This Topic

The only way out of the planned obsolescence hellhole.

TLDR: We need to build our own stuff.

The right-to-repair movement is taking a wrong approach. That approach is begging to lawmakers who couldn't care less. Hoping and begging is a futile strategy. We can't rely on bureaucrats to give a damn.

And brands keep spouting that "we listen to our users" crap. Oh, really? Where are the replaceable batteries we have been asking for since 2015, Samsung? Exactly. In limbo.

Samsung be like: "Ha, ha, you keep buying our stuff anyway! Why would we give a damn?"

The reality is that there is no incentive for phone manufacturers to make repair-friendly products. Why would they? Samsung realized Apple got away with pulling this off, so they thought "let's throw our principles over board and do it too! For those sugar-sweet profits!". Remember, shareholders buy shares to get profits, not to give you an amazing user experience.(more details in reference [1] at the bottom)

Making products hostile to repair increases their profits and us users keep buying their stuff regardless because smartphones are a necessity in this world. With new technology come higher social requirements. Smartphones used to be an optional extra, but now it is difficult to live without one, so smartphone vendors have the ultimate leverage.

The most realistic way to get our user-friendly products without planned obsolescence and other evil anti-features (examples at the bottom [2]) is to manufacture them ourselves.

Granted, I have no idea how we are supposed to achieve this, but if a few hundred of us and intelligent people like Louis Rossmann and Jody Bruchon came together, perhaps we could do something. It is by any means far more realistic than praying to lawmakers could ever be.

Making our own stuff has already worked to some extent on the software side. Sure, Kdenlive and InkScape are less sophisticated than Adobe's counterparts, but still quite useable! And you truly own your copy of them. No one can remotely disable your InkScape, where as Adobe can revoke your access to their software whenever they feel like.

It took the EU almost two decades (20 years) to respond to non-replaceable batteries. During that time, non-replaceable batteries escalated to serialized batteries, like a cancer that grew. And then not only smartphones but also laptops had them. This is what happens whenever evilness is not nipped in the bud in early stages: it grows and then takes over.

If I could have changed the law, I would have nipped non-replaceable batteries in the bud before the sunrise of January 10th, 2007. I would have said "no more" to this utter nonsense. Why did it take the EU this long to make such an obvious decision?

This shows that relying on greedy corporations who throw repairability under the bus to earn 1% more, or lawmakers who are compromised by lobbyism to create us paradise on earth, is a ravenous waste of time.

If we want our paradise, we have to build it by ourselves.

References:

[1] On the keynote of the Samsung Galaxy S6 in March 2015, their public relations guy Justin Denison said "we refused to do this for some time until we were absolutely sure that people would be confident about charging their phones", which is utter nonsense because a battery with a limited lifespan that can't be replaced does quite the opposite of making the user confident about charging. Remember, batteries die no matter how well they are cared for.

[2] Examples for anti-features include planned obsolescence (notably non-replaceable batteries), kill-switches (your product can be remotely disabled), serialization (denial of third-party repairs), less than three USB ports on laptops (dependence on USB hubs), locked bootloaders (you can not run the operating system (OS) of your choice), software-as-a-service (can be remotely disabled), login enforcement (see iOS, Mac OS, Windows 11), mandatory pull-to-refresh (see Chrome mobile and Safari mobile, causes accidental refreshes), mandatory updates (vendor can remotely modify your operating system at will, see Windows 10 and 11).

This post is released under Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution ShareAlike.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Okay, so what are you going to do? 

I will have to figure it out. Won't be easy, certainly. 😉

But anything is better than begging and hoping lawmakers will listen.

7 hours ago, Ertio said:

TLDR: We need to build our own stuff.

The right-to-repair movement is taking a wrong approach. That approach is begging to lawmakers who couldn't care less. Hoping and begging is a futile strategy. We can't rely on bureaucrats to give a damn.

And brands keep spouting that "we listen to our users" crap. Oh, really? Where are the replaceable batteries we have been asking for since 2015, Samsung? Exactly. In limbo.

Samsung be like: "Ha, ha, you keep buying our stuff anyway! Why would we give a damn?"

The reality is that there is no incentive for phone manufacturers to make repair-friendly products. Why would they? Samsung realized Apple got away with pulling this off, so they thought "let's throw our principles over board and do it too! For those sugar-sweet profits!". Remember, shareholders buy shares to get profits, not to give you an amazing user experience.(more details in reference [1] at the bottom)

Making products hostile to repair increases their profits and us users keep buying their stuff regardless because smartphones are a necessity in this world. With new technology come higher social requirements. Smartphones used to be an optional extra, but now it is difficult to live without one, so smartphone vendors have the ultimate leverage.

The most realistic way to get our user-friendly products without planned obsolescence and other evil anti-features (examples at the bottom [2]) is to manufacture them ourselves.

Granted, I have no idea how we are supposed to achieve this, but if a few hundred of us and intelligent people like Louis Rossmann and Jody Bruchon came together, perhaps we could do something. It is by any means far more realistic than praying to lawmakers could ever be.

Making our own stuff has already worked to some extent on the software side. Sure, Kdenlive and InkScape are less sophisticated than Adobe's counterparts, but still quite useable! And you truly own your copy of them. No one can remotely disable your InkScape, where as Adobe can revoke your access to their software whenever they feel like.

It took the EU almost two decades (20 years) to respond to non-replaceable batteries. During that time, non-replaceable batteries escalated to serialized batteries, like a cancer that grew. And then not only smartphones but also laptops had them. This is what happens whenever evilness is not nipped in the bud in early stages: it grows and then takes over.

If I could have changed the law, I would have nipped non-replaceable batteries in the bud before the sunrise of January 10th, 2007. I would have said "no more" to this utter nonsense. Why did it take the EU this long to make such an obvious decision?

This shows that relying on greedy corporations who throw repairability under the bus to earn 1% more, or lawmakers who are compromised by lobbyism to create us paradise on earth, is a ravenous waste of time.

If we want our paradise, we have to build it by ourselves.

References:

[1] On the keynote of the Samsung Galaxy S6 in March 2015, their public relations guy Justin Denison said "we refused to do this for some time until we were absolutely sure that people would be confident about charging their phones", which is utter nonsense because a battery with a limited lifespan that can't be replaced does quite the opposite of making the user confident about charging. Remember, batteries die no matter how well they are cared for.

[2] Examples for anti-features include planned obsolescence (notably non-replaceable batteries), kill-switches (your product can be remotely disabled), serialization (denial of third-party repairs), less than three USB ports on laptops (dependence on USB hubs), locked bootloaders (you can not run the operating system (OS) of your choice), software-as-a-service (can be remotely disabled), login enforcement (see iOS, Mac OS, Windows 11), mandatory pull-to-refresh (see Chrome mobile and Safari mobile, causes accidental refreshes), mandatory updates (vendor can remotely modify your operating system at will, see Windows 10 and 11).

This post is released under Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution ShareAlike.

Expand  

What in god's name does this mean?

"This post is released under Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution ShareAlike."

Also, we get it.  There have been a ton of these, saying the same thing.  Provide at least a possibility of a solution, as repeating it over and over is impotent.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / ASRock Taichi 7900xtx OC / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 64GB (4x16GB) / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

DIL: Ryzen 7800X3D - Gigabyte B650 Gaming X V2 - ASRock Steel Legend 7900GRE - G. Skill Flare X5 CL6000CL32 32GB - TeamGroup MP44L 2TB - Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000w -NZXT H5 Elite

Emma: i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

7 hours ago, Ertio said:

I will have to figure it out. Won't be easy, certainly. 😉

But anything is better than begging and hoping lawmakers will listen.

So you think you using InkScape is going to convince lawmakers to finally clamp down on Adobe? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
    Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
    iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
    Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
    Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
    Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Vague, peppered with half-finished thoughts. Token novelty license message at the end.

Self-manufactured products on tiny or even individual scales are orders of magnitude less efficient for materials and energy.

Strong, effective regulation with teeth is the way forward to ensure simple reusability/recyclability and repairability.

May I introduce a "Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity."?

You attribute certain design decisions to conscious choices, while in reality it's just lemmings trying to cost-down a product to increase the profit margin because some manager is shouting to hit some ludicrous target to get their bonus. This is then inherited into the next design (because designing from scratch is rare), and it gets dragged along. Then you see your competitor is doing this, you make the cost calculation and realise you can increase your profit margin by doing so as well, and that's how shitty features from the competitor also end up in your product.

The solution is honestly to vote with your wallet whenever possible, because every company tries to imitate the perceived market leader.

Based as hell but we can't manufacture our own phones like the children in China who make Nike shoes. Maybe try petitioning for Framework to get on board with making smartphones besides laptops?

I've had the same old flip phone for almost 5 years and counting and it has a replaceable battery. I can live perfectly without a smartphone; I don't do any mobile gaming, I mostly use the internet on laptops and desktop computer 95% of the time, use mobile data instead of Wi-Fi for security purposes, and the battery lasts for days on a single charge because I'm not addicted to the damn thing.

Buy a decent product that can last enough, take care of it and don't support unnecessary consumerism buying stuff all the time or random crap. 

The planned obsolescence started before gadgets, with house stuff like fridges, washing machines, stove etc.. New stuff dies or has issues every few years. Meanwhile if you know someone older with quality made products like these, they easily last 50y and look as new.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Vaxee XE wired | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Buy only products you can repair, and if nothing fits your criteria, pick products that are the easiest to disassemble and repair yourself.

Alternative solution. Stop buying junk. You do not need a $2000 smartphone or a $5000 laptop. Buy a desktop. Do everything on the desktop, and minimize what you "have to" do on the phone.

I am still using the iPhone Xs. My mom was gifted an iPhone 12 by a family member, and she's still using her 10 year old $50 amazon phone as her daily driver. She's also driving a 10 year old car. Heck my Grandma only has an iphone for the exact same reason my mom does. A relative gifted to her, and she doesn't make calls on it, she only talks to family on it (basically my mom and her siblings, and grandma all have iphones only to talk to each other on facetime.)

If you want to go in the other direction and do everything on your phone, that comes with the caveat that you are married to that ecosystem forever.

7 hours ago, Dedayog said:

What in god's name does this mean?

"This post is released under Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution ShareAlike."

It means I give you the permission to repost the text anywhere, but please link back to this thread. (more details)

7 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Also, we get it. There have been a ton of these, saying the same thing.

Unfortunately not. You get it, but many people unfortunately don't. Many people wait and hope for a miracle.

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

So you think you using InkScape is going to convince lawmakers to finally clamp down on Adobe? 

No, but InkScape already makes users less dependent on greedy Adobe. InkScape can get many tasks done that would usually require Adobe's expensive proprietary software.

Yes, I know, InkScape can't do everything that Adobe Illustrator does, but it does a good share of those things.

5 hours ago, whispous said:

Strong, effective regulation with teeth is the way forward to ensure simple reusability/recyclability and repairability.

Indeed, ideally it would be. However, lawmakers have no incentive to listen to us, or are very slow. What do they gain from listening to us? They gain more from listening to lobbyists who will then fill their pockets with sweet sweet cash.

It took the EU 20 years to react in the slightest to non-replaceable batteries. Will it take 20 more years to react to serialization? At that speed, it simply takes too long to get done.

2 hours ago, MC.Morrado said:

Based as hell but we can't manufacture our own phones like the children in China who make Nike shoes. Maybe try petitioning for Framework to get on board with making smartphones besides laptops?

I've had the same old flip phone for almost 5 years and counting and it has a replaceable battery. I can live perfectly without a smartphone; I don't do any mobile gaming, I mostly use the internet on laptops and desktop computer 95% of the time, use mobile data instead of Wi-Fi for security purposes, and the battery lasts for days on a single charge because I'm not addicted to the damn thing.

Expand  

The hardware design is relatively straight-forward actually if you're willing to be slightly thicker than the flagships, it's the software eco-system and the legal aspects that make these things tricky to release on larger markets. 

They probably have already thought about this at some point. If they wanted to do it, they would have already done it.

There is also the FairPhone, but it appears it is hardly known and very niche. How does one even advertise such a thing? The masses just care about the next shiny new thing (shiny object syndrome) to show off infront of their friends. They don't care about "will it work in 5 or 10 years?" and only see today and tomorrow.

I am assuming you use dedicated cameras and camcorders for photography and videography.

While they have some benefits that smartphones don't have (tripod mounts, strong optical zoom, buttons and knobs for control, hot-swappable memory cards and batteries, flat bottoms for placement on many surfaces, instant booting), no dedicated compact cameras and camcorders with video recording capabilities beyond 2160p at 30fps have been made, with the exception of the Panasonic HC-X1000 with 2160p 60fps. And it was released in 2014. Since then, not much progress has been made in the dedicated camera world. Sony even discontinued their RX100 series of high-end compact cameras in 2019.

We arrived at a point where smartphones are the cheapest 4K camcorders. A smart "phone" is more of a camera than a mobile phone. Smart "phones" are digital cameras with mobile phones attached, not vice versa. While cameras on mobile phones used to be an optional extra, they are now a major selling point.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Buy only products you can repair, and if nothing fits your criteria, pick products that are the easiest to disassemble and repair yourself.

Unfortunately, the options are running dry.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Alternative solution. Stop buying junk. You do not need a $2000 smartphone or a $5000 laptop.

Indeed. At this point, entry-level phones do many everyday tasks just fine, such as emailing and web browsing and video calling, and even have solid battery performance and cameras and fast charging, where as entry-level phones from 2012 were a pain to use - remember the Galaxy Pocket or Galaxy Ace?

Anyway, even flagship-level smartphones have the usual disabilities like lack of export functionality for web browser tabs and sessions (data lock-in) if not rooted. Imagine paying $2000 for a smartphone but not being able to do basic things like exporting browsing data.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Do everything on the desktop, and minimize what you "have to" do on the phone.

You can not put a desktop computer in a suitcase and travel with it.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

She's also driving a 10 year old car.

Good point. People expect cars to last well over a decade, yet somehow the same is not true for mobile phones.

Why shouldn't one be able to use a Galaxy S3 from 2012 (with updated software of course) today? After all, it is not worse than it was - it's just that our expectations have increased.

In other words, 1 GB RAM in 2024 is not the same as 1 GB RAM in 2012.