Noveske Rifleworks

Go Back   M4Carbine.net Forums > AR/M4 > Custom Build Forum

Custom Build Forum Show off pictures and specifications of your latest project

Old 11-29-09, 20:57
Christian R. Offline

Mk18 MOD1 Fighting Gun Build

This is a repost of my thread from another forum, but I think it's pertinent here as well.

I'm a big fan of the LaRue Tactical rails. They are about as close to perfect as you can get.

But, when I saw the Crane-built Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II equipped 10.5in guns, I had to build myself an upper.

Now, I figured rather than building a hobby gun, I might as well make this a top-quality fighting gun that I can use for work and that would make it through a 3-day carbine course without issues.

I started this project when parts were tough to come by, and in some cases I had to wait months to get what I wanted. But, waiting proved to be worthwhile, as I was able to acquire the components I originally spec'd for this project. They are as follows.

Upper:

-Anchor Harvey forged flat top upper. I don't know the exact manufacturer.
-Sabre Defense 10.5 inch 1/7 chrome lined barrel with extended (M4) feed ramps
-LaRue Tactical .750 low profile gas block
-Colt carbine-length gas tube
-KAC Flash Hider / QDSS supressor mount
-Daniel Defense MK18 RIS II free float rail
-Lewis Aerospace M16 Bolt Carrier Group with Crane O-ring, black insert, and extra power exractor spring
-Standard charging handle

Lower:
-Firebird Precision lower
-CMT lower parts kit
-BCM 6-position receiver extension
-LMT SOPMOD stock
-Magpul MIAD grip
-Magpul aluminum enhanced trigger guard
-H3 buffer
-Chrome Silicon buffer spring
-Daniel Defense ambidextrous Burnsed Loop sling mount

Optics / MISC
-EOtech SU-231 PEQ (553)
-Troy Industries front/rear BUIS, Tan
-prototype gangster grip
-ACE rail-mounted fixed sling loop
-Blue Force Gear VCAS

Building the gun went smoothly, and the DD rail was very easy to install. Everything went together as planned, and I was off to the Scottsdale Gun Club for a live fire function check. Everything worked like a charm.

I've since then put about 2,900 rounds through the upper. While on a trip down to Yuma Proving Grounds, some Marines and I put about 1,600 of those through this upper on full auto while mounted to an M16A1 lower, as pictured here:

There have been other lowers that hosted this upper, but the majority of the rounds fired with this upper have been on the Firebird lower. A few words on this piece; I honestly hadn't heard of Firebird Precision until browsing around one day at the Scottsdale Gun Club. In need of a quality lower to start this SBR project, I checked them out. The machining, anodizing, and engraving are all top quality. Some extra features, once of which that I won't likely utilize, are the set screws for reciever tensioning and trigger pre-travel. I set the trigger screw to what seemed like most comparable to my LMT lower and applied red Loctite 262. I haven't noticed any shift after thousands of rounds fired. If you are looking for a stripped lower, I recommend giving them a look. It is a mil-spec lower and works like a charm with the CMT parts kit and other components.

The only issues I've had (some double feeds) were with the use of some HK "high reliability" ( Bullshit ) mags in Yuma. When using P-mags, the function has been perfect. I keep the gun lubed with Mil-Comm MC3000 semifluid. During the inital 100-200 rounds, I kept the gun lubed with extraneous amounts of Break Free CLP, and cleaned it after 100, then 200 rounds. After this, I've used the MC3000. I lube the gun quite generously, but don't re-apply often as the lube doesn't burn off except on the tail of the bolt.

The gun balances very well, and handles great on full auto. There is little difference in handling compared to a 14.5 inch M4, but it seems to me the ROF is a bit higher due to the larger gas port in the 10.5 inch barrel.

Ammo used thus far:
PMC Bronze 55gr FMJ
Wolf 55gr FMJ
PRVI 55gr FMJ
BH 55gr FMJ
LC 62gr M855 green tip
Hirtenberger 62gr M855 green tip
Wolf 62gr FMJ
PRVI 75gr OTM
BH 77gr Moly-coated OTM
Mk262 MOD 0 & MOD 1
Old 11-30-09, 10:07
eternal24k Offline

Very nice, I have a Mk18 RIS than I am doing a build with, stuck on barrel decisions right now, but I hope it comes out as nice as yours.
Old 11-30-09, 13:04
SWATcop556 Offline

Nice looking SBR. Congrats.

I personally think NFA is more addicting than BRD, but that's just me.
Old 11-30-09, 18:22
VA_Dinger Offline
SENIOR STAFF

Christian R., awesome build.

I've always been a fan of the "Gangsta Grip" vert grip/light mount.
500 North Reilly Road Suite 114
Fayetteville, NC 28303
www.GreyGroupTraining.com
Cell: 757-435-3264
training@greygrouptraining.com
Old 11-30-09, 20:17
HK51Fan Offline

Can you tell me more about the "gangsta grip"? I currently use an ARMS VFG that resembles the stock AR pistol grip and I really like it. I think I might like this better....
Old 11-30-09, 21:54
Christian R. Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK51Fan View Post
Can you tell me more about the "gangsta grip"? I currently use an ARMS VFG that resembles the stock AR pistol grip and I really like it. I think I might like this better....
"Gangster" like, Tommy Gun, not sideways Glock shooting.

Anyhow, I got the idea from some gunfighters that have been running them for years now, and what you see here is a prototype of the latest iteration of grips that I've made on my own.

It's a mount milled from 6061-T6 to fit a 6P and LaRue mount. The one pictured above was made on an old school mill, but the rest will be CNC'd. My goal is to have a few by SHOT for guys like VA_Dinger and a few others that have expressed interest in my grips in the past. Full-production will begin after design finalization from end-user feedback.

Like I said, I did not come up with this idea, but the folks who have the originals from many years ago had them custom made and they were not available unless you were in that type of Unit.

I'm going to make these for anybody that fights with a gun.

I've been using this type of grip coming up on 3 years now, and although I've tried other methods (different VFGs, no VFG at all, etc) I still find this the most useful. I don't fight with a gun for a living, but these were developed by folks that do, and I can appreciate the design. It really offers some benefits over other grip / light setups.

The execution of design will evolve after some feedback from end users, but the concept will remain the same.

Stay tuned...