We use cookies to tailor your experience and present relevant ads. By clicking “Accept”, you agree that cookies can be placed per our Privacy Policy
ACCEPT
Advertisement

South Koreans cancel Southeast Asia holidays over Cambodia trafficking fears

Reports of South Koreans being held captive and tortured at scam compounds have led to travel bans and ripple effects on regional tourism

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Listen
Advertisement
Cambodian police officers stand at the closed gate of the Poipet International Border Checkpoint in Banteay Meanchey province on June 24, 2025. Photo: AFP
South Koreans are cancelling holidays not only to Cambodia but also to neighbouring Southeast Asian countries such as Thailand, Vietnam and Laos, spooked by government travel bans and reports of compatriots being kidnapped, trafficked or killed by regional crime syndicates.
Advertisement

A man in his fifties surnamed Son told the Korea JoongAng Daily he had just cancelled a December golf trip with friends to Phnom Penh. “It’s a waste to lose the cancellation fee,” he said, “but I just can’t bring myself to go to Cambodia right now.”

Concerns have deepened after recent reports about a 22-year-old South Korean college student who was found dead in August in Cambodia’s Kampot province. Authorities said he died of cardiac arrest after being tortured at a compound linked to online scam operations.

In an online community for sharing Southeast Asia travel information, one user wrote: “I was planning to take my child to Angkor Wat for a history lesson, but I’ll have to give up on that for now.”

South Korea bans travel to Cambodia scam hotspots

South Korea bans travel to Cambodia scam hotspots

On Wednesday, South Korea issued a “code-black” travel ban for parts of Cambodia linked to scam operations.

Advertisement

“The Bokor Mountain area in Kampot Province, Bavet City and Poipet City are designated as travel ban zones,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.

“South Korean nationals visiting or staying in those areas may be subject to penalties. Citizens planning to travel to such areas are therefore strongly advised to cancel their trips.”

The warning followed an official estimate that about 1,000 South Koreans were among roughly 200,000 people coerced into working in scam compounds across Cambodia.

Regional ripple effect

The backlash has rippled beyond Cambodia, with travellers now avoiding other parts of Southeast Asia seen as potential spillover zones for such criminal activity.

Advertisement

A 46-year-old office worker named Park Young-su told the Korea JoongAng Daily he had cancelled a family holiday to Da Nang, Vietnam, amid reports that “criminal organisations are moving from Cambodia to Vietnam”.

He added: “I was planning to go with my elementary and middle school-aged kids, but safety is a big concern now. We’re thinking about going to Jeju Island or Japan instead.”

Police told The Korea Herald on Wednesday that they were investigating the death of a South Korean woman found last week in Vietnam near the Cambodian border.

Advertisement

Her case has been linked to Cambodian scam networks after another South Korean – who escaped after being forced to work as a courier for illegal “borrowed-name” accounts – claimed she had been “confined at a local hotel for an extended period of time”.

Similar anxieties have surfaced over Laos. One online post read: “I’m supposed to go to Laos in January, but now I’m really anxious since so many people are cancelling.”

Two Korean men show scars while recounting their experiences of torture inside a criminal compound during an interview at the immigration office of the Sihanoukville Provincial Police Department in Cambodia on Wednesday. Photo: Korea Times
Two Korean men show scars while recounting their experiences of torture inside a criminal compound during an interview at the immigration office of the Sihanoukville Provincial Police Department in Cambodia on Wednesday. Photo: Korea Times

In May, the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre reported that victims trafficked into Laos had been forced to work up to 17 hours a day in scam compounds.

Advertisement

Local governments and civic groups are also scaling back or cancelling plans for Cambodian trips, according to the Korea JoongAng Daily report.

The Gyeonggi provincial government is recalling its Youth Climate Envoy team of 34 volunteers earlier than their originally scheduled return date of October 28.

The Suwon and Incheon city governments, as well as the Gyeonggi Social Workers’ Association, have all suspended their overseas volunteer programmes to Cambodia.

Advertisement

The United Nations and other agencies estimate that cyber scams – many originating in Southeast Asia – generate billions of dollars annually for transnational criminal networks.

Rights groups have described the operations as a form of modern slavery, with victims often lured by fake job offers and later forced into online fraud.

Travel agencies in Seoul are already feeling the impact. One small agency specialising in Cambodia tours told the Korea JoongAng Daily that business had all but collapsed for the time being.

Advertisement

“The December-to-February period is peak season, so we should be receiving reservations,” an employee said. “But since the news came out last week, not a single new booking has come in. Even people who already booked are calling to ask if it’s still safe to go, and we’re busy trying to reassure them that tourist areas remain safe.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Philippines extends win streak at world travel awards with top Asia honours

The honours include a leading beach destination in Asia nod for the eighth time and a seventh consecutive win as the region’s top diving spot

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Listen
The pristine sands of White Beach, which forms one of the main stretches of coastline on Boracay Island.  Boracay was named Asia’s Leading Luxury Island Destination at the 2025 World Travel Awards. Photo: Department of Tourism – Philippines
The Philippines, with a coastline stretching more than 36,000km (22,400 miles), cemented its reputation for beach holidays in Asia after being named – once again – as the best beach, dive and island destination in the 2025 World Travel Awards gala ceremony on Monday.
Advertisement

This year’s Asia’s Leading Beach Destination award was the country’s eighth, ABS-CBN reported. The Philippines also scored its seventh consecutive recognition as Asia’s Leading Dive Destination and back-to-back victory as Asia’s Leading Island Destination.

Its Department of Tourism was named Asia’s Leading Tourist Board, while Boracay was Asia’s Leading Luxury Island Destination and Clark Freeport Zone took Asia’s Leading Meetings and Conference Destination award.

Vietnam was another big winner, taking the Asia’s Leading Destination award as well as Asia’s Leading City Destination award for Hanoi and Asia’s Leading Regional Cultural Destination award for the Dong Van Karst Plateau Unesco Global Geopark.
A foreign tourist walks on a street in Hanoi, Vietnam, on Monday. Hanoi won the Asia’s Leading City Destination award at the 2025 World Travel Awards. Photo: EPA
A foreign tourist walks on a street in Hanoi, Vietnam, on Monday. Hanoi won the Asia’s Leading City Destination award at the 2025 World Travel Awards. Photo: EPA

Bali was voted Asia’s Leading Wedding Destination, while immersive art museum TeamLab Planets Tokyo claimed the title for Asia’s Leading Tourist Attraction.

Advertisement

The World Travel Awards, established in 1993, is regarded as the industry’s ultimate hallmark of quality, according to the Philippine Information Agency.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Choose your listening speed
Get through articles 2x faster
1.25x
250 WPM
Slow
Average
Fast
1.25x