Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redox OS With COSMIC Apps Is Looking Quite Nice

Phoronix: Redox OS With COSMIC Apps Is Looking Quite Nice

Jeremy Soller who is an engineer at System76 and manages a side hustle of leading development on the open-source, Rust-written Redox OS has shared the latest look at this open-source operating system with the System76 COSMIC desktop applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

• Software and hardware feel like black magic to me. Super cool to see people create entire operating systems in their free time.

Comment

• Cool project!

Comment

• No idea how functional the OS and stack is as a whole but that cosmic desktop seems like a reasonably clean stacking wm/de without looking outdated at least.

My only suggestion would be to have an optional mode that stacks tabs on the windows decorations while enabling dragging windows by holding the start menu as it opens up the way to touchscreens (two finger drags) and tiling (Start+arrows to i3-like window management).

Microsoft paid very dearly for not designing for this early on.

Comment

• Looks nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            No idea how functional the OS and stack is as a whole but that cosmic desktop seems like a reasonably clean stacking wm/de without looking outdated at least.
            You can run it in a virtual machine very easily. As far as functionality, it's really just a demo to show off some of the elements of the UI. There's hardly even any utilities. Last I checked a few weeks ago most things like typical bash utilities were completely absent. There's a couple of simple games, but there's nothing like a working web browser that you could use to do much of anything. It may have ssh, I didn't check that. You might be able to transfer some files into the vm via sftp to try out some audio or video or do something similar. I might have to try that.

Comment

• eww, it's all gtk and shit (or well, at least looks like gtk, but this is a pretty cool project, these from scratch os projects never last though, except templeos, templeos is forever.)

Comment

• Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                eww, it's all gtk and shit (or well, at least looks like gtk, but this is a pretty cool project, these from scratch os projects never last though, except templeos, templeos is forever.)
                Its not GTK. its Iced. A from-scratch toolkit.

Comment

• Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  eww, it's all gtk and shit (or well, at least looks like gtk, but this is a pretty cool project, these from scratch os projects never last though, except templeos, templeos is forever.)
                  As mentioned already, the Cosmic Desktop uses the Iced (iced) toolkit written in Rust, and from what I think I read also a desktop abstraction layer sort of akin (on some levels) to what libadwaita does for Gnome on top of the GTK stuff.

I have been using Cosmic Desktop for a while and do like it. It needs some polish and stuff is missing, but is advertised as pre-alpha at this point, so not to be unexpected. I don't mind Gnome too much, and have been installing it via Fedora Workstation lately to get all that Fedora Workstation provides. But I'm also installing Cosmic right afterwards via the well maintained Copr out there.

Regarding Redox OS, I ran once via KVM or QEMU. Will try again at some point with the Cosmic Desktop included. Interesting to see where this will go.

Comment

• Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                    No idea how functional the OS and stack is as a whole but that cosmic desktop seems like a reasonably clean stacking wm/de without looking outdated at least.

My only suggestion would be to have an optional mode that stacks tabs on the windows decorations while enabling dragging windows by holding the start menu as it opens up the way to touchscreens (two finger drags) and tiling (Start+arrows to i3-like window management).

Microsoft paid very dearly for not designing for this early on.
                    I felt this was very profound but had troble parsing it in my brain.

So if I understand correctly this is what was meant:

{{{

Reasonably clean for a Stacking Window Manager / Desktop Environment.

Suggestions:

1. Optionally Stack [ Tabs ] on the Window Decorations

2. Enable Dragging Windows by holding the Start Menu [ What is "Start Menu" -- the File Menu or App Menu on the Window Deocration ??? ]

3. This will make it possible to add touchscreen support in the future -- two finger dragging -- and tiling -- (Start + Arrows similar to i3 window management)

}}}​

Comment

Working...