• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

MARIO + RABBIDS: Kingdom Battle |OT| XCOM on mushrooms

King_Moc

Banned
Sep 19, 2010
England
I meant how chapters lol. I'm at 1-8 I think.

There are 8 main chapters, plus two hidden ones. I think it's 20 battles in total. Then there are 10 challenge levels which are much better imo.

maxmars

May 16, 2005
Italy
www.facebook.com
after 3h i can say that this is a solid game and i expected much worse. my biggest fear was that they would go overboard with the rabbids slapstick but so far it's tolerable. i can already say that this is the best ubisoft game in this decade.

Best ubi game this decade.. It depends which kind of games you like I guess. R6: Siege is still king to me (but I'm still at 1-5 with Mario+Rabbids after one play session). Most polished ubi game this decade, definitely!

On things is, I did NOT expect to like the overworld this much! It's like the team wanted to make a proper Mario game of sorts and Nintendo stopped them halfway through.

The change of pace between battles, where you are fixed on shaving half a turn by mixing abilities and order of execution, and the overworld where you need to solve puzzles and apply some skills (e.g. red coins) makes you want to keep going. It's addictive.

The blending of settings is also very well done, it almost looks as the rabbids belong in the mushroom kingdom. Only thing is, I don't feel the story very much. Deus ex machina à go-go.

All in all one of the best games this year so far, I'm really impressed!

Katzenjammer

Apr 21, 2009
Has anyone else noticed any slight audio glitching in this game? Occasionally the audio will briefly cut out for me. It's not a huge deal, but a bit distracting and I'm wondering if it's a common thing.

I am patched to the current version...
I've noticed this too. I assume it's from the audio loop starting over but I can't say for sure. I've also noticed a few graphical glitches, I think they're there to remind me that Nintendo didn't make this game :p

This game friggin rocks, the mechanics are so much fun to interact with, and there's so much depth in deciding how to use the actions in the best possible order. So far I'm only up to 1-8 and I really hope the gameplay doesn't get boring anytime soon, my biggest gripe so far is that I've been getting perfects in every battle by a large margin so far.

Has there been any other game like this where the "Move" command has so much going on?

Ferrio

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
Haven't played that much, but this is a Mario RPG moment. Where another developer takes Mario, puts him in a total new genre and pulls it off brilliantly.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jul 1, 2009
Saw a gif on reddit of Luigi dabbing, what's the dank meme to game ratio? Was that a one off thing or do I have to start loving/accepting this...whatever dab move is. I thought dabbing was weed related, like wax or w/e...what is happening

Andyliini

May 16, 2015
I just got my code for the Pixel Pack. I happened to buy the Season Pass yestarday, and as far as I remember I got the Pixel Pack with that one. I'll make sure that's the case, but if I already have it, I'll give it to someone who wants it.

duckroll

Jun 7, 2004
I just got my code for the Pixel Pack. I happened to buy the Season Pass yestarday, and as far as I remember I got the Pixel Pack with that one. I'll make sure that's the case, but if I already have it, I'll give it to someone who wants it.

Season Pass = Steampunk pack. Right?

Edit: Oh, it looks like the Pixel Pack does come with the Season Pass in Europe, and the entire pack is Euro only? Weird!

FlutterPuffs

Apr 6, 2011
would love it!

HeroR

May 10, 2012
I had no plan to, but I decide to buy this game. I needed a good single-player game since I burnt of Zelda (plan to start again when DLC pack 2 drops) and Splatoon 2 for over a month is starting to wear on me. I was playing to buy ARMS, but right now Splatoon 2 is still filling me multiplayer needs.

I hope I don't regret it since I bought it from the E-Shop so no refuses and I never played this type of game before.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sep 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
www.neogaf.com
Got through World 2, definitely got more difficult and complicated. Not even sure what team to roll with since I've been liking everyone, but it's a lot of money to keep up with everyone's weapons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dec 20, 2013
Faro, Portugal
just bought a Mario x Rabbids game instead of the brand new XCOM Expansion...

First Trump, now this, truly we are in the darkest timeline :3

No, but seriously tho, imagine saying that to yourself from 2 years ago or something.

DecoReturns

May 12, 2014
Got through World 2, definitely got more difficult and complicated. Not even sure what team to roll with since I've been liking everyone, but it's a lot of money to keep up with everyone's weapons.
Luigi and Rabbid Luigi are unstoppable for me. Been getting perfects with just them in world 2

sgb

Oct 13, 2012
Need the scoop before i add it to the backlog!

How Long? Seen 20 hours but is that including whatever the season pass gives? Is there a hard mode? Or anything of substance to grant replay-ability?

I have a hard time spending 50-60 these days for a game thats only 20 hours I'll play once...

massoluk

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
I have a feeling I'll be getting screwed a lot in this game, the first boss (Piranha Plant) is already giving me a hard time. Was breezing through the early tutorial levels, then bamm, first boss, first dead, restart Fire Emblem style

Cartho

Jan 19, 2016
OH NOES! The electrician has had to turn the power off in my flat while he installs a smart meter. I can't play my shiny new....

Oh wait.

God I adore this system.

Ninja Dom

Mar 15, 2005
London
I've just got the game. I've done about four tutorial battles. Only played in handheld mode but this game is a battery drainer. Anybody else noticed?

Including downloading the game from the eShop (very fast connection), and playing up where you get to Peach's Castle and first see the Museum and Battle HQ - I've gone from 100% to 65% and I've played for only around 30 minutes.

Diablohead

Jun 4, 2006
I've just got the game. I've done about four tutorial battles. Only played in handheld mode but this game is a battery drainer. Anybody else noticed?

Including downloading the game from the eShop (very fast connection), and playing up where you get to Peach's Castle and first see the Museum and Battle HQ - I've gone from 100% to 65% and I've played for only around 30 minutes.
That doesn't sound right, I would expect the game to drain at the same rate as say Mario kart and Zelda which is about 2.5 hours overall.

Might just be your battery reading belightly slightly uncalibrated, let it drain all the way before your next change and see if that helps.

matrix-cat

Jan 9, 2009
I kind of wish there was an easy way of telling if the spot you want to move your character to will be in an enemy's sights. You can tell if you'll be able to hit them at a glance, but not if they'll be able to hit you.

I suppose I have to get into the habit of using the Tacticam more often, because that's where that information is. Also I have a terrible habit of forgetting which enemies are on Overwatch :p

Loving the game so far, though. I'm up to 2-7 now, really looking forward to this world's boss.

Cartho

Jan 19, 2016
Man challenge 7 in world one is tricky. Got to kill 5 of those sunflower plant things (the world 1 midboss) in a very small play area with 3 chain chomps running amok. Feels like you're torn between getting blasted to ribbons by the plants but all the cover is in the middle, where the chomps are. 🤔

DKPOWPOW

Jan 26, 2017
Played a couple hours so far. Fun, though the levels seem extremely linear with not much option to go and explore. Maybe it's because I put so much time into Zelda but it's really noticeable.

I like the combat a lot, the presentation is great. Love the sense of humor and stupid rabbids lol. It's a bit too easy but I can tell this is a game that will whup you if you're not paying attention.

fl0w

Jun 19, 2012
About that, I got a code from amazon but when I login to the ubi redeem page tell me I can't redeem code in my country (EU - FR). Anyone got this issue too ?

Same here (Sweden). Got the game from a local retailer.

Fliesen

Feb 18, 2014
How do i get my Pixel DLC pre-order something ingame?

I added it to my uplay / club ubisoft account, but i don't really see a way to connect my uplay to the game on the Switch.
Does that get unlocked at a later point in the game?

Deja

Sep 19, 2016
North West England
I'm really enjoying the game so far, the battles are simple enough to get your head around but there's decent layering of combat with the jumping and dashing attacks. A friend and I played through the intro world, then unlocked the Co-op stuff and beat both of those on hard without too much trouble.

I've always stayed away from "tactics" type games, even though I'm a massive fan of turn based combat in general. For some reason as a kid, I always thought these looked really complicated and it put me off them even into adulthood.

I'm using this as a soft-entry into a genre with characters and elements I recognise before finally getting around to playing Disgaea 5.

Seik

Banned
Apr 17, 2011
Enter the Smashers; First time I had to restart a chapter.

I didn't pay enough attention in the first battle though, at first I though HP came back after each battle, not chapter, gotta stay sharp.

ExelateDataExelateDataExelateData