Getting Mac OS X to Boot on the 900HA w/Chameleon DSDT Override
Forum » Support / Post-Installation » Getting Mac OS X to Boot on the 900HA w/Chameleon DSDT Override
started by: mcsenerdmcsenerd
on: 1226880983|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover
number of posts: 11
rss icon RSS: new posts
summary:
A quasi-How-To guide to bootinig OS X on an Asus Eee PC 900HA without a modified BIOS...
Getting Mac OS X to Boot on the 900HA w/Chameleon DSDT Override
mcsenerdmcsenerd 1226880983|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

The Crudiest How To guide for installing OS X onto the 900HA without BIOS flashing that I could throw together…

Purpose: To show that it is possible to successfully boot OS X on an Asus Eee PC 900HA without resorting to modified BIOS flashes…

Warning and Foreword: This guide is by no means constructed by anyone or anything resembling an "expert" or overly knowledgeable person. There are likely other…even better…ways to accomplish the tasks described here. The information contained herein could result in unforeseen damage to your computer and/or personal information. If you are at all squeamish, uneasy, or undecided about seriously wacking around with the innards of your Eee PC's workings…then please step away from the keyboard and pretend you never entertained the idea of doing these things… This guide and all the tools used in it are the work of other far more important and learned folks than myself and all credit should go toward the hard work exhibited by folks like Toonces, Fassl, Mackerintel, and others that gave their best to produce tools that make all of this possible.

Tools you will need:

A successfully booting OS X86 install disc

A live CD or other means of booting Linux on your 900HA

A working Hex Editor and knowledge to use it

OS X w/Chameleon installed on your Eee's hard drive

Mackerintel's Chameleon w/DSDT Override files

Fassl's DSDT Patcher files

My initial goal was to create a 900HA that triple booted Windows XP, Ubuntu EEE, and OS X, and as soon as my Eee arrived…I set out to make it happen. I've got all three booting today and here's how I did it…

1.) I wiped the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP 3 onto a 40GB NTFS partition.

2.) I then booted my Eee PC with a USB stick of Ubuntu Eee in the "try first" mode.

3.) I used GParted to create the following partitions (these are just my preferences of course…modify them as you see fit…)
Partition 2 = 60GB NTFS (Primary) …to become my Mac OS X install volume
Partition 3 = 30GB EXT3 (Primary) …to become Ubuntu / mount
Logical Partitions:
Partition 4 = 4GB Linux Swap
Partition 5 = ~15GB NTFS …to become a shared HFS+ drive later…

4.) I installed iDENEB v1.3 10.5.5 by following along one of the many guides written for the 901 and 1000H Eee PC Versions floating around on the web…I installed onto the NTFS partition that I had created earlier in GParted…The only caveat (and an important one!) is that I formatted my Mac OS X install volume as unjournaled HFS+! This is necessary to move files back and forth between OS X and Linux as far as I know…

5.) At this point Mac OS X would not boot successfully upon restarting…so I booted once again into my linux live USB Stick…I mounted my Mac OS X install volume under Ubuntu and then through terminal I created a DSDT_Files folder on the root of my OS X install volume and I copied all of my previously downloaded files (the DSDT Patcher files and the Chameleon with DSDT Override) to it.

6.) Then I rebooted back into my Mac OS X install disc and opened the Terminal. I attempted to execute Fassl's patcher without modification by directly executing the patcher…but it failed to extract the DSDT from my BIOS. So…I had to manually extract the DSDT by performing the following command:

ioreg -lw0 | grep DSDT > Desktop/ioregdump.txt

6b.) Rebooted…back into the live Ubuntu stick…from there I once again mounted the OS X volume and opened the ioregdump.txt in a Hex editor. I searched the file for the DSDT table and selected and copied all of the hex values from this table (and only the hex values!) to a new file and saved it as dsdt.dat in the same folder that my DSDT patcher was in on my OS X volume.

6c.) Rebooted back into the OS X install DVD…open terminal once again and this time performed the following steps:

cd /PATH/TO/DSDT\ Patcher
./Tools/iasl -d dsdt.dat

Then…
./DSDT\ Patcher dsdt.dsl

This built my dsdt.aml file to use with Chameleon w/DSDT Override.

7. I then copied this dsdt.aml file to the root of my Mac OS X install volume. I also copied the boot file located in the modified Chameleon install that was previously downloaded and overwrote the existing Chameleon boot file that was located there…

8. I then performed my install of Ubuntu EEE on my 900HA on my partition 3. When completed…I entered into my new install of Ubuntu and made the following addition to my menu.lst file in my /boot/grub directory.

# This entry added to boot Mac OS X on /dev/sda1
title        Mac OS X (10.5.5 iDENEB)
root        (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader    +1

9.) Rebooted…from my GRUB menu…I selected my Mac OS X install option…and voila! Welcome to Mac OS X on the 900HA!

Possible side effects:

1. I have not been able to get power management properly working in Mac OS X after performing this mod. I don't know if it is related to this process or not…but I certainly believe it could be attributable to it.
  2. The computer will not fully power off by itself. It will reboot…but not shut off…this is perhaps related to the power management issue…I'm too stoopid to know :)
  3. Also…on a warm reboot…the internal Keyboard and Mouse do not function. I can plug in a USB Keyboard and Mouse and get them working…but only a cold boot into OS X will allow the built-in keyboard and mouse to function. It's strange…and my pea-brain will not provide me enough oomph to figure out why this is happening… FWIW I did read a post on the InsanelyMac forum that echoed this flaky behavior…so maybe I'm not alone…(This behavior was resolved by installing the OpenHaltRestart.kext…but the no-shutdown issue remains…)
  4. Of course…just like everyone else…I have been unable to get Ethernet, Built-in Wifi, or normal audio working on the 900HA yet. (I do have sound output working by using Audieee…but everyone here is surely aware of the limitations behind using this method…).
last edited on 1227009519|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover by mcsenerd + show more
Re: Getting Mac OS X to Boot on the 900HA w/Chameleon DSDT Override
mapin0518mapin0518 1226886014|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

this is a great first step ! Hopefully this procedure will improve with time…. my 900HA is on its way !!

joebloughjoeblough 1226898433|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

hi - what kind of chipset does the 900HA have? i have a 1000HD and i was unsuccessful loading 10.5 even with kably's bios hack. it seems like its related to the integrated graphics in the 915 chipset. so it would be interesting to know if the 900HA is similar to the 1000HD.

lericolerico 1226942489|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

I believe 1000HD uses a Celeron D processor. Unfortunately, Celeron processor is not the best processor for OS X hack. You might be better off to sell it and get yourself a 1000HA to start with.

From what I understand,

• H stands for harddrive
  • D stands for Celeron D processor
  • A stands for Atom processor
woolmonkeywoolmonkey 1226986806|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

The power problem of the CPU not turning off by itself is solved by a pystar kext called OpenHaltRestart. Once this was installed the computer shut off fine.

mcsenerdmcsenerd 1227009216|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

Actually…I've installed that psystar kext…but the shut off problem remains. It did however clear up the mouse and keyboard loss upon reboot for some reason.

HibbertstromHibbertstrom 1230266854|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

Greetings eh,
I just got a 900HA and I'm afraid I'm pretty new to hacking (ie took an intro to computer science class last year). Coming back to the pc world after having been on mac for the past year and a half… yeah. man, i guess i've got a few questions for you.
1. is it likely someone will figure out how to fix the rest of the hardware stuff anytime soon?
2a. do you think with a basic knowledge i could maybe figure it out?
2b. where would i begin to find the kind of information to be able to fix that sort of stuff (or really even to understand what you did to get osx running)?
Thanks for the patience and sorry to be so ignorant on the topic, but gotta start somewhere.

42742847274274284727 1227063998|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

I have a 900HA and was wondering if speedstep and QE/CI work. Does anyone know if msiwindosx86.iso or any other distribution will work boot without the Chameleon DSDT Override?
Thanks in advance.

mcsenerdmcsenerd 1227068980|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

QE/CI work…I didn't do any resolution hacking either…it came up right away.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet the SpeedStep does not function correctly due to the same PowerManagement issue that I'm having…at least doing it this way I don't think it works…

42742847274274284727 1227070385|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

Now I will definitely try to install OS X this weekend. One more thing: Did you remove the EFI system partition? Does removing it render the eee pc unbootable? Thanks

42742847274274284727 1227588404|%e %b %Y, %H:%M %Z|agohover

Mcsenerd, what bios are you running? Can you please post your dsdt.aml file. Thanks.

Another note: iatkos give a kernel panic on boot and msiwindosx86 freezes at using xxxx buffer headers… I will try to install using iDeneb in the next few days.

new post
Unless stated otherwise Content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License