• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Kingdom Com Deliverance Free on Epic store

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
Why does this game based on medieval Europe have so many white people in it? The devs must be nazis.
I am on 100th day of seeing anyone even remotely brown/black. Although I don't count Gypsies. This is directly in Prague. We must be such a white supremacist country, it's crazy. Well, next to Deutschland....etc.

Ladioss

Oct 21, 2018
Great sandbox RPG. I don't understand why so many people bashed it at release.

Kadayi

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
Discord : Kadayi#0650
Most people around here liked it if I remember right.

Indeed. It's a really good game and very innovative. Unfortunately because of a few too many fragile egos in the US gaming press just weren't down with contemplating the social realities of Medieval Rural Bohemia and the movement of people it largely got overlooked or snubbed wholesale in terms of coverage. All very lamentable.

Siri

Banned
Sep 1, 2019
A really good RPG - the only problem I have with the game is the fighting mechanics. They were aiming for ‘realism’ but for me the fighting was overly complicated and ultimately unsatisfying. It’s a game. The fighting needs to be gamey.

Anyway, should you pick this up for nothing? - hell yes!

Flintty

Apr 24, 2014
UK
I am on 100th day of seeing anyone even remotely brown/black. Although I don't count Gypsies. This is directly in Prague. We must be such a white supremacist country, it's crazy. Well, next to Deutschland....etc.

My daughter has a school trip in Prague later this year. Well she did.
Cancelled. Not letting her go to a racist country 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dec 4, 2018
I played it at a friends house once... came across like most western AA RPGs... buggy, ran like shit, looked like shit, played like shit... so I'll add it to my library but I'll most likely never install it.

Elektro Demon

Shits and Giggles
Nov 9, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
A really good RPG - the only problem I have with the game is the fighting mechanics. They were aiming for ‘realism’ but for me the fighting was overly complicated and ultimately unsatisfying. It’s a game. The fighting needs to be gamey.

Anyway, should you pick this up for nothing? - hell yes!
That's my gripe with it and the reason I didn't pick it up. It seems so damn clunky. But since it's free, I might give it a shot.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2013
Omaha, NE - USA
I tried it today. The combat feels a bit janky unless I’m not seeing its true potential? Inputs for attacking feel delayed and fighting early on is kinda pointless. I tried fighting the guy to pay his debt and had to turn it off. I ran away from the conflict, but it felt like he was just going to grab and kick me around for 5-10 minutes. The world looks very interesting, definitely enjoying that aspect of it. Grabbing apples from a table felt a bit dated in terms of tech. Am I wrong here? TES feels way more responsive in terms of controls. I’ll definitely try it again, but wanted to see if I’m just seeing things.

Cato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get it. It is not worth it. It is a trap.

Got two copies on console, one for me and I boutght another one for my daughter as a gift.
Beautiful game but clunky as hell.
I can live with that.

Then you get to the part where you have to learn how to "lock pick" a chest.
That is fucking broken on console, and unworkable.
It is not challenging, it it not "git gud" it is just fucking broken mechanic.
And they never even tried to address it on console afaik.
I returned my copy to gamestop for a handful of dollars. Will never buy a game from these fuckers again.

Stay well fucking clear from this game. The game has completely broken mechanics and the developer does not give a shit.

Last edited:

thief183

Aug 23, 2018
Italy

Damn, arsh words for what is probably the best rpg in those recent times.

For the ones worried about the combat, stick with it cause it will get better and more responsive as your character learn.

Reactions: hariseldon

Cato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, arsh words for what is probably the best rpg in those recent times.

For the ones worried about the combat, stick with it cause it will get better and more responsive as your character learn.

For sure, the combat has a learning curve. That is fine. I have no problem with that,

The fucking lockpicking UI on console is broken. do you play on console?
I bet 90% of people that just dropped this game on console did it when they hit the impossible lock-picking challenge quite early game.
Complete bullshit. Everyone knows it, and the developer never gave a shit.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If you're on PC there is a simple mod that allows you to manually save.

I like this game but couldn't get my head around the combat at all.

The combat seems to be a marmite thing. For me it was by far the most satisfying melee combat I've encountered in a game. By a fucking mile. I love the game so damn much.

Jan 12, 2020
And they never even tried to address it on console afaik.

The game has completely broken mechanics and the developer does not give a shit.
Warhorse actually did address it. Did you try with the simplified lockpicking setting?

Lockpicking is really not that hard, once you get the gist of it, and becomes ridiculously easy as your and Henry's skill increases. Then again, I'm on PC with a mouse.

KCD on PC was an instant classic and one of the best and most memorable games I've played. I've been Henry for almost 300 hours, so far.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018
The combat seems to be a marmite thing. For me it was by far the most satisfying melee combat I've encountered in a game. By a fucking mile. I love the game so damn much.
I enjoyed it, too, I just wish I could have gotten good at fighting. I still put 17 hours into it, but towards putting the game down, my fights were total cheese fests due to my complete ineptitude. I'd hit, run away, hit, run, try and keep trees between me and my foe.........pathetic, but it was all I could do.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it, too, I just wish I could have gotten good at fighting. I still put 17 hours into it, but towards putting the game down, my fights were total cheese fests due to my complete ineptitude. I'd hit, run away, hit, run, try and keep trees between me and my foe.........pathetic, but it was all I could do.

It's all about timing - once I got the timing sussed it became very satisfying one on one - needless to say managing a crowd is a huge challenge, as it should be. It's an incredibly hard game but an excellent one. On the lock-picking - it's not so bad with a mouse but yeah with a controller it's bloody terrible.

EDIT: Jesus fucking christ I did 108 hours!

Last edited by a moderator:

thief183

Aug 23, 2018
Italy
For sure, the combat has a learning curve. That is fine. I have no problem with that,

The fucking lockpicking UI on console is broken. do you play on console?
I bet 90% of people that just dropped this game on console did it when they hit the impossible lock-picking challenge quite early game.
Complete bullshit. Everyone knows it, and the developer never gave a shit.
There's should be a sumplified version on console... didn't they add it after the backlash?

Feb 9, 2018
I just checked my Steam library, I actually played 27 hours of this. A testament to how good the game is, considering I was getting my ass handed to me constantly.

Reactions: GHG and hariseldon

Lionel Richie

Jun 22, 2014
There's should be a sumplified version on console... didn't they add it after the backlash?

Would like some confirmation on this because all links I've seen of people talking about this issue are from 2018 and there's a dude who said this would be patched in version 1.3.

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
Would like some confirmation on this because all links I've seen of people talking about this issue are from 2018 and there's a dude who said this would be patched in version 1.3.
I play on Xbox and bought the Royal Edition in 2019 (Includes all the updates and DLC) and lock picking isn't that hard and isn't an issue at all. There is also an easy mode that you can select for lock picking. So it must be fixed.

Last edited:

Soleil rouge

May 17, 2010
I wouldn't recommend this game on consoles. It's nearly unplayable without a number of QoL mods and a beefy gaming PC. The combat is all about timing and it's far easier to get a feel for it when you're not restricted by slow framerate/screen tearing.

Otherwise, it has great story, setting, atmosphere, open world exploration, and immersion.

Jan 12, 2020
It's nearly unplayable without a number of QoL mods and a beefy gaming PC.
That's a big stinking load of manure.

I've never used mods and am enjoying the heck out of the game. Although in the beginning, some 300 gameplay hours ago, I did consider installing the first-person herb picking mod but eventually got used to picking herbs in third-person. I still think it was a strange design decision, whatever the reason for it might have been.

Last edited:

Soleil rouge

May 17, 2010
That's a big stinking load of manure.

I've never used mods and am enjoying the heck out the game. Although in the beginning, some 300 gameplay hours ago, I did consider installing the first-person herb picking mod but eventually I got used to picking herbs in third-person. I still think it was a strange design decision, whatever the reason for it might have been.

I should've rephrased that to "nearly unplayable for myself". I'm a framerate elitist nowadays.

I'm shocked that you own it on PC and don't use any mods. More power to you.

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Arizona
It seems there is a bunch of outdated information out there about Kingdom Come Deliverance on consoles and a little on PC. Lock picking was fixed . For the Royal Edition, on the Xbox One X anyways, you can save both in-game using potions or at the main menu. The Xbox One X version also supports QHD and 4K, with texture and shadow enhancements, along with improved frame rates.

Reactions: Bullet Club

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
It's the first Epic giveaway I've taken the time to play and so far I'm liking it a lot more than I expected.
There's some jank and my FPS tank when in big cities, but I'm liking the world and gameplay and the writing/characters are honestly some of the best from this gen. Also props for having actual sidequests with unique stories.
Oh and I love the combat though you need to put a bit of time into it and at least get some basic skills for it to get fun.

Says $30 for me?

It's no longer free. It was one of the weekly free giveaways at the Epic Store.

Reactions: hariseldon

iHaunter

Sep 6, 2015

Ah darn, oh well.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ah darn, oh well.
Well worth spending actual money on. I got mine from gog a while back and have zero regrets.

ExelateDataExelateDataExelateData