Do You Trust Autosaves?

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Kind of an odd question, but I'm in my hyperactive "must do something right now" mode, so I decided to make a thread. Lucky you!

Anyways, I noticed that whenever I play games with a lot of autosaving (for instance, Bethesda games), I seem to not trust the autosaves that it creates, and, even if I KNOW that the autosave is secure, farther ahead, more advantageous, etc., I'll almost always choose a manual save.

Don't know why, and as far as I know, there's never been an instance where loading an autosave has caused me any type of problems.

I just don't trust them.

Which is funny when I think about it, because a couple years ago, as I was playing Oblivion, I accidentally saved over my only save for my super-powerful mage character. This could have been easily resolved by just loading an autosave. The only problem was that I turned autosaving off, because I don't trust autosaving.

I must be paranoid or something.

Anyways, do YOU trust autosaves?

Off topic: I'm getting captchas on just about every post I make, I REALLY wish the Escapist could get rid of them already.

fnlrpa

Dec 14, 2010
Depends on the game type/ company. Bethesda I trust most of the time but Bioware and sometimes obsidian, no

Chocomint

Jul 12, 2009
I generally do manual saves just to be sure. The autosaves in Skyrim have been good, but I save constantly anyway since I tend to do stupid, careless things and die in the middle of a dungeon or while trekking through the wilderness for hours.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
In Skyrim, and pretty much all games with autosave function, I just delete the autosaves and make manual saves. I just prefer that and it seems more reliable.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Most of the time, It never crosses my mind.

I was playing through Lord of the Rings: War in the North though, and the game "Forgot" that I already completed part of the main quest and wouldn't let me pass until I did it again, problem was backtracking is impossible in certain Areas. :|

I was really enjoying the game up until that point, I just deleted and started again, great game apart from that annoyance.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I've got no trouble trusting auto-saves. I haven't turned them off in years, but I used to back when they would cause noticeable delays during gameplay.

I also quick save a lot, and make manual saves every few hours. Usually I load from the most recent quick save.

GirDraconis

Jun 11, 2011
I always end the day with my own save. I trust auto-saves but not enough to put hours and hours of game-play on the line.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
No trust in autosaves, particularly with Skyrim and FONV I sometimes get CTDs when the game attempts to autosave. I ususally use quicksaves or hard saves every half hour or so.