8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: Retain stock USB input capability with aftermarket radios, PnP solution

15K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  PiterB 
#1 ·
Okay, so after browsing the net alot and looking through various install threads I have not seen anyone trying to retain the usb port within their armrest. As someone who is a stickler about factory functionality retention this was simply something I could not overlook in my install. After browsing the internet for quite a while I came up with a very simple solution.

You will need the following 2 items in order to make this work.

Honda P/N 3911-TF0-003 (USB Cable adapter)

Any male to male USB cable, 3-6 feet. 3 will just make it and that's what I ended up going with.

First start by removing your center console. I did not take pictures of the removal but it is easily done. A member here already did a nice DIY on this portion, so refer to this thread for that part: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/i-c-...25257-diy-console-removal-wolfsong-style.html

Okay, so now on to the meat of things. With the center console removed, flip it upside-down, and look under the armrest portion. You will see 2 ports with connectors plugged into them. The black one is your 12v outlet, the gray one is the USB that we're concerned with. Unplug that connector and this is what you will have.

And here is a closeup of the socket for that connector.

That's where this cable (P/N 3911-TF0-003) comes into play. It plugs into that socket and converts it to your standard female USB output.

Plug that into the socket and then connect one end of your male to male USB cable to it. I didn't want to yank out the old wire and instead chose to just keep it zip-tied off to the side in-case I ever want to revert the car back to the stock stereo for whatever reason. I ran the new USB cable along with the other wiring and just zip tied it every few inches.

Once you've accomplished this all that's left to do is to reinstall the console into your car and snake the other end of the USB cable up into your dash (very easy) and voila, you now have a fully functional USB port with a standard male usb connector to plug into the back of your aftermarket stereo. Enjoy.

See less See more
1 5
#8 ·
Hello,
I'm trying to keep the USB port in the arm rest console, and found this thread, but the pictures are gone. Would you mind re-posting them so I can see where the harness is, how to connect and basically what's the USB retention cable I need to buy (amazon says it's not currently in stock, so basically trying to find a replacement somewhere). Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.

Write your reply...