A proposal by Singapore to give police broad powers to block electronic communications at the scene of terror attacks was criticised Thursday by rights groups as stifling press freedom.

The interior ministry earlier this week supported a bill that would allow police to stop anyone within the vicinity of an incident from taking photos and video or communicating about police operations through text and audio messages.

singapore police
Singapore police. File photo: Roslan Rahman/AFP.

They argued that during terror attacks elsewhere live broadcasts had unwittingly helped assailants to anticipate moves against them.

Fears are growing that the affluent city-state is a prime target for a militant attack, with the government warning it is a matter of when, not if.

However activists said the proposal risked further damaging what they said was Singapore’s already poor record on press freedom.

“Singapore’s proposed ban on photographing or videoing terror attacks would black out the news precisely when the public needs to be accurately informed,” said Shawn Crispin, Southeast Asia representative of the Committee to Protect Journalists.

Media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said there was no law like it in the world, with China’s anti-terrorism legislation the closest thing to it.

Daniel Bastard, from the group’s Asia-Pacific division, criticised the “poorly drafted bill”.

media press freedom journalism
File photo: UN.

“It would be a serious breach in Singapore’s already poor record regarding freedom of the press,” he said.

Singapore’s domestic media is tightly controlled. RSF ranks the city-state 151st out of 180 countries in its World Press Freedom Index, with a number-one ranking being the country considered to be doing the best.

Singapore authorities defended the draft legislation.

“It is not meant to restrict press freedom or public access to information,” the Ministry of Home Affairs said in a statement.

It said restrictions would apply only at specific locations and when security operations are ongoing.

“There is no intention for the Communications Stop Order to be used widely,” the ministry added.

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

Agence France-Press (AFP) is "a leading global news agency providing fast, comprehensive and verified coverage of the events shaping our world and of the issues affecting our daily lives." HKFP relies on AFP, and its international bureaus, to cover topics we cannot. Read their Ethics Code here