Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
UpTopic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / voltage in pulsed tig
- -By hobart (*) Date 11-29-2012 05:15
hello dear friends
i'm student of welding engineering. i'm intrested in pulsed tig and i'm reading about that. i have a question, when current fluctuates between peak and base, what is the voltage situation? my mean is that how is the voltage fuctuations? same as current between two value? I was welded steel palte with pulsed current, Ip=130 and Ib=60 and frequency=10Hz, but our maachine didn't show voltage and I didn't have voltmeter. what is your opinion?
thanks for your attention
Parent- -By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-29-2012 09:58
With CC (constant current) power the best way I explain this is to state that arc voltage has the most direct relationship to arc length.

Many automated GTAW systems govern their Z axis distances (electrode tip to work) from adaptive arc voltage feedback systems. This is true whether the systems are pulsed or not.

So in simplest terms as long as your Z distance remains constant in a GTAW pulsed situation your voltage should remain "relatively" constant.

You should of course not take my word for this....

Get your voltmeter and make your evidence emperical.  (with proper controls on Z distance)
Parent- -By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-29-2012 13:06
What about with inverter power sources?  I am from the 1980's and I am not completely up to speed on that new technology yet.  I am not so sure they follow the classic CC "drooper" power curve.
Parent-By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-29-2012 13:46
Yes they do   :)

As far as the meta-narrative of voltage (electrical pressure) as it relates to arc length with GTAW
Parent-By hobart (*) Date 11-29-2012 16:28
your explain is very clear lawrence, I think you're right. thanks
Parent-By MMyers (**) Date 11-30-2012 21:49
Here's some empirical data from one of the welds that I've had hooked up to data acquisition systems.  I've got a weld that's mechanized pulsed GTAW, about 250 amps over 175 amps (primary and background, respectfully).  Voltage is about 10.5v for the 250 amp pulse and 9.3v for the 175 amp pulse.  Same arc length. 

Now, if you hooked this up to an arc voltage controller (AVC) that monitored voltage all the time, the torch would move with every pulse.  Lets say I set it for 10.5v.  It'd be in one location for primary pulse, then it'd move the torch to make the arc longer during background pulse (longer arc, more voltage dropped in the arc).  This is generally not desirable in mechanized GTAW, but I've seen procedures with it.  For this reason, some equipment (I use alot of AMI stuff, so I'll use them as an example) will have different options.  Sample primary (read's the primary voltage, ignores the background voltage).  Sample background (reads the background voltage, ignores the primary voltage).  And AVC Continuous which reads voltage all the time.  Sample primary and sample background allow you to just read voltage during that part of the pulse which when setup properly, more or less keeps the arc length constant from pulse to pulse (barring other odd stuff that can mess with arc length).  

The weld data above was performed with sample primary, so the arc length did not change between primary and background pulse.
UpTopic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / voltage in pulsed tig