Prince vs Michael Jackson vs George Michael vs Madonna

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Without doubt the biggest 4 pop stars of the 80s

What I want to compare are the artist’s breakthrough albums in terms of commercial and critical success and blockbuster albums.

So in other words it is:
Off The Wall VS Dirty Mind VS Faith VS Like A Virgin as the nominees for breakthrough albums
And for Blockbuster albums:
Thriller VS Purple Rain VS Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1 VS Like A Prayer

Who wins objectively?

For me the first category is won by Prince with Dirty Mind closely followed by Off The Wall. Faith and Like A Virgin I both don’t rate highly follow from distance.
The second category is won by Thriller (well duh) followed by Listen Without Prejudice Vol 1 with Purple Rain hot on its tail and Like A Virgin (which is a good album in its own right) closing out

Apparently you mean 'Like A Prayer' here in the second category (rather than 'Like A Virgin' which is already in the first category).

@filmandmusic Madonna's True Blue is the blockbuster album, I think. It sold at least 25,000,000 units worldwide.

@filmandmusic Madonna's True Blue is the blockbuster album, I think. It sold at least 25,000,000 units worldwide.
It was a hard decision but I went with LAP because it both sold well and got critical acclaim. It signaled growth as an artist for Madonna

Back