Xecuter NAND-X The most highly advanced Xbox 360 NAND & JTAG kit on the market.

Old 10th July 10   #1
Hi,

This tutorial is for those people who:

1. Have messed up DB1F1 and its alternate points OR just don't want to solder to them thinking that it might damage their Xbox .

2. Are able to run freeboot but are also constantly plagued with the bootup error E79, especially on Zephyrs and some Falcons.

3. Have syncing problem with their controllers and weird functioning of the ROL module.

4. Want to connect their Xbox to their TVs via HDMI and not worry about any errors caused by it during bootup.

5. Just want to have a more stable Jtagged Xbox360 as compared to an Xbox360 with the default JTAG wiring.

6. Just want to experiment what happens if they follow this tutorial .

7. Just want to read this tutorial and tell if there is any mistake in it .

====================

Remember, this tutorial is for all Xbox360 motherboard revisions except Xenon(and Xbox360 Slim).

====================

Now,

What happens if this tutorial is followed?

You again end up with a Jtagged Xbox360 but with different JTAG wiring and probably a more reliable Xbox360 with less boot failures.

What this tutorial actually describes is the procedure on how to change the points to which the the JTAG Wires(Red and Yellow) connect to, and then procedure by which we will edit XeLL/XBR/freeboot to be able to coop with the changing of these points.

====================

Long Tutorial?

Now, it might seem like this tutorial is very long, but it isn't. It seems to be long because I have divided this tutorial into many small steps and have also added many pictures for easier understanding. Otherwise, this also could be a very short tutorial.

SIDE NOTE: I would have added more pictures, but the forum doesn't allow to post more that 40 images in a single post.
====================

Preface:

This tutorial picks up from the JTAG Install part of the original Nand-X installation instructions present HERE. First you have to follow the tutorial upto the end of the installation of the NAND part of the Nand-X. Then continue onto the JTAG install from below here.

As for those who already have installed the Nand-X like it should be in its default condition, this tutorial is no different for you. The only difference being that you will have to delsolder the points(The points the Red are Yellow wires are soldered to i.e. DB1F1 and ROL respectively) you have already soldered to.

As the preface has been covered now, let's move onto the actual tutorial:

Requirements:
===========

Hardware:

- A complete Nand-X package.

- A 15W to 40W Soldering Iron. 15W is recommended, although it is safe to use one upto 40W.

- Rosin Core/Flux Core Solder. Preferably 60/40 Rosin-Core Solder with 0.32" Diameter.

- Torx 8 and Torx 10 screwdrivers

- A Scissor

Software:

- Your original 7371 NAND dump. (Make sure that the original dump had been made when the Xbox was set to use the AV or VGA cable, not HDMI)

NOTE: If you haven't updated to 7371 till now, update to 7371 before continuing on with this tutorial. You can get the 7371 update from here: 2.0.7371.0.rar

- NandPro 2.0d: http://www.mediafire.com/?ynzyydmmmzc

- Update My SMC: http://www.mediafire.com/?j2mji1t2mdy

- XBReboot for your console

- Easy XBR to freeboot: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F8M68FIE

- DashLaunch v1.0 patches

====================

Actual Work:
============

Hardware:

1. First we will have to take the motherboard out of the metal case. Refer to this tutorial if want to know how to do it: How to Disassemble the Xbox 360

2a. Now, after the installation of the JTAG QSB, you will have to cut the yellow wire, so that we can solder it to the alternate point on the underside of the motherboard. Use a scissor and cut the wire approximately from the point as seen in this picture:

2b. Look at the below picture to understand where you have to solder the yellow wire.

First we will solder the diode end of the wire to Q2N1:

Then we will solder the other end to this point:

And a complete picture of the whole wire soldered to both points:

Although it shouldn't be very loose by itself, but you should tape it to the motherboard with two small pieces insulation tape Or you can also glue it down to the motherboard. This is optional but you can do it if you want to.

3a. Now what we have to do is to connect the diode end of the Red wire to this point:

This can be done in three ways:

a. You can solder some extra wire onto the diode side of the Red wire and insert it into the connector DVD power connector itself.

b. You can scrape some of the protective covering off the wire you want to connect to, so that you don't need to attach any extra wire to the diode side of the Red wire and can solder the it directly to the wire.

c. Cut the Red Wire and solder it on the reverse side of the motherboard:

I personally have used the option "b", since I think that a soldered wire would be much better as compared to a wire directly inserted into the power connector. But in the end, its your own choice.

This is how I did it:

And this is all the soldering we have to do here. Wasn't as hard as the DB1F1, right?

NOTE: For people who aren't using the Jtag QSB, will still have to install the Jumper wire between J2D2.4 and J2D2.7

Software:

Remember, you don't have to follow this part of the tutorial per word(like naming the folders etc), but I have tried to write this part so that everyone, even someone like me who is very new to Jtagging can easily follow it.

Before we continue on with this part, remember to unhide the file extensions of different files on your PC so that there is no complication with name of the files including their extensions. Refer here if you want to know ho to do it: http://www.fileinfo.com/help/windows...xtensions.html

Now, presuming you already have the five things required for this part...

1. Make a new folder into a non-Windows hard disk partition on your PC and rename it to "Project SMC" . I personally have used "E:\" on my PC.

2. Extract "NandPro 2.0d", "Update My SMC", XBR for you console and "XBR to freeboot" each into separate folders inside the "Project SMC" folder.

3. Copy the XBR for your console, which is a *.bin file, into the Nandpro folder. I have a 16 MB Jasper myself, so I have copied the XBR for Jasper to the NandPro folder as you can see below.

4. Copy your original NAND dump into the NandPro folder. In my case, the original NAND is named "nand1.bin"

5. Rename the XBR for your console to "XBR.bin" and your original NAND dump to "orig.bin".

6a. For WinXP users: Click Start-->Select Run-->Type in "CMD"-->Press Enter. You will then be opened a Command Prompt Window.

6b. For Win7/Vista users: Click Start-->Select All Programs-->Accessories--> Right-click Command Prompt--> Select Run as Administrator. You will then be opened a Command Prompt Window in Administrator Mode.

7a. Type "E:"
7b. Type "cd Project SMC"
7c. Type "cd NandPro"

NOTE: Once you open the Command Prompt and have got to the NandPro folder, don't close it after each command you type into it. If something else has to done according to the steps, just minimize the window, and then maximize it when you have to use it.

8. Now according to your NAND size, type in the following commands:

nandpro orig.bin: -r16/256/512 rawkv.bin 1 1 (edit 16/256/512 as appropriate)
nandpro
orig.bin: -r16 rawconfig.bin 3de 2
nandpro orig.bin: -r256/-r512 rawconfig.bin ef7 2(For big block jaspers. Type 256 or 512 according to your NAND size)

In my case, I typed the following:

9. Now we need to inject the "rawkv.bin" and "rawconfig.bin into "XBR.bin". Now according to your NAND size, type in the following commands:

nandpro xbr.bin: -w16/256/512 rawkv.bin 1 1 (edit 16/256/512 as appropriate)
nandpro xbr.bin: -w16 rawconfig.bin 3de 2
nandpro xbr.bin: -w256/-r512 rawconfig.bin ef7 2 (For big block jaspers. Type 256 or 512 according to your NAND size)

In my case, I typed the following:

10. Now rename the injected "XBR.bin" to "XBR_orig.bin", so that it doesn't get mixed up.

11. Now copy the "XBR_orig.bin" from the NandPro folder to the "Update My SMC" folder.

12. Copy the files present in the "runtime" folder within the Update My SMC to "system32" folder of the Windows directory of your PC. For 64-bit users, you will also have to copy these files to "SysWOW64" folder within the Windows directory.

13. Now run the "DumpSMC-fromANY_image.exe" file from the Update My SMC folder.

14. Enter "XBR_orig.bin" as the name of the bin file.

15. Select the Motherboard you have from the list.

In my case I have selected "3" since I have a 16MB Jasper.

16. It will then confirm whether the information entered is correct. Check it, then type in "Y" and press enter.

17. A new bin file with the name of your motherboard will then be made, and will then be present in the Update My SMC folder. In my case, it's a "jasper.bin" file.

18. Now run the "update-my-SMC!.exe" file in administrator mode. It will show you some information regarding XeLL. Just press a key to make it disappear.

19. Now enter "XBR_orig.bin" as the name of the bin file and press enter.

20. Select the Motherboard you have from the list. In my case I have selected "3" since I have a 16MB Jasper.

21. Select option "4" from the list of SMC patches.

22. Select option "2" for TMS i.e. AUD_CLAMP and select option "4" for TDI i.e. OPEN_TRAY.

23. It should then confirm your selection. It should show: TMS=AUD_CLAMP and TDI=OPEN_TRAY. Type "Y" and press Enter. It should then tell you that it has successfully updated the SMC. Then press any key to close the window.

24. Now rename the "XBR_orig.bin" to "XBR_smc.bin", so that it doesn't get mixed up.

25. Now copy the "XBR_smc.bin" to the NandPro folder.

26. Now connect the Nand-X to your console and your PC via USB. Remember to have the PSU connected to the Xbox and on standby(Orange light) when you do this. Also remember to plug in the ROL. Then open back the Command Prompt window, and type in the following command to write XBR to your NAND:

nandpro usb: -w16/256/512 XBR_smc.bin (edit 16/256/512 depending on your NAND size)

In my case, I wrote the following:

27. After the writing process has been completed, disconnect the Nand-X from the USB. Move the JTAG switch on the JTAG QSB to the center and do a power cycle.

28. Now turn on your Xbox360. If everything went right, your console should bootup and start with welcome screen. This means that everything is fine and you can continue forward with installing freeboot with the modified SMC.

29. Now turn your Xbox360 off and turn it back on with the Eject button. XeLL will boot, and decrypt your CPU Key. Keep a camera handy and take a picture of the TV screen when you see a similar screen like below:

Fuseset 3 & 5, and fuseset 4 & 6 make up your CPU Key. Combine them and write it down somewhere. Also create a text file with your CPU Key in it, so that you can easily copy it from there when needed.

Also, just to make sure you got the correct CPU Key, add your CPU Key in the 360 Flash Dump Tool 0.94 and open your original NAND in it. If it decrypts your KeyVault and shows you your DVD Key, Region etc, then you have the correct CPU Key. If it doesn't, then you probably made a mistake while writing the CPU Key down from XeLL.

Tip

Tip

XeLL doesn't boot...Hmm...

Here's what you should do first:

1. Make sure that DVD drive is connected to the Xbox360. Both the data cable and the power cable should be connected.
2. If you have the JTAG QSB on the setting in which it uses the 330/470 resistor, move it to the middle so that no resistor is selected.

Now, try to boot XeLL through the eject button.

If it still doesn't boot, try this:

1. Copy XeLL for your motherboard from Jtag tool "Xell Bins" folder and place it in the UpdateMySmc folder.

2. Extract the SMC file from the copied XeLL file using "DumpSMC-fromANY_image.exe"

3. Run XeLL file through "Update-My-SMC!.exe" and modify the SMC points.

4. Copy XeLL file back to Jtag tool xbins and install XeLL using Jtag Tool and the obtain CPU key.

** Remember at all times to name your XeLL or SMC files relative to the motherboard type name as shown in Jtag Tool for it to install or use the right files for your motherboard (i.e. xenon, zephyr, falcon, jasper).

30. Now do a power cycle and then connect the Nand-X to your PC via the USB cable.

31. Dump your working XBR NAND to your computer by using the following command:

nandpro usb: -r16/256/512 XBR_fb.bin (edit 16/256/512 depending on your NAND size)

After the dumping has been completed, you will have a new bin file in the NandPro folder named "XBR_fb.bin". Now we will use this image to make the freeboot image for your console.

32. Copy the "XBR_fb.bin" to the "Project SMC" folder and rename it to "flashdmp.bin".

33. Now open the "Easy XBR to freeboot" folder and run "Easy XBR3 To FreeBoot By JJMPSP.exe".

34. On top, select "Browse and Copy flashdmp.bin" and navigate to the "Project SMC" folder and select it. The program will then tell you that it has successfully copied the file.

35. Enter your CPU Key in the program, then click on the "extract" option and then the "copy" option. The program will open a series of windows after you select the "copy" option. Make sure all of them say "Valid".

36. Then select your motherboard type and the CB version of your original NAND dump. You can find the CB version by opening your original NAND dump in 360 Flash Dump Tool.

In my case, I have a Jasper motherboard and have the CB 6723:

Tip

Tip

If you're one of those people whose CB is isn't shown in XBR to freeboot Or having any random problem using XBR to freeboot, then follow this:

1. Install a new copy of Jtag Tool 1.74.

2. Copy the extracted SMC file obtained in step 17 (e.g. jasper.bin) into the SMC folder within the Jtag tool folder.

3. Run Jtag Tool and enter your CPU key in it and compile a freeboot image.

4. Install the compiled freeboot image either using Jtag Tool or Nandpro.

Now you should have freeboot with 9199 dash installed.

(Thanks to manwithoutname for finding this method)

37. Then click the "Copy CB0 files" option. The program will then again open a series of windows after you click this option. Make sure all of them say "Valid".

NOTE: Now is the time to select the patches you want to be integrated into the freeBOOT image that you are going to create. I recommend using DashLaunch v1.0 patches, atleast while making this image. Afterwards, you can update to DashLaunch v2 patches as it does not require you to make a new freeBOOT image. Therefore, before moving to step 38, replace the patches present in the "bin" folder in the Easy XBR to freeboot folder with DashLaunch v1.0 patches. Now move to step 38.

38. Now click the "Create Freeboot Nand" option. It should open a Command Prompt window.

39. Now minimize the program. Open the "bin" folder present within the "Easy XBR to freeboot" folder. There should be a file named "image.bin" present within it:

40. Copy the "image.bin" file to the NandPro folder and rename it to "fb_smc.bin"

Just to be sure that the image is fine, open it in 360 Flash Dump Tool and enter your CPU Key in it. If 360 Flash Dump Tool decrypts the KeyVault information and the 7BL[CG] says 9199, then the image is good.

41.Now open back the Command Prompt window and type in the following command:

nandpro usb: -w16/256/512 fb_smc.bin (edit 16/256/512 depending on your NAND size)

42. After the image has been written, disconnect the Nand-X from the USB and do a power cycle.

43. Now turn your Xbox360 on. You should be greeted with the Welcome Screen.

======================

All done...You will now have freeboot 0.032 with kernel 9199 installed on your Xbox360.

Now what you do with it is up to you.

I recommend creating a backup of this working freeboot.

Also, if you want the Avatars to appear on NXE, then apply this UPDATE. This is a 9199 update. Don't worry, when you install it to your Xbox, only the Avatar data will be copied. Nothing else will change.

======================

Now, there are two things that might happen after you apply the SMC patch and change the JTAG wiring. Since we are using AUD_CLAMP, you might have problems while using Optical Audio because AUD_CLAMP is related to it. But the good thing is that this problem is usually non-consistent and Optical Audio should work fine most of the time.

Also, it might happen that when you boot up your console, the DVD Tray will eject by itself because of the Jtag circuit using the current from OPEN_TRAY command to power itself. No need to worry about it. Just close the tray when you get to NXE. Believe me, the DVD Tray ejecting by itself sometimes is nothing as compared to bear with those E79 errors.

Plus, with the SMC patch you will be able to use HDMI without any problem and don't have to worry about the controllers not syncing.

As a side note, don't turn off the Xbox360 while charging your controller using the Plug & Play Kit because the Xbox360 will try to stay in a semi-on condition, but due to the JTAG, it will restart instead. Therefore, after Jtagging your console, if you want to change the battery of your controller, do it while you're using the Xbox360 or leave the Xbox360 turned on. Simple as that.

Also, if it so happens that Xbox1 games don't work on your console even after using the correct DashLaunch patches and hacked Xbox1 emulator files, then it means that you used an original NAND dump containing an older kernel than 7371, Therefore, if you want to play Xbox1 games, you'll have to redo the software section of this tutorial, but this time, by using the 7371 NAND dump instead of the one that contains the older kernel. Then, you'll be able to play Xbox1 games without any problem.

======================

I have made this tutorial in the most simplest way I could and tried to not make any mistake while writing this tutorial. Although I have checked it to see that there is not any major mistake in it, there can still be some minor mistakes in it.

Also, just to take this out of the way, I have made this tutorial so that it is applicable in the safest way possible. But still, if you still manage to damage your console(which probably can't happen), I cannot be held responsible for it.

So, this is all there is to it.

Do inform me if there is any mistake present in the tutorial and do also post your feedback.

And feel free to ask any questions...

Have Fun....

=================

Credits and Thanks:

To,

Team Xecuter for Nand-X, Tiros for NandPro, Blackaddr for Xbox 360 SMC I/O Config Utility, Nknave/krizalid for Update My Smc! V0.2, TeamXBR for XBReboot, Ikari for freeboot and JJMPSP for
Easy XBR3 To FreeBoot and Everyone I have forgotten to mention...

=================

Tutorial written by M AzeeM K.
>> Busy due to College studies. I may be around sometimes, but don't count on it! <<
=========
Having problems with JTAG? E79? Messed up DB1F1? If so, this tutorial is for you => Alternate JTAG SMC/Points Tutorial
=======
Want to run FSD2 or XM360 through NXE? Have a look here =>Run FSD2 and XM360 from NXE
=====
Don't like having a 20GB HDD on your Jtag? Don't like to keep an external HDD hooked up all the time to your Jtag? Then >THIS< is for you
==

M AzeeM K - XBOX 360 Setup
Model: Xbox 360 Premium
DVD: Samsung, Liteon
Motherboard: Xenon, Jasper
SATA Chipset: AMD

Click here to enter your Xbox setup details

Last edited by M AzeeM K; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:15. Reason: Edited Tutorial...
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to M AzeeM K For This Useful Post:
biggnutz (22nd July 10), biggs_thg (29th August 10), big_ted (26th July 10), flashing360 (11th July 10), fOmey (25th August 10), Hackerjac (11th July 10), jfelding (12th July 10), Johnny2good (26th September 10), loco2 (2 Weeks Ago), MREVOVIII (12th July 10), Nyssa (5th November 10), pipadee2010 (4 Weeks Ago), Profound_Darkness (3rd October 10), rigger66 (17th September 10), rocket8080 (28th August 10), smittyas00 (25th July 10), steven007 (11th July 10), Ubergeek (3 Weeks Ago), Xmods (10th July 10)
Old 10th July 10   #2
Wow very very excellent tutorial

you my friend have come a very long ways in a very short period of time
Please post pics of installs for proper diagnosis

www.dports.me

Profesional Console & Drive Repairs

Xmods - XBOX 360 Setup
Model: Xbox 360 Arcade, Xbox 360 Premium, Xbox 360 Elite
DVD: Hitachi, Samsung, Benq, Liteon
Motherboard: Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus, Jasper
SATA Chipset: via6421 is their anything else

Last edited by Xmods; 10th July 10 at 22:11.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xmods For This Useful Post:
johnsondabeaut (4 Weeks Ago), M AzeeM K (10th July 10)
Old 10th July 10   #3
Status: Offline Cool Re: Alternate JTAG SMC/Points Tutorial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmods View Post
Wow very very excellent tutorial

you my friend have come a very long ways in a very short period of time
Thanks for the kind words...

And, thanks again for the Sticky...
>> Busy due to College studies. I may be around sometimes, but don't count on it! <<
=========
Having problems with JTAG? E79? Messed up DB1F1? If so, this tutorial is for you => Alternate JTAG SMC/Points Tutorial
=======
Want to run FSD2 or XM360 through NXE? Have a look here =>Run FSD2 and XM360 from NXE
=====
Don't like having a 20GB HDD on your Jtag? Don't like to keep an external HDD hooked up all the time to your Jtag? Then >THIS< is for you
==

The Following User Says Thank You to M AzeeM K For This Useful Post:
MasterCyc (29th July 10)
Old 10th July 10   #4
well deserved my friend well deserved
Please post pics of installs for proper diagnosis

www.dports.me

Profesional Console & Drive Repairs

Xmods - XBOX 360 Setup
DVD: Hitachi, Samsung, Benq, Liteon
Motherboard: Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus, Jasper
SATA Chipset: via6421 is their anything else

Old 11th July 10   #5
exactly as we discussed my friend. amazing tut, and works perfect. ill be doing this from now on instead of that horrible db1f1. thanks again.
COME ON GUYS, PLEASE DO A SEARCH BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN ANSWERED PLENTY OF TIMES AND 99% OF THE TIME ITS HUMAN ERROR SO DONT BLAME THE PRODUCTS.

DO NOT PM ME ABOUT ANY FORM OF PRODUCT SUPPORT. USE THE FORUM AS THATS WHAT ITS THERE FOR. IF YOU PM ME YOU WILL BE IGNORED.

REMEMBER TO SAY THANKS OR GIVE + REP IF WE HELP YOU AT ALL. ITS NOT A LOT TO ASK.

www.360repairsstoke.co.uk
flashing360 - XBOX 360 Setup
DVD: Hitachi, Benq, Liteon
Motherboard: Xenon, Falcon, Jasper
SATA Chipset: via 6421

The Following User Says Thank You to flashing360 For This Useful Post:
M AzeeM K (11th July 10)
Old 11th July 10   #6
Status: Offline Cool Re: Alternate JTAG SMC/Points Tutorial
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashing360 View Post
exactly as we discussed my friend. amazing tut, and works perfect. ill be doing this from now on instead of that horrible db1f1. thanks again.
No Problem and Thanks for the Feedback. I made this tutorial bearing in mind the problems related to soldering to DB1F1 and its alternate points and also the problems caused by it even after the Jtagging has been done.

Just a question though, did you get the Falcon to get working with this ?
=========
=======
=====
==

Last edited by M AzeeM K; 11th July 10 at 15:24.
The Following User Says Thank You to M AzeeM K For This Useful Post:
flashing360 (11th July 10)
Old 11th July 10   #7
What points would I use for the red wire in regards to option 'c'?

EDIT: Just for curiosity sake. If I go with option 'b', does my disc drive need to be plugged in? Or can I just connect the power cable to the motherboard and leave the disc drive out? (wanted to mount a fan in the disc drive area).
HPJack - XBOX 360 Setup
Model: Xbox 360 Elite
DVD: Benq
Motherboard: Zephyr
SATA Chipset: n/a

Last edited by HPJack; 11th July 10 at 16:05.
Old 11th July 10   #8
in the small pic the point circled in pink thats it.

and yes you can leave the drive out and just plug the dvd wire in. thats what ive done on one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPEN_TRAY.jpg (95.2 KB, 64 views)
COME ON GUYS, PLEASE DO A SEARCH BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS THAT HAVE BEEN ANSWERED PLENTY OF TIMES AND 99% OF THE TIME ITS HUMAN ERROR SO DONT BLAME THE PRODUCTS.

DO NOT PM ME ABOUT ANY FORM OF PRODUCT SUPPORT. USE THE FORUM AS THATS WHAT ITS THERE FOR. IF YOU PM ME YOU WILL BE IGNORED.

REMEMBER TO SAY THANKS OR GIVE + REP IF WE HELP YOU AT ALL. ITS NOT A LOT TO ASK.

Last edited by flashing360; 11th July 10 at 16:09.
The Following User Says Thank You to flashing360 For This Useful Post:
HPJack (11th July 10)
Old 11th July 10   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashing360 View Post
in the small pic the point circled in pink thats it.

and yes you can leave the drive out and just plug the dvd wire in. thats what ive done on one.
Thanks, flashing360. I know of that circled point shown in the picture. I was inquiring about where the other end would go but thanks for confirming that the dvd drive doesn't need to be present. I will be using that method .
HPJack - XBOX 360 Setup
Model: Xbox 360 Elite
DVD: Benq
Motherboard: Zephyr
SATA Chipset: n/a

Old 11th July 10   #10
the other end goes in the same hole it always does but on the reverse side of it.