Quantcast

Has anyone noticed N.B.A. players don’t come from the hood anymore? Anyone ever noticed that they all come from hood to decent areas now.

Juny.B.Jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
289,116 8,006 6,604
Alleybux
Those two things are not the same. Sports relies heavily on publicly available objective stats. Hollywood is a subjective who knows who network of nepotism, racism, cronyism, and xes.

Nobody gets a multimillion dollar contract in the NBA because they are good looking and slept with the right people. At the end of the day the players have to put up the stats and more importantly win.

I agree that pricing kids out of the market is bad but it isn't Hollywood.
Not true. Lots of good players aren’t given a chance in pro sports. It’s not as objective as you think.

Arisoblessed

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,970 6,998 3,062
Alleybux
You gotta have money these days to see little roquan “make it to the league”….all of these travel teams and amateur clubs in place now…you definitely cant be broke….there are still some who make it through the cracks, but those days are slowly vanishing….
this is facts... my sister be out the state every other month and taking flights for my ten year old nephew for his games... you have to have money lol

Brownnie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,142 610 41
Alleybux
It’s so interesting to see the transformation of this team roster in only a few years.

I skipped a year but I couldn’t find the pic.

Probably including the coaching staff on the most recent pic to add some color.
IMG_3210.jpeg
IMG_3213.jpeg

IMG_3211.jpeg

IMG_3212.jpeg

LacedLust

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,547 859 496
Alleybux
Lmaooo exactly the kids in the hood don’t want to be NBA players anymore and rather carjack while not participating in productive activities so idk why people are blaming the NBA for scouting for people that want to participate and come from a good middle class family .
Rather be like NBA young boy than in the NBA

LacedLust

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,547 859 496
Alleybux
Girl don't worry about these fonts. They'll be in one thread saying black men have high crime rates but are in this one pretending to not understand why professional athletes are not coming from the hood anymore? Make it make sense. You can't be in jail and playing football at the same time lmfao. Good luck on your paper!!
This made me laugh out loud

Kateye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,879 513 235
Alleybux

Coach John Thompson a legend.!

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,306 1,380 1,030
Alleybux
Is this really a major issue for black people generally?

Kids in poor neighborhoods can excel and be encouraged to excel in things that are not sports.

It is unfortunate that talented people are being shut out from certain industries, but natural talent hasn’t gotten most people anywhere for a long time. Talent needs to be cultivated, usually through training in a school setting.

The kids can succeed doing something else.

gama

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,363 1,736 1,101
Alleybux
A lot of them are sons of nba or other sports players too

Something sad about this.

Like entertainment industry & modeling where the kids getting opportunities are the kids of the winners.

SlayK Rowling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,407 3,539 3,297
Alleybux
Plenty of NBA players still come from the hood. However, in certain areas, black middle class people have created camps/player training institutions that are very popular rn. Poor people, despite the race, still exist and their talent level always has the propensity to be exceptional.

Liwe Liwe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
113,174 3,483 2,723
Alleybux
I'm sorry but it's not progress to see the sport dominated by middle/upper class people. Just like it's not progress to see acting, music and the arts filled with nepo babies.

All it means is that there are less and less opportunities for the poor, who are the bigger class. If it takes money to achieve something you should have a natural talent for it just ruins the whole the thing imo. I don't like how manufactured and selective our world is becoming.

Raheem Sterling's sister took her little brother to Queen's Park Ranger every day when she was 17, taking three buses and getting home at 11pm. It all depends on how badly the child and the family want it.

There are programmes which offer funding for disadvantaged children to access acting, music or art lessons. For example, parents on benefits, whose children are entitled to free school meals, can get subsidised lessons, borrow quality instruments from the music departments in local boroughs. My daughter attended a run of the mill primary school, we had to pay for her violin, piano, voice,dance, acting and music theatre lessons, buy the books (exam pieces, scales and arpeggios) and pay for the exams, few other children showed an interest, some who started with her, gradually dropped out.

By the time she was off to secondary school, she was the only one who had sat grade exams. Likewise her secondary a typical comprehensive, was predominantly ethnic minority with a decent sprinkle of white children from the middle class part of the borough. The white children took their music lessons seriously, there were two other Black children who came in playing an instrument, but they gradually stopped showing up for the ensemble rehearsals, my daughter was the only Black child who stayed on course from Yr 7 to Year 13. Getting her to practise was a nightmare, I literally had to factor in time everyday, for 10 years I was the audience of one (her father wasn't having any of it). We could barely afford to go on holidays. In a nutshell, it took a lot of sacrifice to pay for the lessons and to ensure she practised. Fact is, very few parents are willing to make the sacrifice, frankly speaking I don't know how I did it, and I don't think I'd be willing to do it again, yet you have the Kaneh Masons with 7 children playing a plethora of instruments, one family carrying the weight of Black Britain on their backs, embarrassing. It's my opinion that Black parents are simply not trying hard enough. Don't even get me started on the free shyt; STEM summer classes, Model United Nations competitions, Maths UK Challenge.

AuStandard

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,743 1,054 1,752
Alleybux
I'm sorry but it's not progress to see the sport dominated by middle/upper class people. Just like it's not progress to see acting, music and the arts filled with nepo babies.

All it means is that there are less and less opportunities for the poor, who are the bigger class. If it takes money to achieve something you should have a natural talent for it just ruins the whole the thing imo. I don't like how manufactured and selective our world is becoming.
Basketball is a skill.

You never had naturally talented kids go the NBA from the ghettos. You had kids that honed their skills playing pickup bball in their neighborhoods make it to college and then the nba.

And, it takes hours and hours of games/practice (and natural talent/height) to sniff the NBA. Most kids (and certainly not their single moms) don't know how to train consistently to get a scholarship offer.

These AAU coaches use their college and sponsorship connections to grab a 'talented' kid from the ghetto and place him on the right path to potentially make a run at the league. It's still up to the kid to out work all the other thousands of highschool prospects for 30 spots come draft night.

The money isn't a factor for any truly talented kid. They will be found and sponsored throughout the process.

Last edited:

squickgo

General Manager
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
12,595 1,489 639
Alleybux
Because the place where their talents were discovered was at high school level.and the public school system sucks these days.
There is no mental health education in school so talented kids get eaten up by the streets. School used to be a somewhat safe place with coaches who cared. Now the adults in the school system are afraid of their students. And the talented people who used to be in the schools start their own business and don’t bother with public education.
Until the public school system changes more and more potential will be eaten by the streets.
Not just athletics.

Magical Unicorn

Rihanna's Marshmallow
Reaction score
Reactions
66,953 1,835 895
Alleybux

Can you imagine if as a society we put this much effort into creating doctors and engineers?

Swiss Miss

Bishop TD Jakes Head Polish
Reaction score
Reactions
222,406 10,508 3,528
Alleybux
Most Black Americans who were born in the 90’s-present aren’t from “the hood”. That’s a good thing.

Brownnie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,142 610 41
Alleybux
Of course sports were white dominant DURING and immediately after segregation.

Jane Toussaint

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
36,072 2,294 336
Alleybux
You're right. I heard about this when I was growing up as well, and I think the practice even precedes our generation. The thing I don't get is what do these school districts win? Like, what is the payoff for having a championship team? Especially if it's a public school, but even if it's a private one. I get that it must be fun to brag about having a championship team, but I can't for the life of me believe that it's worth putting all of that kind of money into ensuring eligibility for a middle schooler or high schooler. I just don't get it. School is supposed to be for academics. Bragging about the prowess of one's athletic teams seems rather superficial.
Having these competitive teams helps the schools raise money. It’s more obvious at a collegiate level, but it has been proven that competitive sports teams = more donation dollars.

It’s literally a fundraising mechanism. It gets current parents and alumni a reason to rally around the school and give them the money they want.

The teams also up the profiles of the schools, attracting a better pool of applicants (for sports and academics) thereby making the school more competitive and their students more attractive to big name colleges and universities.

Jane Toussaint

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
36,072 2,294 336
Alleybux
Thank you so much for this. It explains a lot.

I noticed a change in play over the last 25 years but never followed basketball close enough to know what that change was.

NordieNARS

30’s the new 20, with more $$$
Reaction score
Reactions
104,454 3,509 1,498
Alleybux
It’s been that way for years now. Youth basketball, like most extracurriculars, are costly.

And many players are apart of the second generation - their fathers were in the league.

21andover

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
181,828 4,020 1,581
Alleybux

I wrote “Black American” in quotes because when we were finally allowed to integrate, we over performed.

Everyone knows that when you think of the NBA, you think of Black Americans.

Now, they want you to think foreign exceptionalism. That’s why the NBA, NFL, and already the MLB create programs to recruit non Black Americans from overseas and do not invest in creating/maintaining pipelines within the U.S.

Last edited:

treefrog04

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,510 352 181
Alleybux

mb it's a blessing in disguise, some of these stadium sports are opportunities for fame and fortune but still have a lot of health risks and increased mortality

kaycee25

Let’s ignore the energy vampires
Reaction score
Reactions
19,886 284 69
Alleybux
This is an interesting thread. I had a former coworker who would constantly travel along with her husband for her boys basketball team. Keke’s husband off of Love and Marriage Huntsville moved them to a new neighborhood to be in a better school district for the son sports career. So, it seems like you have to have a two parent home and resources just with like anything else in this country.

treefrog04

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,510 352 181
Alleybux
I wrote “Black American” in quotes because when we were finally allowed to integrate, we over performed.

Everyone knows that when you think of the NBA, you think of Black Americans.

Now, they want you to think foreign exceptionalism. That’s why the NBA, NFL, and already the MLB create programs to recruit non Black Americans from overseas and do not invest in creating/maintaining pipelines within the U.S.
i thought it was an Aztec or Mayan invention originally

treefrog04

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,510 352 181
Alleybux
It’s not about invention. It’s about it being a financial opportunity for Black Americans.

I did not say we created it.
ok i was just saying it's not a european/yt invention like most things lol. it could've been an African invention but i'd have to research it. i know ancient South Americans had a similar game, idk any further history about it tho

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
170,683 13,933 2,530
Alleybux
ok i was just saying it's not a european/yt invention like most things lol. it could've been an African invention but i'd have to research it. i know ancient South Americans had a similar game, idk any further history about it tho
Basketball was invented by James Naismith a Canadian white man.

ThothBomb

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,275 202 116
Alleybux
Probably because the kids in the hood are carjacking everyone and choosing to not participating in productive, recreational activities
Liiiiisten. As soon as I read this title, these were my exact thoughts too. I see more young black men out here committing crimes then I see them on someone's court. Even the ones who are really good and destined for greatness.
See, what a shame!! I’m getting groaned to death but it is true and weighing heavy on my mind bc I’m writing my research paper on juvenile crime and the data/statistics show these crimes are primarily being committed by young black males ( who predominately live in the hood).

I am hardly an apologist for hood people, but are you guys serious?

You guys have the cause and effect relationship here backwards.

These young men aren't being kept out of the NBA because of increasing "bad behavior", their "bad behavior" is increasing because the hope of getting out of the hood and "struggle" is being removed through the need to be in these leagues and through the removal of outdoor recreational spaces.

Yikes.

ThothBomb

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,275 202 116
Alleybux
Thank you so much for this. It explains a lot.

I noticed a change in play over the last 25 years but never followed basketball close enough to know what that change was.
This!

@JordanAirPac - I want to piggyback on Jane Toussaint's post and thank you for that breakdown in Post #27 too.

Like Jane Toussaint I noticed something different, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it for the same reason. One of the more subtle changes has been that people don't seem to be as excited or enthusiastic about the NBA as in years past. This is probably why I have no idea who the notable players are today, when even in the past where I still wasn't paying attention, I knew the names of the top players.

Which brings me to ...

Which explains the decline in music, sports etc these people don’t have natural talent and it’s not as interesting to watch
Certain fonts are downplaying what you've said here, but I think you're onto something.

A lot of older entertainers seem to be experiencing a resurgence in interest for their "products". My Gen X brother, tells me that Big Daddy Kane, I think KRS-1, and Capleton (dancehall musician) are putting out some sort of project. No doubt for the first two this has something to do with Versus, but who would've thought that 25+ years after their "prime" that they could do this. You still have certain older actors being able to carry movies. Like her or hate her JLo is still able to sell lingerie.

It seems the process of making access to the entertainment industry more upper class removes some of the general and personal interest from the entertainers and the overall decline.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
170,683 13,933 2,530
Alleybux
Yeah the industry thinks they make the stars that's true to a point but it's actual talent and charisma that retains an audience which is what the public decides.

Roy89

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,819 8,299 20,184
Alleybux
You are suggesting “hood” guys can’t shoot?

I watch college and pro basketball and most of the players are black, jacking up three pointers on nearly every possession. Basically basketball has become a three point shooting contest.

US shifted to the European style in 2005 in no small measure because of what happened in the 2004 Summer Olympics, where the US only won the Bronze medal and clearly had trouble defending the on ball screening play of the Europeans.

Last edited:

JordanAirPac

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,088 1,335 2,105
Alleybux
You are suggesting “hood” guys can’t shoot?

I watch college and pro basketball and most of the players are black, jacking up three pointers on nearly every possession. Basically basketball has become a three point shooting contest.

US shifted to the European style in 2005 in no small measure because of what happened in the 2004 Summer Olympics, where the US only won the Bronze medal and clearly had trouble defending the on ball screening play of the Europeans.
I never suggested hood guys can't shoot. What I did say was that in the past, there was a higher level baseline of demanded athleticism in order to get shots off against a D, but with today's freedom of movement refereeing, the league manipulated the sport into lowering the bar on what it takes to be a shot creator or offensive engine to now, if you're the designated QB essentially, you QB tagged and reffed like a star and completely protected. And when the game becomes more and more subjective in that way, white supremacy can creep in and protect less athletic players in some insane ways due to this new euro style of play.

In fact I've always said, Gilbert Arenas actually was ridiculed in his prime for his style of play as they labeled it low IQ and wonky when he was taking and making halfcourt jumpers like Curry, but when a lightskin gets drafted with this play style, it gets allowed because they feel that it's intelligent enough now. So now we're at the point where year by year they continue to literally add sh!t to the rulebook like the "freedom of movement" clause a few years ago where they continue to soften up the game in order to give themselves a better chance to manufacture stars (Luka Doncic) as they choose since the game is super subjective now.

Have the super talented super skilled super athletic past dark skins and let's be real, hood black folk build the respectability and credibility of the game with genuine talent and the necessary toughened upbringing build, and then shift in hand picked faces as they choose as they make the game easier and less physical. Who benefits the most by making an athletic game less physical and athletic based?

Ashley1990

Get Some Self-Esteem B4 Quoting Me..
Reaction score
Reactions
143,797 7,741 9,813
Alleybux
You do realize segregation was a thing?
Blacks had their teams and league’s.
That doesn't change the fact that the NBA was mostly white decades ago, or that basketball isn't a BA sport. This thread isn't about other leagues.

BlkMan

General Manager
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
16,396 3,862 5,441
Alleybux

Someone uploaded a whole Business Administration PhD thesis to LSA.

oh.gif

Gave the whole game away for free.

Velveteen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,266 2,040 2,578
Alleybux
makes sense they’re all spawns of rich retired NBA players procreating with yt women. the NBA will be fully biracial soon… it’s already happening.

Most of the “spawns” of rich retired NBA players procreated with black women. I don’t get this need to push the narrative that the league is filled with biracial offspring of former players.

Cole Anthony - black
Bol Bol - black
Devin Booker - biracial
Jalen Brunson - black
Nic Claxton - black
Amir Coffey - black
Jae Crowder - black
Stephen Curry - black
Seth Curry - black
Johnny Davis - biracial
Darius Garland - black
Jerami Grant - black