AVS Forum banner

Buying Help, SVS PB 3000 or SVS PB 4000 pair.

8K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  joxr 
#1 ·
Ok everyone so I’m needing some suggestions and some input on replacing my subs.
I have been doing my research and have it narrowed down to rather a set of SVS PB 3000’s or a set of SVS PB 4000’s

Things I like about the 3000’s

1. smaller footprint
2. Almost 2k less for the set
3. Supposed to sound amazing

Things I like about the 4000’s

1.Gloss finish
2. Front display
3. 1400w rms v.s 800.
4 . Also supposed to be amazing
5. They have that wow look factor
6. Have a remote not just the app

System:
Room dimensions are 15ft wide 20ft deep
Fronts: Krell lat 1’s
Center : Kef 23c THX
Surrounds: Kef ci9000ace
Rear surround: Klipsch xb10
Proceasor:ioneer elite VSX LX504
Amps: OSD audio Nero XA5180 (5 ch)
Rotel RB-993 (3 ch)
Blu-ray Oppo BDP- 103
Bicycle Wheel Building Tire Television
Bicycle Wheel Building Tire Television
Window Rectangle Wood Fixture Door

Furniture Wood Comfort Shade Window blind

See less See more
Preview image for a collapsed post.
#2 ·

Why are you limited to svs? You can get much better subs for your money than svs subs. Is the room open or sealed? How loud do you listen? Movie vs music usage?

#4 ·
Get the most sub you can afford and that will fit. As far as "fitting" you are better off with less powerful subs that fit in the best location(s) than you are with more powerful subs that can't fit where they work best.

#6 ·
If you are absolutely stuck on these two options, then the PB3000 is the better all around performer, and I've always felt that the 4000 is the worst value in their lineup. Especially whenever there are much better options available for less $$. While the 4000 has the advantage from 20Hz down in extended mode, the 3000 has the advantage pretty much everywhere else. I also wouldn't get too caught up in the wattage, because that just plays one part of the whole design aspect, and not all subs require massive amounts of power to reach high SPLs.

Here are the measurement from Audioholics to compare them for yourself.
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

That said, if you're not married to SVS, then I would be looking at something from Rythmik or PSA in your budget range, and for that matter you should even look at the Hsu offerings. They all make excellent products and have top notch customer service, so you'll be well taken care of should there ever be an issue. But again, if you're sold on SVS, then my recommendation is definitely the PB3000.

Hope this helps,

TF

#9 ·
My suggestion would be to use the subs you have and experiment with other placement options. As part of that I would get a Umik and download REW.

Murphy's law says where subs look best and most symmetrical often isn't where they sound best. If you're open to other placement options and find better spot(s) that might color your choice of something new.

Out of your two options I'd go with the PB3000. You'll have more placement flexibility and save money. Subjectively they'll seem to have more punch. You get a 45 day free trial so you can upgrade within that window if you want more rumble, which would be the main benefit if you move to the PB4000.

#15 · (Edited)
So this is my take. Yes there are better-performing brands out there for the money. PSA is one of them. SVS subs are still a good product, and they have some features and perks that PSA doesn't which could be a big draw to some people and that's fine.

I encourage you to check out PSA's offerings; the performance advantage at your budget is significant and you won't lose a thing on the customer service front. What you will lose is flexibility- free returns and credit for upgrades are built into the price of the SVS, which is part of the reason you're not getting as much performance for your money with them.

As for the SVS options you're looking at, you've already laid out why you like each, you just have to decide what your priorities are. The only thing I'd raise a flag of caution about is don't think that 60% Watts RMS bump equals a 60% performance increase- it doesn't.

Monoliths are a wee bit controversial around these parts. Performance-wise they're going to beat pretty much everything at their price points, but many of us think their quality is suspect. In particular, there have been a lot of reports that the amps they're using have an unusually high rate of early failure. My advice would be don't dismiss them, but build the increased possibility of needing to deal with warranty issues into your calculus when choosing.

#18 ·
So at $4400 ( since you’re willing to spend that much apparently) for dual PB4000s, that gets you 2 13.5” drivers and 1200 watts each. And of course as others have said you get the app and the easy return program.

If you went PSA you could get dual TV1812s (18” driver, 1920 watts, vented tuned to 14hz) or dual S2112 (21” driver, 1920 watts, sealed but still such a beastly sub with that huge driver). For other brands you’re in dual Rhythmik 18” models and dual Monolith (16”??), any of which will way outperform the PB4000.

$3000 for dual PB3000s will get your dual of any 15” model from PSA/Rhythmik/Hsu.

#23 · (Edited)
The SVS 4000 series is probably SVS's least cost-effective series.

There are a lot of great subs out there. The one thing going for SVS despite it not being the best output/dollar competitor is the very liberal trade-up program that SVS has if you ever decide you want to go bigger. If you ever think you will be going bigger, that's not a bad thing to have available to you.

The PB-3000 pair is wholly adequate. As for the other options, my #1 criteria in picking subs is that I can move it myself. So I'd rather buy two 80-90 pounds subs than one 130 pound subwoofer.

#29 ·
You could be the first to report an issue with the new mono feeling lucky? Order away!

#27 ·
As I have had similar subs (SVS PB16's) I am posting my experience and eventual switch to PSA subs. It sounds like if you are willing, there are plenty of great options out there. For your price range/listening habits/room, something like dual TV18's or something along those ranges would be amazing!

#28 ·
You won't find any threads on AVS about going from Rythmik or PSA to SVS or Monolith, but there are plenty about going from SVS to PSA or Rythmik and the sound quality and output found in doing so or about paying to ship entire subs back to Monolith due to dead amps. That's all you really need to know...

#30 ·
Honestly, I would just get the HSU VTF-15H Mk2 set and call it a day. Due to your rear surrounds (Klipsch xb10) having a pretty minimal bass response, you'll probably have to cross those over at 125Hz, maybe you can get away with 100 Hz if the spec sheet is to be believed.

A lot of those bigger driver subs really start to lose linearity above 100 Hz, so you'd probably be better off sticking to the 15" driver size to better handle the higher crossover. The PB3000 Pro combo or HSU VTF-15H Mk2 combo will both be great in that space. You'll save about $1000 going with HSU. That being said, I personally have had issues with driver rattling that started on a VTF-2 as well as an amp that failed and had to be replaced (less than 10 years). So if SVS is indeed higher build quality you may be able to get that money back long term.

#32 ·
My vote would go for dual PC 4000s which are the same as the PB 4000s except a smaller foot print

#33 ·
So, I’ve come to the conclusion that while SVS are great subs and have some cool features (the app) they are definitely a price premium that doesn’t necessarily reflect the performance. Paying $500-$1000 more for something that’s not glaringly $1000 better I can’t justify.
I’ve been looking heavily at the Monolith 13 THX.
Things I like:
Massive power
Heavy construction 150+Lbs ( I’m a firm believer that the mass of a cabinet construction can really affect the sound)
Nice looking
Great price
Huge driver
Seems really well made

Cons:
History of a bad amp or two, but seems the rumors are a bit exaggerated.

really couldn’t come with others?

Thoughts 🤔

#34 ·
I went with the SVS SB-16 because they are easily had in Canada. If I were to have spent months researching and was prepared to wait just as long for delivery I may have bought something else. Having the ability to adjust the sub remotely seems like a nice touch in a multi-purpose room because it puts out way more than I would want when just watching TV. This product has been on the market for 5+ years now so hopefully it's been sorted out. Yes, it comes from China which their marketer dude never mentions while appearing in all of their videos.
You can opt out of the whole trade-up dilemma by buying their most powerful sealed or unsealed option. Who knows how long they will keep making them should you need a matching unit.

#35 ·
I agree-in Canada SVS makes the most sense. Shopping across the border is neither cheap nor convenient

#36 ·
I'm in Canada myself and bought my Monolith 15's from the USA. Had them shipped to the border and brought up to my house for about $200 cdn each including taxes and duties.

If you're considering Monoprice Monolith products in Canada, keep an eye on Amazon.ca as deals can be had. Got my amp for a great deal and the Monolith 13. Also grabbed a THX-365C center channel for cheaper than USA pricing.

#38 ·
You have multiple replies showing that SVS and Monolith are not up to par, people going from SVS to PSA, PSA and Rythmik offering superior products yet you still want to go that way? Enjoy, we look forward to your threads complaining about amp issues or **** output. They'll add nicely to all the others.

#40 ·
I have been very happy with my SVS...

#44 ·
At your budget PSA hands down

FYI power is absolutely meaninglessness without knowing driver efficiency, cab design/volume/tune etc.

Example: the Rythmik FV15HP outperforms the pb4000 with half the power/wattage.

Reactions: MsrWorkshop
#45 ·
I'm not understanding this. If you can afford both, then why wouldn't you get the 4000's. You can always 'turn down' subs, but you can't turn them up.

Reactions: MsrWorkshop
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.

Write your reply...