the Legislative Council (Powers and Privileges) Ordinance.

Gregory Wong
Gregory Wong. Photo: Citizen News.

On July 1, hundreds of masked anti-government protesters broke into and vandalised the legislature in an escalation of events earlier in the day which saw police use pepper spray against crowds occupying thoroughfares in Admiralty.

Lau has organised several pro-democracy rallies during the ongoing protests, whilst Wong has publicly voiced support for the movement.

Passion Time said in a statement that Ma held a press pass on July 1 inside the Legislative Council as he was covering the news.

Ventus Lau
Ventus Lau Photo: Holmes Chan/HKFP.

“We condemn the police action which seriously hinders press freedom, creating white terror,” it said.

According to photos shared online, police also arrested other protesters on Monday and searched their homes after presenting search warrants.

Since June, large-scale peaceful protests against a bill that would have enabled extraditions to China have evolved into sometimes violent displays of dissent over Beijing’s encroachment, democracy and alleged police brutality.

Protest banned

The arrests were made ahead of a banned march on Tuesday proposed by the NGO alliance, the Civil Human Rights Front. The Front appealed the ban on Monday, but it was upheld by an appeal board. Police said that the Front was unable to guarantee a peaceful march.

Jimmy Sham, convener of the Front, said that Hong Kong’s human rights situation was going backwards as the public cannot legally join a peaceful march on October 1.

Jimmy Sham Figo Chan CHRF the Civil Human Rights Front
Convener Jimmy Sham (centre-left) and Vice-Convener Figo Chan (centre-right) of the Civil Human Rights Front. File Photo: inmediahk.net.

“We know that civil society will have their own response to this ban,” he said. “We can only hope residents will be safe on October 1 – no bloodshed, no injuries, no arrests.”

However, pro-democracy activist Lee Cheuk-yan, a former lawmaker, has said that he will carry on and host the march on Tuesday regardless.

Meanwhile, protesters have urged each other to tuck in their shirts when they protest on October 1. The advice is in response to undercover police officers spotted at protest scenes who often carry police-issued pistols on their waist.

On Sunday, after the identities of a group of undercover officers were discovered by protesters, an officer fired a warning shot to deter protesters.

With multi-district protests planned, the MTR announced late on Monday that Admiralty, Wan Chai and Prince Edward metro stations will not open on Tuesday. A large number of shopping malls around Hong Kong have also said they will remain closed.


Hong Kong Free Press relies on direct reader support. Help safeguard independent journalism and press freedom as we invest more in freelancers, overtime, safety gear & insurance during this summer’s protests. 10 ways to support us.

fundraising fundraise banner

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

Kris Cheng is a Hong Kong journalist with an interest in local politics. His work has been featured in Washington Post, Public Radio International, Hong Kong Economic Times and others. He has a BSSc in Sociology from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Kris is HKFP's Editorial Director.