Left 4 Dead: Infection Day (real & contest mod entry)

Discussion about Creating Mods for L4D

Moderator: Modder's Toolbox Moderators

Left 4 Dead: Infection Day (real & contest mod entry)

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 02 Nov 2008 03:36

UPDATES! Watch for red text to see what's been newly added to the post! (All 3D renders in this post as of 11/4/2008 are not real, just placeholders, at least the ones that aren't straight from Left 4 Dead and we don't have single renders of those yet)

So, this is a real mod idea and also my entry for the mod contest…I have been watching Left 4 Dead for what seems like forever and I have been overly obsessed since more and more info about it has started to surface over the last year.

I haven’t done anything for the Source modding community since 2004…Half-Life 2’s original release. But this has brought me back into the idea-crunching mode and I am ridiculously fueled to actually get something done…

Now whether or not the infected are re-animated corpses or just people who got infected it makes sense to me that the infected wouldn’t always be fast. That being said I would like to go into what I would like to do.

This mod is definitely a Left 4 Dead mod to make a different experience with new content but something that takes place in the same universe. Going with the movie cliché ideal in mind the first thing is having an over-world, a living-breathing world that is being taken over by the infected invasion. A place that encompasses most experiences found in Left 4 Dead as well as maybe more. I mean safehouses, bands of survivors (good and bad towards you), weapons, food, leveling up, and much much more! So here we go.

-
DESCRIPTIONS
-

-Story- (kinda)

The game would take place on the first days of the infection and last until you figured out a way to be totally safe, leave, or die (of course you could save). The game would have a night and day system (an undetermined amount of time, it depends on how big I can really make the game without killing myself). The number of infected would grow and more types infected would surface, faster, slower, etc. Around the end of week one mutated infected (boss infected) would start to show up and as things went further one or two boss infected would become three and four.
Anyway, the game should start with some sort of introduction leading you into the house and into a text conversation after some of the infected “re-animate” and get shot running towards the barricaded house you would start in. From there other things would unfold leading you on to other things, things I’d like to keep a mystery until after I can get my fill of Left 4 Dead and then start actually working on the mod. Basically it would stand as kind of a precursor to Left 4 Dead and then a side-story to it instead of throwing you into the middle of it…
Maybe something like this:

::First credits roll over a black screen, a screen twitch (white noise and distortion) and back to black with a fade in to a small suburbian neighborhood with a city in the background and smoke billowing upward in a few spots.::

::The camera pans down through the town into a street where infected are ripping into a corpse, the tearing flesh can be heard from the corpse as blood splatters upward and hits the ground. Suddenly a gunshot is heard one of the infected’s head flies back with a cloud of blood.::

::The camera pans to a house, blue in color with metal bars and wood are plastered on a window. Something very small can be seen moving in the shadows. Another shot is fired this time you see a flash from the window.::

::The camera cuts to the group of infected, but they are no longer hovering over the corpse. Another shot is fired, an infected falls with a spurt of blood. A hooded infected gets to full run before being gunned down by a different caliber weapon. ::

::The camera cuts back to the house and multiple shots are fired from an automatic weapon of some kind. Two “Zombies” fall in front of the camera and then the camera moves around scoping the area. Stopping on a movement from the corpse in the middle of the street, it gets up and begins to run at the camera and one last shot is heard. A blood splatter mattes the forehead of the creature and it falls.::

::The Camera pans to the house and travels through the window to show the main character holding a scoped hunting rifle.::

“Nice shot, gamer name here.” And from here the game begins with a dialogue and choices.

From here your mission would be to stay and receive quests until something happened or go out and explore.

-

-Gameplay & Mechanics-

Now, utilizing the great AI director and system with a few modifications what I would like to do is create a world with a higher scope than Left 4 Dead. What I want to accomplish may be impossible, but I would still like to try…I would like to create something that makes you really feel like you’re in the Zombie apocalypse rather than in a playable movie of it.

Think of starting out with the choice of a male or female and then the game starts...Then opening movie and then you in a barricaded house with a group of survivors that are fixed on staying in that area, first off you’re given the choice to stay with the group’s limited supply of guns, food, and ammunition (yes food has been added but for health regain). Or you could choose to leave, maybe bring some willing participants along with you. If you leave, then choosing what weapons and ammo you wanted to bring along (total of three one long gun and two short either two pistols, a pistol and a mac 10 or other small machinegun I don’t know yet, probably something already in Left 4 Dead.), or a pistol and a sawed-off shotgun. The long gun could be a three round pump shotgun or a hunting rifle.

With those selections stated all short weapons could be used to duel wield, however, your accuracy would be decreased if you did so. You would be able to choose the option in a menu.

Speaking of the menu it would have your bag in it, instead of a weight system you’d have bag slots…automatically there’d be slots already for your long and short weapons. Hopefully spots visible on the character models (mainly for a death cam mod I want to work on, considering the game would be fps and no one would ever really s you)…But the slots would be for food, ammo, and special items like grenades, pipe-bombs, body armor, flares, and other things. Another menu tag would be skills because for every infected you kill you would gain a certain amount of experience (more depending on the type of infected). With skills you can increase your bag slots, health points, your accuracy (by that I mean less movement of your hands while aiming), reload time, and gain abilities to make items easier to find, infected easier to spot (red or maybe green aura that gets brighter with higher levels), friendly’s easier to spot (blue aura, gets brighter with higher levels), and even special gore mode for the sick and twisted, plus others.

Using the AI for the Left 4 Dead Survivors you might be able to work something out for actions to make AI friend’s stay or do their own thing and follow you and hopefully a good assortment of talk to commands. Then while following you they have the ability to help you kill the infected and scout for new items, safe-houses, and information.

Unlike Left 4 Dead this would be maybe one to two players but I’m leaning towards single as I am not a game developer and do not have the funding to work on something involving co-op and personal servers…But along your way you could find other AI survivors (I’m thinking of modding the infected to have opposite normal looking skins for infected continuity) and even hideouts for other survivors that you could do quests for. In the idea of a living world you might find survivors running around killing zombies on the map or even trying to kill you.

I want to try and create a totally active world (Yes a world map would need to be created). The longer you stay in it the more of the hideouts die out and the less safe places you have. I want an entire city (I mean not thousands of buildings but more like hundreds, a house section, airstrip, city section, and outskirts. Something with farms, tall buildings,, a mall, a airport, houses, apartments, offices, a hospital (probably a lot of this straight from the textures and things in Left 4 Dead), and other such areas. You can go anywhere at any time.

Also I want to try and make everything destructible so the zombies can overrun safe havens and whatever else. Everything I want to do would take a long time and a lot of tweaking on the engine and AI of Source and Left 4 Dead. But damn it it’d be cool if over time a building you visited earlier was destroyed by the infected, walls broken truck exploded, maybe even bodies! That being said like a real city it has a dedicated number of people (more people on harder difficulties) and each person represents either a survivor or an infected once that counter reaches zero you win because you killed them all and you’re the last one left (that’s if the infected counter goes down to zero).

Anyway, if you managed to get to safe havens they might ask you to do quests or something like gather food or find us ammunition and your reward would be experience and some of the loot. There would be a store system where you traded your guns, ammunition, and food in for Reputation. Be careful though because stores even though currency would carry to each they would only be at safe-houses. So if they die, no more store.
In heart to Left 4 Dead I haven’t decided whether there will be a limit to how many survivors you can get to follow you around…I always loved having like six Barney’s with me in Half Life…

One last twist would be that not all of your friends and survivors would be immune to the disease and if attacked would change over time and if killed change right away into one of the infected adding a fun “The Thing” feel to the mod, never knowing if one of your friends is immune or not.

-

-Graphics-
Nothing would really be upgraded from Left 4 Dead except maybe a different sound set, maybe male and female boss models and the mostly destructible environments….I know this would be hard and take a lot of CPU but I know there’s someone out there that could help me work it out….I really want to feel like the Tanks and Witches are extremely dangerous…Like no place is forever safe.

-
LISTS
-

-Guns & Items-

Currently what I have in mind:

Short-
Revolver
Magnum Revolver
Compact Handgun
Handgun
High Powered Handgun
Mac10
Sawed-Off Shotgun

Long-
Retail Pump Shotgun
Modded Pump Shotgun (higher ammo capacity)
Semi-Automatic Shotgun
MP5
M4
AK47
Hunting Rifle
Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle

Extra-
Food
Drinks
Med Packs
Weapon Silencer (not for all weapons)
Pipe-Bomb
Grenade
Flash Bang
Smoke Grenade
Flare
Rocket Launcher
Rockets
-New!-Laser Activated Claymore
Body Armor

And maybe more….

-

-Enemies-

Armed and Unarmed Survivors (yes enemy survivors ;D)
Slow Infected
Medium Infected
Fast Infected
Child Infected (thinking maybe thirteen in appearance, male and female, probably spawn less than tanks even in later days)
Boomers
Hunters (being the most prevalent of boss infected)
Smokers
Tanks (less than boomers, smokers, and hunters)
Witches (less than all bosses combined)

(I would like to make male and female versions of each of the bosses except maybe the witch, could you imagine a female boomer?!)

-

-Features-

Fully Open World
New Experience and Level Up system
Night and Day
Iron Sights (this idea has been removed)
Quest for Other Survivors
Recruit Other Survivors
Battle Other Survivors
Male and Female Boss Infected
Body Armor
Food and Health System
Survive or Die Your Own Way
Barricade Yourself In
Hideout With Other Survivors
Run and Gun
Scavenge For Supplies
Walk, Run, and Sprint (Will bring your weapon down when you sprint)
Jump, Stand, Crouch, and Prone!

AND MORE!

-

-Locations-

Elm Street Suburbs (a grid of houses)
Silent Hill Hospital (a Hospital)
Raccoon Police Department (a Police Department)
Night of the Living Dead Memorial Graveyard (Graveyard, Crypts, and Church included)
Con Air (an Airport)
Massacre Gas Station (a gas station)
Food Mart (a grocery)
Monroe Mall (a mall)
Jeepers Creepers Farmhouses (a small area of fields and farms)
The Omen Elementary School (a Elementary School) -removed-
Crimson Carrie High School (a High School)
Scream College Campus (dorms and college grounds)
The Suffering Prison (a Prison) -Newly Added-
(a grid of apartments, parking complexes, grocery store, diner, and office buildings)

I think thats everything so far, all names of areas and blocks are subject to change and are not final, if you have better names let me know because some of them are lame and some of them aren't names. These would not be replicas of their names either, so don't let the replication factor make your choice on the name because all areas will be custom and not really based on their named counter-part.

-

-Additions-

If you guys can think of anything that you would like (that’s not more crazy than what I’ve already said) please post it and I will either draw a sketch or write a description or copy and paste your idea to additions (if it is a serious post/good idea for the mod).

Addition-1-Rough Map
(The proportion and scale isn't what it will be but it gives you an idea of the layout idea I have for the city)

-Addition-2-Infected Reskin (This is for their human form counter-parts)-
Obviously not an exact replica of a real reskin but as much as I can do until the game comes out and I can actually play with the infected models (yes I was a little lazy on the eyes and skin color) But this might be what an infected looks like before the infection.
ImageImage

-Addition-3-Sample Menu Screen-
What the in-game menu might look like. (The HUD in the bottom right is made by me as well, maybe the real one will look similar?) Bag or Weight!?
or

-

-New Addition - Infected Mode!-

Just like Left 4 Dead I think it would be fun to play as the infected. Only this time you play from day one as an infected beastie! So you've got your fill of the Single-Player Human mode in Infection Day and now you want to do something different. You could replay Human mode and try a different play style, but why do that when you can play INFECTEDMODE!

The mode opens with the choice of male or female and then the openning sequence begins, your friend who has been really sick lately stops breathing. You go over to check on them, they have no pulse, you panic and call 911. The body on the bed moves, you hang up the phone and then it happens. Your dorm friend rushes you, bites you and knocks you out of the window. The screen blacks out and credits roll in the blackness. You blink, opening your eyes, everything is fuzzy but then becomes clear.

You're in the back of an ambulance, the amulance swerves and crashes. the screen fades to black and then back to you. The door is open and you are now in the housing section (same starting point as playing as the human character) only this time your only choice is that there is no choice. There are humans around, some armed some not, some other infected attacking them. You join into it of the player's will or you can do whatever.

The point is you are now a regular infected and can play in the city as you wish. Killing off humans and turning them, the more you kill the more experience you gain, the more experience you gain the more levels you get. Levels equal skill points, you can make yourself stronger, faster, climb walls, better hunting vision. And once you get high enough in levels you'll mutate into one of the boss infected (if you choose to).

Essentially this would remove the hunter and witch infected because at max level you'd be like an overpowered hunter/witch anyway....Staying a regular infected would allow you to take full advantage of your abilities while changing into one of the other three would five you a whole new but more restricted range of abilities! The only way for this game-mode to end is to die or kill all the humans...

We'll see how this mode progresses and developes after the game is released and I have a full chance to play as the infected in the regular game....I need to see what all the infected can do ^^;!

-

I am thinking about vehicles…..

And soon I will add a Story Board for the intro and other sketches or example shots of the weapons.
Thanks guys for everything I hope to be getting feedback soon!

(And sorry for all the times certain ideas or what not is repeated, most of the current images are provided by CS-Nation!)
Last edited by BeyondSpectrality on 07 Nov 2008 01:56, edited 21 times in total.
BeyondSpectrality

Steam: BeyondSpectrality

Re: Left 4 Dead: Infection Day (real & contest mod entry)

Postby Creation on 02 Nov 2008 05:23

If this gets created i'd love you forever seriously. slightest argument i have is no ironsights please

This addon is gonna be waaay huge too.
Never underestimate the stupidity of the gerneral public.
Creation

Steam: Cr34ti0n1
Xfire: wolf2500

Postby StephanBotha on 02 Nov 2008 06:17

I'm all for ironsights, but with a dozen infected coming your way, there's no time to go to ironsights.

Great Mod idea it'll an experience to see this evolve into a reality!
StephanBotha
Administrator
Administrator

Steam: StephanBotha
Xfire: StephanBotha

Postby Creation on 02 Nov 2008 06:23

Would certainly give the sniper rifle a advantage if you chose to stay indoors. I'd be looking for the highest vantage point eg, roof, church tower.
Creation

Postby Extreme_One on 02 Nov 2008 08:27

Great idea for a mod, :thumbs:

I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Extreme_One
Administrator
Administrator

Steam: Extreme_0ne
Xfire: extreme0ne

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 02 Nov 2008 12:19

Some new additions and changes have been made on the main thread, check 'em out! Today Ill be working on a sketch of the over-world map and maybe some of the female versions of infected!
BeyondSpectrality

Postby Creation on 02 Nov 2008 13:17

Female special infected??

Female boomer *shudders*
Creation

Postby Dante773 on 02 Nov 2008 20:16

this is a good idea and i think it should be in the game L4d but i had a new creature that i thought of called the Squeezer The squeezer is like a spider with giant legs but in the body of a rat. The head is gone but it has tenticles for a head and its mouth is under the rats belly. When this creature grabs a hold ofyour head it begins to start bitting your face off which you will need your team mate to shoot it off for you. (may cause freindly fire.) and really it is fast but at the same time it cant attack you unless it can sense heat. or it pass you or even feals you then it will begin to attack. I can draw a picture on how it will look.
Dante773
Hunter
Hunter

Steam: Dante1773

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 02 Nov 2008 22:12

Dante773 wrote:this is a good idea and i think it should be in the game L4d but i had a new creature that i thought of called the Squeezer The squeezer is like a spider with giant legs but in the body of a rat. The head is gone but it has tenticles for a head and its mouth is under the rats belly. When this creature grabs a hold ofyour head it begins to start bitting your face off which you will need your team mate to shoot it off for you. (may cause freindly fire.) and really it is fast but at the same time it cant attack you unless it can sense heat. or it pass you or even feals you then it will begin to attack. I can draw a picture on how it will look.

Unfortunately in this mod I don't think rat spiders with no head would really work...So I'm gonna have to throw this one to the side, it really doesn't go along with the Left 4 Dead universe....

Thanks for the feedback and posting though! More coming soon!
Last edited by BeyondSpectrality on 03 Nov 2008 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
BeyondSpectrality

Postby Creation on 03 Nov 2008 09:50

I'd prefer another zombie which can only use ambushes for attacks, like a trap door spider, wait for the prey to come to you
Creation

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 03 Nov 2008 10:16

New content has been added to the post! Check it out...All updates should be very noticeable or marked by red!

And about adding new infected, I feel like the whole point to most of the Infected is to roam around and or ambush you when you're least expecting it....But a trap setting infected is a good idea. It'd be neat but I think I'll wait to see what the mod community makes up before I rush into creating my own. Right now I have a big enough project as it is ^^;
BeyondSpectrality

Postby Creation on 03 Nov 2008 10:52

Looks like a silent hill map, from where the startomg point is, i'd travel north to the hosptal first
Creation

Postby StephanBotha on 03 Nov 2008 11:15

I like that map you got there. Liking the eye-candy!
StephanBotha
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 03 Nov 2008 11:49

Yeah, about to leave on a business trip for the next three days so when I get back I should have a lot done from what I do while being alone in my hotel room....
BeyondSpectrality

Postby StephanBotha on 03 Nov 2008 12:43

Nice!

What business are you in?
StephanBotha
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 03 Nov 2008 21:32

I am a manager of a camera store, however I totalled my car today on my drive up to my business meeting so I am home for a couple of days....Hopefully I'll be able to work on the mod while I'm recovering, but I'm alive so that's better than anything else....

Even if I have to go car shopping.....
BeyondSpectrality

Postby KrazeD on 04 Nov 2008 14:23

Dude I don't know what moddeling experience you have on top of modding, but I would like to see a FEMALE BOOMER (: a big fat zombie chick lol... And you idea seems fantastic!!! If you have trouble porting over weapons from css I know a couple people that can do that... Because I'd love to carry around an MP5 instead of the UZI... And just an idea to add to your mod I'm thinking the only weapon you might want to consider are laser trip mines... Vehicles could be incorporated also I would love to drive over zombies with my HUMMER...
"THERES NO MORE ROOM IN HELL, NO WHERE FOR THE DEAD TO GO BUT ROAM THE EARTH!!!"
KrazeD
Infected
Infected

Steam: krazed1st

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 04 Nov 2008 14:40

Oh, KrazeD those are some good ideas and if I have any troubles I'll let you know, I'm not gonna start any porting, map-making, or modeling until after Left 4 Dead comes out though but mines are a great idea!

I definately want vehicles....I just haven't figured out how I would incorperate them yet.....like random spawning or what not...

I think it would be to intensive (both on the modder (me) and the player's CPU) if you could break into any car and just drive it...

What I'm thinking is maybe have one van, one truck, one car, and maybe a hummer mounted with a minigun that randomly spawn around the city...but I won't know until I see how much of these things are already incorperated in Left 4 Dead.....I have a feeling there's a lot we don't yet know about the game.

But I think everyone should take a look at the post to see the new (for sure) additions.

-

What do you think should I do a depth of field mod for Infection Day, yes or no (below are some examples of Screenshots with and without depth of field):

Original:

With Depth of Field:

-

Original:

With Depth of Field:
BeyondSpectrality

Postby StephanBotha on 05 Nov 2008 01:12

The depth of field would be a great addition to the game. Almost like FC2
StephanBotha
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 05 Nov 2008 03:39

Well now don't forget to check out the other new stuff I added like, how the menu might look, a quick example of what I might try and do for reskins on the human alternates of the infected and my idea for INFECTED MODE!!!!!

The Depth of Field was like the last thing I added!!!
BeyondSpectrality

Postby StephanBotha on 05 Nov 2008 03:42

BeyondSpectrality wrote:I am a manager of a camera store, however I totalled my car today on my drive up to my business meeting so I am home for a couple of days....Hopefully I'll be able to work on the mod while I'm recovering, but I'm alive so that's better than anything else....

Even if I have to go car shopping.....

Yikes! How did that happen?
StephanBotha
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Creation on 05 Nov 2008 09:37

did you really make those infected skins and that drop in inventroy (kinda RE4 looking?) I love you!
Creation

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 05 Nov 2008 11:53

^_- I did indeed do that! I can't wait till after I get my fill of L4D so that I can actually make the ideas in my head come to life! And as I stated the Skin was done really quickly, the real ones will look much nicer!

Yikes! How did that happen?

Uh, really wet on the roads, hit a thick patch of water, hydroplaned and rolled my car and then skid on the hood for about twenty feet....Just took my neck brace off today....I got really lucky....
BeyondSpectrality

Postby StephanBotha on 05 Nov 2008 12:50

You dare-devil you!
StephanBotha
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Creation on 05 Nov 2008 13:20

How about implimenting a weight system like zombie panic source did, that way little old greedy guts teammates wont be stealing all the loot without paying the price

*pictures fatty waddling away from witch* hehehehe :lol:
Creation

Postby Levybreak on 05 Nov 2008 15:05

I THINK source has a DoF Post Process you can enable, but even a "quick" DoF causes lag in single player (by "quick" i mean focuses on the center of the screen and blurs radially) and a "normal" DoF (where stuff is blurred by distance) actually requires rendering time, and is not practical unless you happen to have an awesome computer to run it on.
My steam name is LevyBreak if you'd like to add me. The number I put in my profile is what I am led to believe was needed. (Unless they wanted the STEAM:0:1:###### formatted thingy, I could give that, too, if need be)
Levybreak
Hunter
Hunter

Steam: LevyBreak
Xfire: iampop2

Postby Levybreak on 05 Nov 2008 15:06

Creation wrote:How about implimenting a weight system like zombie panic source did, that way little old greedy guts teammates wont be stealing all the loot without paying the price

I dislike how the weight system makes you slower when you have items, especially when you're the only one playing, instead, why not just limit how much a player can carry, without limiting their movement?
My steam name is LevyBreak if you'd like to add me. The number I put in my profile is what I am led to believe was needed. (Unless they wanted the STEAM:0:1:###### formatted thingy, I could give that, too, if need be)
Levybreak
Hunter
Hunter

Steam: LevyBreak
Xfire: iampop2

Postby BeyondSpectrality on 05 Nov 2008 20:12

Levy don't forget that you can edit posts to prevent double posting.

Creation wrote:How about implimenting a weight system like zombie panic source did, that way little old greedy guts teammates wont be stealing all the loot without paying the price

Anyway, I decided on the bag idea because I feel like it limits you fair enough and you're going to go the same speed.

And you again Levy, thanks for the note on DoF...I'll look into it once I start the mod...

Speaking of speed though, I haven't seen it in Left 4 Dead yet so I am thinking since the mod will be open world you won't always be running like you are in L4D....So I'm adding Walk, run, sprint (this will make you go really fast but take down your weapon). And adding a prone position for those who want best accuracy while using the sniper rifle and what not!
BeyondSpectrality

Postby StephanBotha on 05 Nov 2008 23:20

This will be an epic mod I can tell now already.

About the weight vs speed thing. You say: Why not just limit the amount of ammo or weapons one can carry without speed limitation? Well, if yo are losing speed, you are carrying too much and you need to drop some stuff. It works both ways. It will certainly make for some interesting gameplay with dozens of infeccted around you at all times. Imagine being overweight and a tank breaks through the wall next to you and you can't run coz you were too greedy for ammo and molotovs!
StephanBotha
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dante773 on 06 Nov 2008 00:05

If a tank was coming after me and if i had so much equipment on me then id just use it while walking and burn him down untill hes dead lol unless a horde is with him then im screwd but id be a suicide bomber
Dante773
Hunter
Hunter

Steam: Dante1773

Next

Return to Mods