us

Am I the only one who thinks Skyrim is overrated?

Discussion in 'Xbox Lobby' started by GKDAIR, Sep 23, 2012.

1. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Almost Not a Noob

Advertisement
    Oblivion, to me..will always and forever be the perfect Elder Scrolls game. Yes, i've played Morrowind.

When playing Skyrim I was IMMEDIATELY saying "This...doesn't feel right" Now, with that said I still think Skyrim is a FANTASTIC game.

However, Skyrim is as wide as an ocean, but as deep as a puddle. There is hours upon hours of things to do but none of these have any depth or meaning.

The guild quest can be done in just 3-4 hours, which is pathetic, you practically become the harbinger the next day after joining the guild. In Oblivion you actually had to progress and it felt like you were rising through the ranks!

Also, random events are nothing more than filler crap that serves no purpose other than to distract you for all of 5 seconds. Quests that you think will have an epic climax simply fall flat and end with a dud, final boss fights are amazingly underwhelming, and dungeons are flat out linear as hell.

Oblivion just nailed it on the head, yes it was generic fantasy, but its dungeons were complex and epic, yes, bandits would wear full deadric armor and ask you for gold, but I was ok with that because it was an equal challenge throughout the entire game.

Skyrim is just..too shallow. its like trying to get wet in a kiddie pool. You can do it, but its not the same as swimming in the 12 foot deep section.

Anybody agree?

2. andrew_136101

andrew_136101 Noob

Skyrim...........................okay let's face the facts
    1. There are still a ton of issues
    2. the lack of constructive gameplay like for example for every level up i re adjust my strategy on fighting my enemies which shouldn't happen because for every level up we have to increase our Defense/attacking power which is stupid
    3.Lack of exploration OUTSIDE of skyrim i mean since PC users discover routes to Morrowind and the Imperial City one must wonder will these location be DLC
    4. Lack of very constructive character creation i mean come on this is 2012 we should be able to have a photo of ourselves or a celebrity or something lol
    5. Enemies are still acting retarded during combat because mages still run until they get into a fixed position and the fact that bandits wearing nothing but low armor score clothing still battle it out makes for funny gameplay
    6.the guild quests are either mold together from the same clay or two of them are while one them is acting like "this is the alternate version of that!"

ugh there are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many reasons why Skyrim is not better than Oblivion

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

Last edited by andrew_136101, Sep 23, 2012
    MysticDemise36 likes this.
  3. DanielJr

DanielJr Mmm... donuts.

Skyrim has its share of trolls, too. No, you're not the only one who thinks it's overrated.

I love it, naysayers and haters be damned.

GaemzDood likes this.
  4. andrew_136101

andrew_136101 Noob

lol back when they announce it they keep saying "IT WILL BE THE BEST GAME SINCE OBLIVION" that's when we all bought it and took an arrow to the knee realizing that it's sooo not what they told us

5. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

It is absolutely not overrated. lol at people who actually legitimately believe that Skyrim is a lesser game than Oblivion. They are all (Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind) incredible games and I've put extensive time into each of them but Skyrim takes the cake. It's the best. If you say otherwise it's because you prefer one of the other two over Skyrim, which is fine but that doesn't make it better.

GaemzDood and DanielJr like this.
  6. andrew_136101

andrew_136101 Noob

I think it takes MAJOR carving out to make Skyrim your favorite game if you carve it out properly then Skyrim will be your favorite game for life

7. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

I'm not sure I understand your point there.

8. andrew_136101

andrew_136101 Noob

Skyrim requires alot of planning out because some enemies are more powerful at the starting level than you know therefore you have to think
    what kind of character should i be? a mage? a warrior? or what, then as you rise in level you have to start thinking how much potions should i bring which armor should i get and if so who should i bring along as my companion during dungeon diving just in case

9. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

I believe you may be over-thinking things slightly.
    Regardless.. I don't view what you posted a bad thing. More strategy=greater game in my book.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

Last edited by k_mart_9, Sep 23, 2012
  10. ArmoredZambo

ArmoredZambo Almost Not a Noob

Skyrim was fun for a couple weeks like many other games, but by no means do I think it should get so much praise. It also seems like that this was the first RPG to get major exposure and a first in the game genre for a lot of people, and a lot of people seem to always state their first as the best, so yea.

MysticDemise36 and DasWhermacht like this.
  11. _AbBaNdOn

_AbBaNdOn Star

The only reason I like Bethesda games is for the exploration. Skyrim is a nice place to explore(haven't played any other so I can't compare) and thats where my feelings for skyrim end. I enjoy playing it but I think it pretty much sucks in almost every other area. Crap combat, stupid balance, crap ally system, broken quests, glitchy screen transitions, UGLY graphics. I have 2 character and hope to add the game to my collection one day and have even more but I do not consider it to be the best.

So far my favorite Bethesda game is Fallout New Vegas(Who knows what obsidian was responsable for and what bethesda was responsable for in that game). Fallout 3 would be my second favorite and then Skyrim bringing up the rear.

12. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

There is nothing wrong with the combat, balance or ally system in Skyrim. The only gripe you make that makes sense is about the broken quests. The graphics are not ugly at all. In fact, most of the environments are jaw-dropping amazing.

Honestly, I'm scratching my head at these posts. Some of you guys have no respect for good games.

This is not true. Oblivion was a massive success and introduced most into the genre.

GaemzDood likes this.
  13. joshywa09

joshywa09 Noob

Skyrim definitely has it's shortcomings, there's no argument there. I think that there's room for discussion on what's better, Oblivion or Skyrim. But I don't think people can discount things that Skyrim did well. In playing Oblivion the interface could be cumbersome and while Skyrim doesn't perfect it, it is an improvement. Skyrim is also a more accessible game for people. That is not always a good thing, it is good to get more people into Tamriel and have more people support a product.

14. andrew_136101

andrew_136101 Noob

lol that's the simplest way to put my comment lol
    More Strategy=greater game

15. martintheking

martintheking Prime Member

Skyrim is low-quality entertainment.

The game was rushed just like ME3.

16. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

There's little room, if any. Skyrim took almost every aspect of Oblivion and improved upon it to some degree.

[edit] The game was not rushed, please. It was in development for many, many years. Low quality entertainment? What a joke of a comment. Why are there so many haters flocking to this thread?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

Last edited by k_mart_9, Sep 24, 2012
  17. Mdesilva

Mdesilva No Longer a Noob

I didn't give it enough time to have a fair judgement

18. BluntmanFalcore

BluntmanFalcore Star

I liked it for its exploration value, but as for combat, it was horrible. I've yet to have fun with a character that doesn't use stealth. The bugs of these types of games also seem to get overlooked over and over again. Ironically, it still got over a 100 hours from me though, so I guess it warranted my purchase albeit being a little overrated.

19. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Almost Not a Noob

K_mart_9 is so blinded by fanboyism he refuses to acknowledge something might be remotely not AMAZINGLY SUPA AWESOME FUN TIME with Skyrim.

This is what my biggest problem with skyrim is, the community. They REFUSE to accept anything is wrong with Skyrim, and I know there are a lot of level headed people out there who acknowledge Skyrims faults, and I admit I am overly critical of the game, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that while its more polished then say, Oblivion, Oblivion is double the RPG experience that Skyrim can even hope to be.

Let me just throw out some examples.

1) Why do I have the same skill with a dagger as I do a a "Blunt Mace of Superior Fire Making"

2) Why are alchemy and smithing such a chore to level up? In Oblivion Alchemy was easy and repairing could be done while on adventures, better armor came with leveling up not griding a skill.

3) Why do guards know that I am the leader of the Dark Brotherhood yet refuse to do anything about it? In Oblivion they would suspect you were the leader but never knew.

4) I'm the harbinger, arch-mage, head of dark brotherhood and theives guild, and guards still say "You do what? Fetch the Mead?"

5) Why are their practically no other races in this game besides human like beings? In my 100+ Hours of Skyrim I have seen 4 Argonians, and 1 of them was on a loading screen. I know that Skyrim is home to the nords but Cyrodill was home to the imperials and I saw a good balance of all races

6) How on earth are these dungeons so linear? They feel so fake and artificial, you can obviously tell that they were designed by a human, and oh, look at that, a convinieant exit route so I don't have to walk all the way back.

Those are some very small complaints on the list of thousands that I have.

20. LoneFox777

LoneFox777 Almost Not a Noob

My problem with the game is that it isn't fun. I've tried to like it, really. I forced myself through maybe 10-11 hours of it, but I couldn't take it anymore. Bethesda makes the most bland, boring, uninteresting fantasy worlds I've played. Doesn't help that they include some ridiculous annoying mechanics like "LOOK! You can pick up ANYTHING!" My god! Who gives a ****?! I don't want to pick up that piece of crap useless embalming tool next to the gold/potion I'm trying to pick up. STOP IT. It's STUPID. Dont even get me started on the POS animations and horrible decade old combat system.

It's embarrassing these games do so well.

Last edited by LoneFox777, Sep 24, 2012
  21. joshywa09

joshywa09 Noob

I agree. But, I could hear an argument that Skyrim is too mainstream and less "hardcore". I don't think this is a problem, but people exist with that opinion.

22. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

The point I make is the game improves over Oblivion in nearly every aspect. The game has faults, as every other game does. As someone who put hundreds of hours into both titles I can say with great confidence that I know what I'm talking about.

Those are ridiculously critical complaints you make there. I don't usually do this, but I gotta dissect them a bit.

1) Why do I have the same skill with a dagger as I do a a "Blunt Mace of Superior Fire Making"
    So it's a fault that the game gives you the opportunity to be an expert with all crafts of weaponry? If you don't want to use a particular type of weapons, don't use it. It's as simple as that.

2) Why are alchemy and smithing such a chore to level up? In Oblivion Alchemy was easy and repairing could be done while on adventures, better armor came with leveling up not griding a skill.
    All I can say to this is, you're doing it wrong.

3) Why do guards know that I am the leader of the Dark Brotherhood yet refuse to do anything about it? In Oblivion they would suspect you were the leader but never knew.
    No comment.

4) I'm the harbinger, arch-mage, head of dark brotherhood and theives guild, and guards still say "You do what? Fetch the Mead?"
    I know right? Those asshole guards making silly jokes. Such douchebagery. This game sucks!

5) Why are their practically no other races in this game besides human like beings? In my 100+ Hours of Skyrim I have seen 4 Argonians, and 1 of them was on a loading screen. I know that Skyrim is home to the nords but Cyrodill was home to the imperials and I saw a good balance of all races
    Because Nords are not a welcoming society. It's the story, deal with it.

6) How on earth are these dungeons so linear? They feel so fake and artificial, you can obviously tell that they were designed by a human, and oh, look at that, a convinieant exit route so I don't have to walk all the way back.
    Of all the things you could have complained about, you chose the dungeon layout? Would you have rather had Oblivion's 1 size/layout fits all? Man, pick your battles...take those hater shades off.

[edit]^I view Skyrim as the type of game that's hardcore yet can be casual if you chose to play at that type of pace. It's extremely open-ended.

Last edited by k_mart_9, Sep 24, 2012
    Battery9897 likes this.
  23. andrew_136101

andrew_136101 Noob

I give the game a 9/10 and all of it is because of the gameplay mechanics of Skyrim i mean did reviews ACTUALLY went and compare the game Oblivion with Skyrim and jot down the differences and the similarities give me ONE site that actually went through this

now on to the reason in Oblivion the leveling up system is ridiculous i mean you have to constantly play Oblivion to get your skill up to a certain level to get more goodies or Daedric quests and I like the whole thing with the Strength, Intelligence, Willpower, Speed, Endurance, Persona, Luck from Oblivion because they tell you the higher the number the higher the skill will be better and you don't have this whole division of Skills in Skyrim where one half of the skills are based on Magic, the other Warrior, and the last Thief or Assassin because for each 10th level the enemies either get tougher or real easy and also you have to constantly re adjust your gameplay methods to make the game better for you

For Example
    Levels: 1-10: You have to work on better defense for your armor
    Levels: 10-20: You have to work on your offense and defense as a warrior
    Levels:20-30: You have to work on your offense and defense as a mage because lol they will get harder
    Levels:30-40+: All of the above

and where is the Thief/Assassin skill tree in all of this?! mostly everyone will just probably get the Speech up to Max because you get your items at a low price and sell your junk at a much higher price

Is the Leveling up system in Oblivion is ridiculous yes! is it better understanding than Skyrim though? Yes! because with Oblivion you don't have to worry about your "build" character all points go to your Major Skills and your LEAST favorite skills as with Skyrim you have to constantly figure out "Okay where is my character at this level what skills should he or she should have by THIS level"

24. FrankieJCool

FrankieJCool Almost Not a Noob

it's got problems, but boy did those first 100+ suck me into the game like few others. it may be somewhat shallow in some areas, but it covers this fact with its enormous amount content it has in the entire package. by the time you realized that you've been rinsing and repeating a lot of the same side quests and cave looting adventures you've spent much more time with the game than most others can offer in totality. it was my first elder scrolls game as well, but i enjoyed it immensely. i realize the most fun hours of play are far behind me now and it has become somewhat of a grind, but i can still go back and play it and have fun even with 250+ hours logged. This is all my own opinion of course. i don't speak for anyone else but myself

DanielJr likes this.
  25. phillyblunt90000

phillyblunt90000 No Longer a Noob

Its not awful but it is a bit overrated. I had lots of fun but in the end i traded it in towards Dragon's Dogma.

26. saveusy2cj

saveusy2cj No Longer a Noob

Skyrim is a good game I enjoy it. Hey you there uou don't belong here, epic.

GaemzDood likes this.
  27. Killer_K1

Killer_K1 No Longer a Noob

i'd like it more if the dragon battles didn't suck major arse.

28. johnjameson

johnjameson Noob

[​IMG]

seriously, if you guys don't like a game, you don't have to play it.

bitching about games you don't like is retarded, and goes nowhere.

29. PurePhenomenal

PurePhenomenal No Longer a Noob

I don't think the game is bad from an objective standpoint, but I personally hate it (and Oblivion).

30. BluntmanFalcore

BluntmanFalcore Star

What else are "Discussion" forums there for then? We can only talk about things we like? No one can disagree? The game ain't perfect, that's all we are trying to say. Skyrim fanboys are far and wide and tend to be a little arrogant when talking about their game (I understand you'll find that with any fanbase, but I've been attacked by numerous amounts of Skyrim fans for the littlest of things). You almost can't have a problem with the game without being swarmed with blind fans. This is coming from someone who played the game for over 100 hours, its fun, just not as perfect as everyone makes it sound. I mean almost every review makes it seem like the second coming of Christ.

31. srad69

srad69 Almost Not a Noob

Comparing new games to old games never ends well. The older you get, the less influenced you are by media. Skyrim is an excellent game and we're lucky to have it, period.

Droth1187 likes this.
  32. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Almost Not a Noob

This another thing I don't understand, nobody complained about the leveling system when it was just Morrowind, but Oblivion came along and suddenly messed everything up. People GREATLY over exaggerate how bad the leveling is, you do not have to constantly track your progress to make sure you don't level the wrong skill, that is complete crap. As long as your aren't an idiot and place something like "Speechcraft" as a major skill, you will be fine no matter what your playstyle is.

I have put more hours into Oblivion than probably everyone on this board has put into Skyrim. Oblivion is not the vomit spewed filth that these "Skytards" want you to think it is. In fact, mostly everyone I've talked to IRL has said Oblivion overall is a better game.

Nobody can argue that Skyrim is indeed more polished and has better graphics, but from an RPG standpoint Skyrim blows, theres no depth to anything and its community greatly exagerates how amazing the game is.

33. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

lol, this guy

34. BluntmanFalcore

BluntmanFalcore Star

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you screw yourself pretty easy in Oblivion by overleveling? Its been awhile since I played, but I'm pretty sure that is why I stopped. I remember questing a lot before the Oblivion Gates and the second I decided to tackle the main quest, it was so damn difficult that I couldn't kill measly enemies in the Oblivion Gates without endless amounts of frustration. I had two 30 hour playthroughs where I couldn't tackle the gates due to the enemies being too tough.

35. schxick

schxick No Longer a Noob

I do but the game's just not for me. I'd rather play a high-quality RPG from nearly any other blueprint. The things Bethesda developers care about are not the things I care about, and the things I care about are not the things Bethesda developers care about.

36. ArmoredZambo

From everyone that I know that of that got into RPG games was because of Skyrim, sadly I see Skyrim as a poor entry point for someone wanting to play RPG games.

37. AugmentedDownThere

AugmentedDownThere Head of Security

Skyrim is overrated.

The combat is simplistic, easy and detached. The storyline is meh. The amount of glitches and bugs are unacceptable for a AAA title.

It is a fun sandbox to explore and does a lot of things well. Just not nearly as legendary as some people make it out to be IMO.

38. AugmentedDownThere

AugmentedDownThere Head of Security

I disagree with this. If you get good armor (abundant and easy to find or craft) the game becomes laughably easy. You can overcome any stupid perk decisions just by getting better gear.

Melee builds play exactly the same regardless of the enemy or difficulty level. Rush in, hack away until it dies. Feel safe behind your armor. There are like 4 moves you can do for melee as well... not very deep or strategic in comparison to other RPGs out there.

If you are a mage that understands basic concepts of crowd control the game is still incredibly easy. Stun enemies, line of sight while double charging your spell, fire. Run to the same or different cover. Rinse and repeat.

Plus all the dragon fights are the same. Which is sad since it was the major selling point of the game.

39. k_mart_9

k_mart_9 Star

I don't believe this. I don't know a single person who got into RPGs through Skyrim.
    Second point is a moronic statement. I've been a fan of RPGs for longer than you've been gaming (assuming you're as young as I think you are). I think some of you guys don't realize how far games/RPGs have come. Regardless if you enjoy the game or not, Skyrim should be respected for what it does well. Rather than focusing on the smaller things that supposedly classify it as a terrible game.

AugmentedDownThere likes this.
  40. ArmoredZambo

I'm 20 btw, and I never said Skyrim was a terrible game, I put almost a hundred hours into it. All I was saying was that from my perspective at this current juncture in the gaming community it seems like the mass of the community that sticks to maybe one kind of genre was introduced to RPGs through Skyrim's hype and the game itself. I know you may see it differently because of how older you think you are than me, but all of the kids I grew up playing Halo with and going to school with only stopped playing FPS's when Skyrim came out. Just to clarify the first RPGs I played that introduced me into the amazing genre were KotOR and Morrowind.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

Last edited by ArmoredZambo, Sep 26, 2012
  41. 09ynscha

09ynscha Noob

dude, Oblivion was very good, obviosly but at least on skyrim you can TURN when moving.2 things: 1.Dragons 2.FUS RO DAH

42. JDemon772

JDemon772 Noob

three years is rushed?

43. RuexMedia

RuexMedia Noob

i hate Skyrm. always will..

44. BluntmanFalcore

BluntmanFalcore Star

Sure seems like it with the amount of bugs that came with the game first day. I've learned a very important thing about Bethesda games, don't buy them day one. Fallout NV was an absolute mess until some patches cleared some things up.

45. Droth1187

Droth1187 Feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes

i got into Skyrim more then Obilivion, so Skyrim wins in my book.

46. nukacolarola

nukacolarola Noob

I was so into the hype about it but truth be told it's the game I've become bored of the most quickly.

47. Mandoble

Mandoble Almost Not a Noob

Being Skyrim an incredible game, and probably the very best RPG to date, its problem when compared with Oblivion is that it was created with the 360 in mind while the other was taking what PCs were able to do for its time. Skyrim might have been far more epic if not designed considering any console constraints. These "epic" army battles of 10 vs 10 are out of place for PC gaming the same as simplistic siegues to cities or having the cities as isolated "maps" from the world.

48. BluntmanFalcore

BluntmanFalcore Star

Best RPG to date is pushing it a little bit. If you think that, that's fine, my opinion differs. I think it's a good game, but a lot of things hold it back from that title. I guess it depends on what you look for in a RPG.

49. Mandoble

Mandoble Almost Not a Noob

Well, what would you name as best RPG then and what RPG factors are missing there?

50. BluntmanFalcore

BluntmanFalcore Star

It would be a toss up between The Witcher 2 (just absolutely blew me away), Xenoblade Chronicles (fun all the way throughout, some of the most enjoyable combat I've played in a RPG), or Mass Effect (actually made me think I was Commander Shepherd, really immersed myself more than most games). I'm too indecisive to pick one, lol. Skyrim is a good game, but I got bored with it fast, plus the amount of bugs turned me off for a majority of the game. I'm also not a fan of Elder Scrolls combat system. With a little tweaking and refining, it could make the game substantially better. If you think it is the best, that's cool, I respect your opinion, and I would say that not many games match the exploration aspect of Skyrim, but too many things the longer you play stick out like a sore thumb. I must say that I'm in anticipation of a next Elder Scrolls game to see what they improve upon.