Advertisement
Advertisement
South China Morning Post

AI-powered fraud: Chinese paper mills are mass-producing fake academic research

3 min read
Generate Key Takeaways

Chinese paper mills are using generative artificial intelligence tools to mass produce forged academic papers, a new investigation by the mainland's state broadcaster has found.

The report, which aired Sunday on China Central Television's (CCTV) "Financial Investigation" programme, found paper mill workers using generative AI chatbots to help them each complete over 30 academic articles a week.

Paper mills that sell authorship or fabricate entire papers are a staple of China's competitive academic landscape, where many students and researchers are subject to strict publishing targets.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

In the CCTV report, several paper mills advertised their one-stop-shop ghostwriting services on e-commerce and social media platforms, including eventual submissions to leading academic journals.

Chinese paper mills are using generative AI to mass produce forged academic papers, a new investigation by the mainland's state broadcaster has found. Photo: CCTV alt=Chinese paper mills are using generative AI to mass produce forged academic papers, a new investigation by the mainland's state broadcaster has found. Photo: CCTV>

As these platforms block marketing terms such as "academic ghostwriter", paper mills initially describe their services as academic support or editing. Some even ironically describe themselves as AI detectors - tools for detecting AI-generated content.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The proliferation of cheap generative AI tools has enabled paper mills that previously relied on manual human labour to ramp up output. According to CCTV, one Wuhan-based agency had over 40,000 orders annually, with prices ranging from a few hundred US dollars to several thousand.

The agency marketed its papers as being ghostwritten by university teachers, but CCTV found that they were instead penned by unqualified workers using a variety of AI tools.

While workers were previously restricted to their areas of expertise, AI tools now allow them to forge papers on a wider range of subjects. Another Wuhan-based agency encouraged new job applicants with humanities backgrounds to forge papers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics as they demand higher prices.

A commentary published Monday in state-run paper The Beijing News said that China's paper mills were becoming more efficient and produced higher quality papers, making them harder to catch, because of AI.

A screen shot from the CCTV report. Photo: CCTV alt=A screen shot from the CCTV report. Photo: CCTV>

Advertisement
Advertisement

"Various AI tools work together, with some specialising in thinking, others in searching, and others in text editing ... This has further expanded the scale and industrialisation of paper mill fraud," it said.

In January, the Supreme People's Court called for "severe punishments" for the country's paper mills after the Ministry of Education ordered a national audit of retracted papers last year.

A study jointly published in August by the Chinese Academy of Sciences and international publisher Taylor & Francis found that university students in China were vulnerable to exploitation by paper mills due to "limited access" to research ethics training.

The researchers warned that paper mills have also been found to have manipulated images, echoing mounting concerns globally about the use of image generation AI models to forge experimental data.

Advertisement
Advertisement

This article originally appeared in the South China Morning Post (SCMP), the most authoritative voice reporting on China and Asia for more than a century. For more SCMP stories, please explore the SCMP app or visit the SCMP's Facebook and Twitter pages. Copyright © 2025 South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.

Copyright (c) 2025. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Up next
The 74

Students Love AI Chatbots — No, Really

Mark Keierleber
5 min read
Generate Key Takeaways

School (in)Security is our biweekly briefing on the latest school safety news, vetted by Mark KeierleberSubscribe here.

The robots have taken over.

New research suggests that a majority of students use chatbots like ChatGPT for just about everything at school. To write essays. To solve complicated math problems. To find love.

Wait, what? 

Nearly a fifth of students said they or a friend have used artificial intelligence chatbots to form romantic relationships, according to a new survey by the nonprofit Center for Democracy & Technology. Some 42% said they or someone they know used the chatbots for mental health support, as an escape from real life or as a friend.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Eighty-six percent of students say they’ve used artificial intelligence chatbots in the past academic year — half to help with schoolwork.

The tech-enabled convenience, researchers conclude, doesn’t come without significant risks for young people. Namely, as AI proliferates in schools — with help from the federal government and a zealous tech industry — on a promise to improve student outcomes, they warn that young people could grow socially and emotionally disconnected from the humans in their lives.

Click here to read the CDT report


In the news

The latest in Trump’s immigration crackdown: The survey featured above, which quizzed students, teachers and parents, also offers startling findings on immigration enforcement in schools: 
While more than a quarter of educators said their school collects information about whether a student is undocumented, 17% said their district shares records — including grades and disciplinary information — with immigration enforcement.

Advertisement
Advertisement

In the last school year, 13% of teachers said a staff member at their school reported a student or parent to immigration enforcement of their own accord. | Center for Democracy & Technology

People hold signs as New York City officials speak at a press conference calling for the release of high school student Mamadou Mouctar Diallo outside of the Tweed Courthouse on Aug. 14 in New York City. (Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)
People hold signs as New York City officials speak at a press conference calling for the release of high school student Mamadou Mouctar Diallo outside of the Tweed Courthouse on Aug. 14 in New York City. (Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)
  • Call for answers: In the wake of immigration enforcement that’s ensnared children, New York congressional Democrats are demanding the feds release information about the welfare of students held in detention, my colleague Jo Napolitano reports. | The 74

  • A 13-year-old boy from Brazil, who has lived in a Boston suburb since 2021 with a pending asylum application, was scooped up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement after local police arrested him on a “credible tip” accusing him of making “a violent threat” against a classmate at school. The boy’s mother said her son wound up in a Virginia detention facility and was “desperate, saying ICE had taken him.” | CNN

  • Chicago teenagers are among a group of activists patrolling the city’s neighborhoods to monitor ICE’s deployment to the city and help migrants avoid arrest. | NPR

  • Immigration agents detained a Chicago Public Schools vendor employee outside a school, prompting educators to move physical education classes indoors out of an “abundance of caution.” | Chicago Sun-Times

  • A Des Moines, Iowa, high schooler was detained by ICE during a routine immigration check-in, placed in a Louisiana detention center and deported to Central America fewer than two weeks later. | Des Moines Register

  • A 15-year-old boy with disabilities — who was handcuffed outside a Los Angeles high school after immigration agents mistook him for a suspect — is among more than 170 U.S. citizens, including nearly 20 children, who have been detained during the first nine months of the president’s immigration push. | PBS

Trigger warning: After a Washington state teenager hanged himself on camera, the 13-year-old boy’s parents set out to find out what motivated their child to livestream his suicide on Instagram while online users watched. Evidence pointed to a sadistic online group that relies on torment, blackmail and coercion to weed out teens they deem weak. | The Washington Post

Civil rights advocates in New York are sounding the alarm over a Long Island school district’s new AI-powered surveillance system, which includes round-the-clock audio monitoring with in-classroom microphones. | StateScoop

Advertisement
Advertisement

A federal judge has ordered the Department of Defense to restock hundreds of books after a lawsuit alleged students were banned from checking out texts related to race and gender from school libraries on military bases in violation of the First Amendment. | Military.com

More than 600 armed volunteers in Utah have been approved to patrol campuses across the state to comply with a new law requiring armed security. Called school guardians, the volunteers are existing school employees who agree to be trained by local law enforcement and carry guns on campus. | KUER

Sign-up for the School (in)Security newsletter.

Get the most critical news and information about students' rights, safety and well-being delivered straight to your inbox.

No “Jackass”: Instagram announced new PG-13 content features that restrict teenagers from viewing posts that contain sex, drugs and “risky stunts.” | The Associated Press

Advertisement
Advertisement

A Tuscaloosa, Alabama, school resource officer restrained and handcuffed a county commissioner after a spat at an elementary school awards program. | Tuscaloosa News

The number of guns found at Minnesota schools has increased nearly threefold in the last several years, new state data show. | Axios

More than half of Florida’s school districts received bomb threats on a single evening last week. The threats weren’t credible, officials said, and appeared to be “part of a hoax intended to solicit money.” | News 6


ICYMI @The74

RAPID Survey Project, Stanford Center on Early Childhood
RAPID Survey Project, Stanford Center on Early Childhood

Survey: Nearly Half of Families with Young Kids Struggling to Meet Basic Needs

Education Department Leans on Right-Wing Allies to Push Civil Rights Probes

OPINION: To Combat Polarization and Political Violence, Let’s Connect Students Nationwide


Emotional Support

Thanks for reading,<br>—Marz
Thanks for reading,
—Marz
Advertisement
Advertisement
Up next
AFP

Nexperia, the new crisis looming for Europe's carmakers

by Frederique Pris and Jean-Philippe Lacour in Frankfurt
3 min read
Semiconductors are essential elements of modern cars as well as the machines used to make them (ANDER GILLENEA)
Semiconductors are essential elements of modern cars as well as the machines used to make them (ANDER GILLENEA)
(ANDER GILLENEA/AFP/AFP)

European automakers already buffeted by US tariffs and a rocky shift toward electric vehicles now face a new threat: a shortage of key semiconductors supplied by Chinese-owned Nexperia.

Beijing is locked in a standoff with Dutch officials who invoked a Cold War-era law in September to effectively take over the company, whose factories are in Europe.

Carmakers as well as parts suppliers have already warned of shortages that would force stoppages at production lines across the Continent.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Who is Nexperia?

The company produces relatively simple technologies such as diodes, voltage regulators and transistors that are nonetheless crucial, as vehicles increasingly rely on electronics.

The chips are mainly found in cars but also in a wide range of industrial components as well as consumer and mobile electronics like refrigerators.

It makes them in Europe before sending them to China for finishing, and are then re-exported back to European clients.

Based in the Netherlands and once part of electronics giant Philips, it was bought by Wingtech Technology of China in 2018.

But in September, the Dutch government took the unusual step of taking over the company, citing its "Goods Availability Law" of 1952 to ensure essential items.

Advertisement
Advertisement

In response, China banned any re-exports of Nexperia chips to Europe, igniting fresh geopolitical tensions.

Why is the automotive sector vulnerable?

Nexperia supplies 49 percent of the electronic components used in the European automotive industry, according to German financial daily Handelsblatt.

The European auto lobby ACEA warned this month that production would be seriously hit.

"Without these chips, European automotive suppliers cannot build the parts and components needed to supply vehicle manufacturers and this therefore threatens production stoppages," the group said.

For Germany alone, analysts at Deutsche Bank forecast a production drop of 10 percent while warning of a 30-percent cut in a "worst-case scenario".

Advertisement
Advertisement

How are automakers responding?

German auto giant Volkswagen has warned that it cannot not rule out "short term" production stoppages, while emphasising that it is searching for alternative suppliers.

Nexperia does not supply it directly but some of its parts suppliers use its chips.

Bosch, for example, says it has not yet reduced employee shifts at its German sites "but we are preparing to do so at our Salzgitter site", a spokesman told AFP.

But French parts maker Valeo said it had "visibility for the coming weeks" with regards to "all its components".

It said it had found alternatives for "95 percent of the volumes" bought each year from Nexperia, but "they haven't yet been approved by our clients".

Advertisement
Advertisement

Other suppliers?

According to OPmobility, another French parts maker, Nexperia's chips, while widely used, are not "unique" in terms of technology and therefore "easily substitutable".

But suppliers have to get the new products approved by automakers, which cannot be done quickly.

"They're looking frantically for other suppliers but these firms cannot build production capacity overnight," said Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer, director of Germany's Center Automotive Research institute.

"In the worst case this situation could go on for 12 to 18 months," he told AFP.

Advertisement
Advertisement

He added however since the disruptions cause by global lockdowns during the Covid-19 pandemic, "we've learned to pay more attention, both among general management and purchasing teams".

In any case, Dudenhoeffer said, "100 percent protection against supply disruptions is impossible -- or in any case prohibitively expensive".

jpl-fmp/js/jj

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement