Exclusive | China’s sovereign fund sidelines executives amid worries over US scrutiny
China Investment Corporation has reassigned three department heads and delayed its 2024 report amid US pressure on foreign inflows
China’s flagship sovereign wealth fund has moved three of its managing directors to new, subordinate roles, sources told the Post, with the heads of the fund’s fixed income, private equity and public relations departments all taking new non-managerial positions.
No reasons were given for the reshuffle, and the fund did not immediately reply to an emailed request for comment.
China’s economic growth softens in October as property sector continues to drag investment
Official data points to uneven recovery last month, but analysts do not expect major stimulus as annual growth target within reach
National fixed-asset investment fell by 1.7 per cent from January to October, a significant widening of the 0.5 per cent drop recorded in the first nine months and an even steeper decline than the 0.71 per cent decrease forecast by Chinese financial data provider Wind.
A National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) official partly attributed the fall to cautious investor sentiment and the slowdown in the property market, but expressed confidence that Beijing would achieve its annual growth target.
“The external environment is complex and challenging, while domestic competition is intense, and with declining investment returns, market participants have become more cautious in making investment decisions,” said Fu Linghui, spokesperson for the bureau, at a press conference for the data release on Friday.
“With weaker corporate profitability and the reduced appetite of private investors, overall investment growth slowed.”
He added that investment in real estate accounted for a 3 percentage point drag on overall investment, since the sector makes up a large share of the total.