The DS Eurovision Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• cyrilsneercyrilsneer Posts: 925
    Forum Member

The songs are allowed to be released before the compeition - the acts are supposed to go all over Europe promoting them. The BBC did with Jade, but i dont think they did this year.

The BBC dont take it seriously, its just a nights programming they get free as part of a package deal to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Established musicians won't compete at Eurovision because they can only lose. Think about the UK sending Cheryl. Everybody would expect her to win and many countries wouldn't want her to win because they consider it "unfair" to send a "superstar", so she simply could not win because everybody will back the underdogs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Has it occured to anyone quite why Germany won tonight?

Who's responsible, and who will continue to be responsible for bailing out Europe when its member states and the Euro finally go the way of Greece? Yup, you've guessed it. The Germans!

Nothing like greasing a few palms and keeping the Hun population happy when your economy's about to go tits up, and you're going to need to be bailed out by the German taxpayers.

That is the most pathetic reaction to this years eurovision result I've heard so far tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    MasterSW wrote: »
    Germany won! :D Lena wasn't my favourite, but the majority in Europe has spoken. After all the bad performances in the last year we're glad that the UK has now given up on creativity.
    The singer may be good, but the song was undoubtely horrible.

A much deserved win, imo. :)

I think most of us here would hold our hands up and say our entry was dire, 10 points was generous!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,405
    Forum Member
    The obvious answer would be to let the man with the midas touch, Simon Cowell run it from now on.

I don't know why Simon Cowell would do it, since he would be handing control of his artist over to voters/juries that select their neighbours! SC would want to hype his act up using his latest TV programme.
  • itsashruberyitsashrubery Posts: 8,144
    Forum Member
    Has it occured to anyone quite why Germany won tonight?

Who's responsible, and who will continue to be responsible for bailing out Europe when its member states and the Euro finally go the way of Greece? Yup, you've guessed it. The Germans!

Nothing like greasing a few palms and keeping the Hun population happy when your economy's about to go tits up, and you're going to need to be bailed out by the German taxpayers.
    You have a point ;)
    What other song got the airplay and the early relase commercially that the german song did? Unfair advantage and the reason bookies had it a fave to win, based on performance tonight though she didnt deserve top 20 with that tripe
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I think the UK should internally select their artist (Morrisey, Katie Melua etc) and then have that artist sing a selection of six songs and the song voted for.

I agree, apart from the six songs bit. I would just let the artist submit 2 songs, they sing both of them on The One Show or Upload them to the internet .. get the public to vote and whoever wins - send them to Eurovision. The selection shows are never that popular in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    How the hell did Germany win that ???
    It was one of the worst songs of the night, she couldnt sing she looked full of drugs it was awful.
    As for our song tonight if we cant do better pull out becasue we are embarrased every year

Its a joke that Germany won though

Agreed - Germany terrible song, terrible singer.:confused::confused:

Uk - even more terrible song. :confused:

Otherwise some excellent entries - glad to see Tom Dice doing well. :D
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 43,483
    Forum Member
    Semi results- sorry if they have been posted.

First Semi-Final (27 May)
    01. Belgium (167 points)
    02. Greece (133)
    03. Iceland (123)
    04. Portugal (89)
    05. Serbia (79)
    06. Albania (76)
    07. Russia (74)
    08. Bosnia & Herzegovina (59)
    09. Belarus (59)
    10. Moldova (52)
    11. Finland (49)
    12. Malta (45)
    13. Poland (44)
    14. Estonia (39)
    15. FYR Macedonia (37)
    16. Slovakia (24)
    17. Latvia (11)

Second Semi-Final (25 May)

01. Turkey (118 points)
    02. Azerbaijan (113)
    03. Georgia (106)
    04. Romania (104)
    05. Denmark (101)
    06. Armenia (83)
    07. Ukraine (77)
    08. Israel (71)
    09. Ireland (67)
    10. Cyprus (67)
    11. Sweden (62)
    12. Lithuania (44)
    13. Croatia (33)
    14. The Netherlands (29)
    15. Bulgaria (19)
    16. Slovenia (6)
    17. Switzerland (2)

Belgium- From zero to hero!

And poor Sweden, my faves missed qualification by 5 points :(
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 17,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    I know Germany were happy about winning, but really, there's no need for gestures like this! :O

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5897/107933829.jpg

hahaha that so funny
  • plymgaryplymgary Guest Posts: 4,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people really need to get over it. Germany won. They had the most appealing song within Europe. If it was all political an Eastern European country would have won. The end.
  • Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did Iceland place in the end? I'm so disappointed for Ireland & Azerbaijan.

Anyone agree that was the best contest ever though?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

It's not unfair because there is nothing stopping the UK from entering a good song and making it a hit. It's not as if there are no UK groups having hit songs in Europe.
  • itsashruberyitsashrubery Posts: 8,144
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »
    A much deserved win, imo. :)

I think most of us here would hold our hands up and say our entry was dire, 10 points was generous!
    Ohh yes I will freely raise my hand up and say our entry was dreadful, but also how bad was the german song? Simply awful
  • hickenhicken Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    armorium wrote: »
    I don't know why Simon Cowell would do it, since he would be handing control of his artist over to voters/juries that select their neighbours! SC would want to hype his act up using his latest TV programme.

It's pretty heartbreaking that Simon Cowell's name should even be suggested as the person to send over a quality song. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Ha! Fairytale is back in the iTunes top 100 :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloudyE wrote: »

Lovely song and it in fact has been ahead of the German song on iTunes Ireland all week :)

There is no rule that says that songs can't be released commercially before Eurovision btw....as soon as they are picked in February or March,they can be immediately released as singles.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Why can't we send a decent song.

Something like one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_5a5FBszNw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oan_WhqoD10

What about going serious and sending something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO__nXPoyr8

Hell, even this would be far better than what we've been sending..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stPZRjzJnXE

Edit: I'm not a Charlotte Church fan, but imagine if we sent this song, with this performance and costume!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_c4tDyGH4

Personally I believe that if we sent Ringo Starr we'd do better than with these unknowns, if only because he's known. And there's a lot of Beatles love in Eastern Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MnC7zO8tk0
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I know Germany were happy about winning, but really, there's no need for gestures like this! :O

Well I hope that picture was taken out of context - the guy may have just been saying hi!
  • ShadyNathanShadyNathan Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9ct mould wrote: »
    YES YES YES!!! I was even growling along with her!!!

Oh, and Nathan, I have a feeling the regulars may be a tad harsh to you in the next 24 hours citing a certain something you may have said about our songwriter this year. I won't say it out of pure niceness to a fellow forum member... but 10 points versus 246....

Maybe Julie Frost knows what Europe wants...:o

:confused::confused::confused: No idea what you're talking about I'm afraid!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member

Oh dear! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    People saying that the UK needs to send an established artist - wasn't Lena found though a similar process to the UK selections?.

Yep, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. The networks asked all round entertainer Stefan Raab (also creator of the game show Beat the Star) to find to the 2010 star.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest_2010
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 43,483
    Forum Member
    Only_You wrote: »
    I agree, apart from the six songs bit. I would just let the artist submit 2 songs, they sing both of them on The One Show or Upload them to the internet .. get the public to vote and whoever wins - send them to Eurovision. The selection shows are never that popular in the UK.

Thats a great idea.

Have a Eurovision One Show Special on a Friday (hour long), have the singer on the show talking about it and then they perform two or three songs.

Could work very well indeed.

The BBC should hang their heads in shame the spectacle we made of ourselves this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    armorium wrote: »

I was only kidding really, Cowell wouldn't touch it.
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please say that doesn't mean I have to like it. :o:D

This win could be the best thing which has happened to the contest, the countries which don't take it seriously hopefully will up their game.

What about Switzerland's result, will they continue?

I'm in shock at the Swiss placing......to be beaten by Slovenia:cry: I do hope they don't give up on the contest, but they surely must be near the end of their tether.

And, no you don't have to like Lena's song, but get used to hearing it, as I have a feeling it's going to be big.;)
This discussion has been closed.