Badcademics Association Member
August Moratorium: Lost Cause/States' Rights, Hitler/Nazi/Wehrmacht Apologia, and Confederate flag history
Badhistory is a place to facepalm and discuss the particularly dire sorts of history that we encounter on a day-to-day basis. Although we primarily focus on Reddit, history from anywhere is welcome whether it's from school, tv, books, real life conversations, movies, or anything else.
This means that we sometimes do serious discussions on trivial topics! If it's got badhistory in it, it's fair game. This includes (but is certainly not limited to) topics as diverse as 5 minute YouTube clips, Disney animated shows, and even the odd pornographic film. We are also aware that these things are fiction and are intended to entertain, but being entertainment doesn't give it a free pass on badhistory!
Rule 1: No voting in linked threads. Brigading may result in bans and deletions of linked threads. /r/badhistory is not your personal army, so don't come running for reinforcements when in a discussion on reddit. To help prevent brigading, links that don't use np (as in 'np.reddit.com') will be deleted by Auto-Moderator until they are fixed.
Rule 2: No current (post-Cold War) political badhistory posts, or comments. Discussion of politics within a historical context, and badhistory by current political figures are allowed. The discussion of modern politics, however, is not allowed.
Rule 2a: Badhistory comparing current political figures or events to the past are not allowed. Check /r/panichistory, /r/godwinslaw, /r/badpolitics or /r/conspiratard to see if your post should go there.
Rule 3: Blatant conspiracy theories should be posted to /r/topmindsofreddit. However, we do not wish to discourage the posting of bad history that is an underlying part of a conspiracy theory. Please use your best judgment and apply the "reasonable person" standard when unsure.
Rule 4: Please remain civil and show respect for the other people of /r/badhistory. Don't insult others or use racist or bigoted language. Use of derogatory slurs, accusations of mental illness or disability, etc., will lead to removal of the comment and a possibly a warning or ban if deemed appropriate. Wheaton's Law (aka don't be an ass) is the guiding principle behind this rule.
Rule 5: Please remember to include a description of why your submission is bad history. If no explanation is included with the post, the post will be removed until one is included. Explanations are necessary even if the bad history seems obvious. These are the minimum requirements for an acceptable R5:
- A quote from the person or group perpetrating the badhistory. No link dumping allowed.
- A quote from an appropriate source directly refuting the badhistory, or your own explanation of why the selected quote is badhistory. Simply leaving a link and saying "Here's the explanation" isn't enough. Quote the pertinent parts of the refutation in your post.
Sources for answers can come from a variety of places.
- Many common bad history tropes can be found in our Wiki.
- Also check the /r/AskHistorians FAQ for even more great answers.
- Wikipedia can be used for basic fact checking
- Another reddit comment (assuming that the reddit comment is a good one of course)
- Books you've read, as long as you name the specific book.
- Even documentaries that you've watched can be a good source, as long as you name the specific documentary.
Posts submitted without these bare minimum requirements will be removed until they're updated.
Badhistory Best Of
/r/BadHistory reviews/criticisms of movies, art, and other media
/u/NMW on second-option bias in history education.
The /r/BadSubHub IRC
(Follow the rules!)
/r/badhistory Inside Jokes (All praise the Volcano and Edward's time machine)
Cards Against History - The BadHistory CAH set