• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

The most "State of the Art" game ever released

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Let me explain what i mean with this title cause i couldn't phrase it better

By state of the art, i mean a game that was technically above anything else that was available at the time. So from those games, which one do you think had the biggest gap between it and the next best game? For instance:

Space Harrier (1985) (Arcade)

This was released in arcades in 1985. Just have a look at whatever was released at the time in either home or arcades. This was like science fiction by comparison.

Scud Race (1996) (Arcade)

Look at this game. Look at it. Now imagine playing it in 1996. The Model 3 was the most powerful thing in it's time and IMO there was no better demo than this early Model 3 game. In 1996 the N64 was just released (and about 10 times less powerful than a Model 3) while the PS1/Sat were struggling with downgraded Model 2 or System 22 ports (both less powerful than the Model 3, yet much more powerful than any console at the time). So we are talking about a huge gap here, the Model 3 was a whole generation ahead at least. Even if you had the most expensive gaming PC with those brand new Voodoo cards, at best you could have something like Screamer in GL mode, which was laughable compared to this Model 3 showcase.

Discuss.

DaleinCalgary

Feb 9, 2014
Mario 64 still blew me away at the time

some others..

Intellivision: Utopia
Commodore 64: M.U.L.E.
PS: FF7

Eolz

Jun 1, 2014
Crysis 1

Hell, the quote "can it run crysis" was viable for a long time.

But yeah, probably some arcade game otherwise.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
May 30, 2004
saitama, jyapyaon
Virtua Racing/VF1 for ushering in the polygon era and Virtua Fighter 3 -- VF3 was basically the Crysis of the time and it was several years before we had a system that could run it perfectly.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Hmmm, even though the Dreamcast wasn't the most powerful hardware at the time (both PCs and Arcades could top it) i can agree with Shenmue.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Nov 14, 2012
Walnut, CA
You really enjoy them forward facing speed games doncha

Boney

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
Super Mario Bros in terms of home console experiences despite arcades trumping it.

keidashxd

Jul 11, 2014
Spain
In before Crysis appears I'll agree with both games, or the first Virtua Fighter which was not only impressive but incredibly smooth, but man, Scud Race was THE jaw dropping title at the time, nothing else came closer... the stages were overwhelming... you looked any other title in the arcade and your brain told you to stare at Scud Race.

Lime

Apr 27, 2008
Right now Witcher 3 and its two expansions are blowing my socks off in terms of audiovisual presentation and scope

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
but man, Scud Race was THE jaw dropping title at the time, nothing else came closer... the stages were overwhelming... you looked any other title in the arcade and your brain told you to stare at Scud Race.
I mean, even now i look at the background details and the almost limitless drawing distance and i'm still impressed.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Galaxy Force II

Oh yes, how could i forget this. The Y-Board, another "dream machine" of it's time. I miss Sega pushing the most advanced (and expensive) hardware in the world.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
May 30, 2004
saitama, jyapyaon
I would put VF3 ahead of Scud race because of things like cloth movement, animation all that. Scud Race was ridiculous (and still looks great in motion, even today). But I think there was just more going on in VF3.

potatohead

Aug 2, 2015
Model 3 is an easy pick, you could take any game from Model 3 hardware and it would stand out considerably in 90s.

For modern times easily Crysis.

Only Star Citizen probably now takes that flag on PC.

Dec 11, 2010
Doom 3, Crysis 1 and Ground Control (2)

I don't think Doom 3 really is a good pick because it was the same year as Half Life 2 and one year before FEAR. It was pretty amazing on launch but it wasn't super far ahead of the pack or anything.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Apr 23, 2010

Shenmue felt like from a decade ahead with weather changes, daynight cycle, the townspeople AI, and just the graphics with motion blur.

On the other side of the coin, (but still Dreamcast) Phantasy Star Online was a decade ahead not in graphics, sure, but in features. Online 4-player, custom emoji system for conversing with other languages, events, etc.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Model 3 is an easy pick, you could take any game from Model 3 hardware and it would stand out considerably in 90s.

For modern times easily Crysis.

Only Star Citizen probably now takes that flag on PC.
That's why i picked Scud Race specifically (VF3 being another good one) because it's an early Model 3 game released in 1996. Later on PC gaming would slowly catch up during Model 3's lifetime (up to 1999) but in 1996 Scud and VF3 crated the biggest gap IMO.

I Robot - 3D platform shooter from 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmvWxG2zvs8

Good call.

Apr 6, 2015
On the ps2 :

And of course the beautiful beast of the Vita :

Still can't believe a handheld can manage to show these graphics.

Brocken

Banned
Sep 6, 2014
My choice is Soul Calibur for Dreamcast

Came out before Shenmue and was the most impressive game of that time, the perfect definition of jawdropping

mdzapeer

Mar 11, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Crysis 1

The game was mind blowing when it came out and still does things which newer games don't. I mean which other game allows you to play a logger (cutting down trees into smaller pieces)?

Its CPU benchmark at ultra still drops into single digit frame rates.

ExelateDataExelateDataExelateData