Close Panel

Qualifying begins: 20 June

The Draw: 24 June

Pre-event Press Conferences: 25 & 26 June

Order of Play: 26 June

Championships begin: 27 June

We use simple text files called cookies, saved on your computer, to help us deliver the best experience for you. Click continue to acknowledge that you are happy to receive cookies from
CONTINUE >Find out more
Visitor A to Z
About the AELTC


The day-to-day operations of The Championships are led and conducted by the AELTC.

The AELTC is a wholly owned subsidiary of The All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club Limited ("the Club") and, on 1 August 2011, acquired all the assets and undertaking of the Club in relation to The Championships.

The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited, Church Road, Wimbledon, Tel: +44 (0)20 8944 1066

The Board: P.G.H.Brook (Chairman), Ms S.J. Ambrose, N.A. Basing, The Lord O'Donnell GCB KCB CB, R.M. Gradon, T.H. Henman O.B.E., I.L. Hewitt, Mrs A.W.L. Innes, S.A. Jones L.V.O,  G.M. Newton, R.T. Stoakes, A.J.K. Tatum.

Directors: R.A.Lewis C.B.E. (Chief Executive), Miss S.Clarke (Championships Director), R.G.Atkinson (Finance Director), M.J.Desmond (Commercial Director), R.Deatker (Estate Director), M.W.C.Guntrip (Club Director), T.J.Wilson (IT Director).

AELTC and Museum Staff

The permanent members of the Executive include the Chief Executive, Championships Director, Financial Director, Marketing Director, Commercial Director, Information Technology Director and Club Secretary. There are also 50 other administrative staff, 16 permanent members of the ground staff (including the Head Groundsman) and a team of 33 buildings and services staff including the Buildings and Services Manager. The Dressing Rooms have a staff of four while 11 full and part-time staff are assigned to the Members' Dining Room.

There are four members of staff at the AELTC's Raynes Park sports ground. The Museum has 10 permanent staff while a number of temporary staff support the AELTC in the busiest periods.

The Club

The Club was founded on 23 July 1868 as The All England Croquet Club. Its name was changed in 1877 to The All England Croquet  and Lawn Tennis Club and in 1899 to The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. On 1 August 2011 the Club was converted into a company limited by guarantee under the name The All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club Limited. The activities of the Club, as a private members' club, are conducted separately from The Championships.

Patron Her Majesty The Queen

President H.R.H. The Duke of Kent, K.G., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O., A.D.C.

Vice-Presidents J.E. Barrett M.B.E., J.A.H. Curry, C.B.E., J.S. Dunningham O.B.E., Sir Ronald Hampel, M.P. Hann, P. Jackson, C.B.E., Mrs A.S. Jones CBE, Professor B.G. Neal, T. D. Phillips, C.B.E, B.N.A. Weatherill, C.B.E., K.F. Weatherley.

Chairman P.G.H Brook

Committee P.G.H.Brook (Chairman), Ms S.J. Ambrose, N.A. Basing, The Lord O'Donnell GCB KCB CB, R.M. Gradon, T.H. Henman O.B.E., I.L. Hewitt, Mrs A.W.L. Innes, S.A. Jones L.V.O,  G.M. Newton, R.T. Stoakes, A.J.K. Tatum.

Trustees P R Hutchins, B.N.A. Weatherill C.B.E.


Membership consists of five categories (a) Full Members, (b) Life Members, (c) Honorary Members, (d) Temporary Members, (e) Junior Temporary Members. Members under headings (a), (b) and (c) are limited to 500 in number. Honorary Members include past Singles Champions, other eminent Lawn Tennis players, benefactors of the Club or The Championships, and other persons who have rendered special service to Lawn Tennis. Temporary Members are elected from year to year and generally are active players who make regular use of the facilities and play in matches during their period of Membership.


The Grounds are owned by the All England Lawn Tennis Ground plc and consist of 19 grass courts (including Centre Court and No.1 Court), eight American Clay courts and five indoor courts, two Greenset Velvelux and three Greenset Trophy. In Aorangi Park, there are 22 grass courts for practice before and during The Championships and two green acrylic courts. The total area, including the Club's car parks, covers over 42 acres.

Apart from the grass courts, the courts are used all year round by the Club members and LTA-sponsored players. The grass courts are in play from May to September (except Centre Court and other Show Courts which are used only for The Championships). The courts are lent to a number of clubs and organisations, mainly of a national character, for the staging of various events.

The area north of the Centre Court became known as Aorangi Park after the Club purchased the 11 acres from John Barker Ltd. of Kensington in 1967 and subsequently granted a lease to the New Zealand Sports and Social Club. Aorangi, meaning 'Cloud in the Sky', is the Maori name for Mount Cook.


The All England Croquet Club was founded in July 1868 but being without a ground, the Club Croquet Championships were held at Crystal Palace in 1869. Late that year the Worple Road ground was secured and formally opened in 1870.

When in 1877 the inaugural Lawn Tennis Championship was held, the title of the Club was amended to The All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club. Gradually, interest in croquet declined and by the end of 1882 participation had ceased and Croquet was removed from the Club's title. During 1896 the croquet players were invited to return. In 1899 the Club Championship was reinstated and Croquet was restored to the Club's title, However, the upsurge in interest did not last long and after the 1904 Championship the game faded again, although the Club retained the same title.

Croquet was not provided for when the Club moved to its present Church Road ground, and was first played on 7 September 1953 when a match was arranged with the Croquet Association to mark Coronation Year.

From 1957 to 2007, the croquet lawn (not full-size) was situated at the southern end of the Grounds, alongside the Church Road boundary fence. The Club Croquet Championship was reintroduced together with a Handicap singles event in 1960 and in recent years a golf croquet event was started. In the autumn of 2007 a new full-size lawn was created in the Southlands College ground, which was opened on 19 April 2008 by Professor Bernard Neal, President of the Croquet Association. Professor Neal was the Club champion 38 times between 1963 and 2005. David Godfree has acted as Hon. Secretary for the Croquet section since 1975.

In Remembrance

In the ground floor corridor of the Clubhouse is a plaque commemorating Club members who were killed serving in the two World Wars.


The present colours — dark green and purple — were introduced in 1909 following the discovery that the previous Club colours of blue, yellow, red and green were almost identical to those of the Royal Marines. The decision as to why dark green and purple were chosen is not stated in the Club's records.