Home About Kuna Advertise Contact Us Kuna's Bureaus Services
Register Login
facebook Twitter Youtube rss
24 people killed in latest violence in Syria      Palestinian killed in Israeli air strike      Syria declares new government      Kuwaiti crude price down      Palestinians foil bid to limit number of refugees      Israel targeted "with hail of missiles" -- spokesman      Series of Israeli airstrikes wound 25 Palestinians -- sources      Palestinian rocket severely wounds Israeli in Al-Naqab
  Politics
Mood calls for change in UNSMIS mandate if activities would be "meaningful"
6/20/2012 10:23:00 AM | World News
تصغير الخطالشكل الأساسيتكبير الخط
Head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) General Robert Mood
Head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) General Robert Mood
UNITED NATIONS, June 20 (KUNA) -- Head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) General Robert Mood urged the Security Council members late Tuesday to change the Mission's mandate if they want its activities to be "meaningful," noting that is the reason behind his decision to halt its activities last week.
He told reporters following a closed-door briefing to the council on the mission's work and the daily risks it faces that "I halted (UNSMIS) operations because of the risk level, the violence, and because it is difficult to implement the mandated tasks in these circumstances." "That, in itself, is a message. In other words, we need to see a change if the activities of the mission in the current configuration and under the current mandate is going to be meaningful," he added.
Asked whether the mission should be enhanced by the council, he said "it is not for me to decide on what the options are" for the mission when its mandate expires (on July 20.) "That is for the council, supported by the UN Secretariat." He said he also told the council that the violence, including shelling, small arms fire, and other incidents, "are coming much closer and we have been targeted several times over the last few weeks." He insisted that the observers will patrol the Syrian streets again if the violence subsides, both the government and the opposition commit to their safety and security and to their freedom of movement, noting that the government has expressed that "very clearly in the last couple of days, but I have not seen the same clear statement from the opposition yet." Under Secretary-General for Peace-Keeping Operations Herve Ladsous, who also participated in the council's deliberations, told reporters that the meeting was not to discuss the extension of UNSMIS mandate. "It was just sharing of thoughts. We shall see in due course before July 20 (its expiration date) what the council decision is." He stressed that Joint Special Envoy for Syria Kofi Annan's six-point peace plan is the "only game in town." "It must be very clear that the six-point plan remains the reference for finding a solution to this dramatic syrian crisis," he said, adding that "for the time being, we have decided not to touch, not to modify, but rather to maintain the integrity of the mission and of its mandate." He noted, however, that a number of diplomatic initiatives are underway at the bilateral and multilateral levels, "so we have to think ahead, and to think about various options. I just gave the council the present state of our thoughts on the matter, but knowing that nothing has been chosen, that it will be the Secretary-General who will be making proposals to the council in due course for the council to consider." Council diplomats said privately that Ladsous suggested the creation of a UN political office to be based in Damascus or in the region and to expand the mission's number to at least 3,000 observers.
Council President Li Baodong of China told reporters that the council urged all parties in Syria to ensure safety of the mission and to provide it with favorable conditions to carry out its operations, and to implement Annan's peace plan in its entirety, "because there is no other choice," as well as UN relevant resolutions "immediately without conditions." On the joint US-Russian statement on Syria, Baodong said "we welcome this positive development. We think there is team work. Hopefully by working closely together, we can make progress and regain momentum. We should translate the words into action. We need cooperation and better coordination among the international community." French Ambassador Gerard Araud told reporters that the renewal of the mission's mandate on July 20 will depend on what is happening on the ground, the political discussions among the G20 in Mexico, and the recommendations of the Secretary-General.
Asked if there were a chance the council will take its decision before July 20, Araud only said that at the moment, the calendar was set to July 20.
Ban is scheduled to present to the council a number of recommendations on the mission's future before that deadline.(end) sj.wsa KUNA 201023 Jun 12NNNN
 Print
  Email
 Save
Share
Share

Most Read Most Emailed  
1.   Court rules "unconstitutional" the call for the 2012 elections, and restores previous assembly
2.   Kuwait declares three-day mourning for Saudi Crown Prince
3.   Kuwait cabinet launches probe cmte into dispute with Dow Chemical
4.   Kuwaiti Cabinet approve one month parliament session suspension
5.   White House consulting on "next steps" towards Syria
6.   Phone hacking row continues unabated
    Photo Gallery

Kuwait Stock Exchange

National Assembly passes a draft law that would toughen punishment for abuse or disrespect regarding The Almighty and the Prophet

Kuwaiti Charge D'affaires at the Kuwaiti Embassy in Thailand, Omar Al-Kanderi

Kuwait Stock Exchange

Kuwaiti Ambassador to Mexico Samih Jowhar Hayat

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

US President Barack Obama

Minister of Education and Minister of Higher Education Dr. Nayef Al-Hajraf

Rwanda keen to promote commercial cooperation with Kuwait

Minister of health affirms keenness on acquiring latest medical technology

HH Amir receives Bosnia''s Deputy Premier

KSE ends trading in mixed zones

Amir graces Teacher Day ceremony, honors devoted teachers

Kuwait Information Minister Sheikh Mohammad Al-Abdullah Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah

Kuwait Stock Exchange

Kuwait Stock Exchange

Information Minister Sheikh Mohammed Abdullah Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah

MP Al-Qallaf urges Inf. Min. to equally apply law to everyone

Kuwait information minister commits to justice

HH Amir to attend ceremony to honor teachers

Kuwaiti MP Hussain Al-Qallaf during Parliament session of the interpellation of the Information Minister

Kuwait's Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs' Undersecretary Adel Al-Falah

Kuwait's Consul General in Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh City Omar Suleiman Al-Qenai holds talks with Chairman of the People's Committee of the City Le Hoang Quan

Kuwait Stock Exchange
Publications

WEATHER
PRAYER
CURRENCIES
KUWAIT AIRPORT
    Calendar
About KUNA KUNA SERVICES USEFUL LINKS KUNA ARCHIVE KUNA PUBLICATIONS
Home
About Kuna
Advertise
Contact Us
Kuna's Bureaus
Services
Read The Whole Newscast
Pictures (during the week)
FTP Service
KUNA training center
KUNA Reader
SMS Services
الكويت فى ذاكرة الأيام
Job Application
Careers
Arab News Agencies
International News Agencies
Governmental Institutes
Banks in Kuwait
News Paper
Local Companies
other useful links
Prayer Times
News Archive
Other News Services
Today In Kuwait's History
Events
Training Sessions
Videos
All KUNA right are reserved © 2012. This site is designed and published by IDS