Trump’s Yemen raid that left a Navy SEAL dead didn’t lead to useful intelligence: report
Trump deflected blame and the White House said the raid was a success, but senior officials disagree
Skip to CommentsTopics: Donald Trump, Yemen, Video News, News, Politics News
Less than a week after President Donald Trump’s raid on Yemen was denounced by the father of the SEAL who was killed in combat there, officials are reporting that it has not provided meaningful intelligence — which was initially cited as the reason why the raid had been a success.
Senior officials are saying that they don’t know of any so-called “actionable intelligence” gathered by the raid, according to NBC News. One senior congressional official with inside knowledge also told NBC News that he didn’t know why al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula was even targeted by the SEAL raid, since he is unaware of any impending threat from that particular al-Qaeda chapter.
Earlier on Tuesday, Trump appeared on Fox News and defended the mission by saying, “This was a mission that started before I got here. This is something that they (his generals) wanted to do. They came to see me; they explained what they wanted to do. My generals are the most respected we’ve had in many decades I believe.”