Hong Kong’s Leisure and Cultural Services Department says that fireworks intended for Saturday’s cancelled Lunar New Year display have been destroyed for safety reasons.

Five tonnes of fireworks, worth HK$8.8 million, were disposed of within 30 minutes from barges near the Soko Islands early on Saturday morning.

The annual Victoria Harbour event was scrapped after 19 people died and dozens were injured in a bus crash in Tai Po last weekend.

A department spokesperson said that the fireworks could not be used elsewhere in the future, as they had already been unsealed.

fireworks hong kong cancelled
screenshot, via YouTube.

Trade Industry Council Chairperson Jason Wong has urged the government to assist shops and restaurants affected by the cancellation, according to RTHK.

The festive display – involving 29,000 pyrotechnic shells – was set to usher in the Year of the Dog on the second day of Lunar New Year. It was also cancelled in 2013, after the Lamma Island ferry disaster claimed the lives of 39 people.

Support HKFP  |  Policies & Ethics  |  Error/typo?  |  Contact Us  |  Newsletter  | Transparency & Annual Report | Apps

Safeguard press freedom; keep HKFP free for all readers by supporting our team

HK$
HK$

Members of HK$150/month unlock 8 benefits: An HKFP deer keyring or tote; exclusive Tim Hamlett columns; feature previews; merch drops/discounts; "behind the scenes" insights; a chance to join newsroom Q&As, early access to our Annual/Transparency Report & all third-party banner ads disabled.

The Trust Project HKFP
Journalist Trust Initiative HKFP
Society of Publishers in Asia
International Press Institute
Oxfam Living Wage Employer
Google Play hkfp
hkfp app Apple
hkfp payment methods
YouTube video
YouTube video

Tom founded Hong Kong Free Press in 2015 as the city's first crowdfunded newspaper. He has a BA in Communications and New Media from Leeds University and an MA in Journalism from the University of Hong Kong. He previously founded an NGO advocating for domestic worker rights, and has contributed to the BBC, Deutsche Welle, Al-Jazeera and others.

Tom leads HKFP – raising funds, managing the team and navigating risk – whilst regularly speaking on press freedom, ethics and media funding at industry events, schools and conferences around the world.