United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Fat Al

Default SAF - A personal opinion

There has been plenty written on here about SAF. His involvement in the Glazer takeover because of his whole fall-out over the horse issue. The state of the team he left when he retired. His baffling choice as a successor.

I just want to say something about the person himself.

A while ago, my uncle was diagnosed with a brain tumour. One of the ways this impacted on his life was the withdrawal of his driving licence. Him & my aunt are ST holders in the Stretty but they live in Sheffield. So my uncle not being able to drive made things difficult for them getting to OT as altho my aunt drives, she is very uncomfortable driving anywhere but very locally.
So, for match days they changed their routine. They got the train to Manchester. They'd stay over and go home the following day. They're both retired, so they have the time to do things like that.

Unfortunately even this got too much for my uncle. He wasn't able to cope with this. And being a proud man, he didn't say anything about it, he didn't ask for help, he just stopped going to United.
So my aunt got in touch with her ex-husband. My uncle & he had always got on very well - he had met my aunt after her divorce & my uncle has been a good step-father to his 2 children. My aunt told her ex that my uncle was missing the football, and could he help. He said of course he could. He picked my uncle up in his chauffeur driven car, took him to OT, sat with him in the Directors seats next to SAF, spent half time getting a bite to eat sat next to SAF & then 2nd half back to watch the game.

Oh yeah, maybe I should shave said - my aunts ex-husband is Howard Wilkinson. Yup, ex-Leeds & England manager Howard Wilkinson.

Anyway, my uncle's condition has worsened. The tumour has split in 2 & increased in size. The hospital have stopped treatment & he has been admitted to a hospice. They're arranging for him to be transferred home but now it is just a case of making him comfortable.
He had a parcel delivered to him the other day. SAF's latest book. Not just signed by SAF, but a very lengthy personal inscription written inside the book.

He's only met my uncle once. He must be introduced to hundreds of people every month but not only did he remember him, he took the time to ask after him & them send the book.

A top man who made my uncle very happy.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post
There has been plenty written on here about SAF. His involvement in the Glazer takeover because of his whole fall-out over the horse issue. The state of the team he left when he retired. His baffling choice as a successor.

A while ago, my uncle was diagnosed with a brain tumour. One of the ways this impacted on his life was the withdrawal of his driving licence. Him & my aunt are ST holders in the Stretty but they live in Sheffield. So my uncle not being able to drive made things difficult for them getting to OT as altho my aunt drives, she is very uncomfortable driving anywhere but very locally.
So, for match days they changed their routine. They got the train to Manchester. They'd stay over and go home the following day. They're both retired, so they have the time to do things like that.

Unfortunately even this got too much for my uncle. He wasn't able to cope with this. And being a proud man, he didn't say anything about it, he didn't ask for help, he just stopped going to United.
So my aunt got in touch with her ex-husband. My uncle & he had always got on very well - he had met my aunt after her divorce & my uncle has been a good step-father to his 2 children. My aunt told her ex that my uncle was missing the football, and could he help. He said of course he could. He picked my uncle up in his chauffeur driven car, took him to OT, sat with him in the Directors seats next to SAF, spent half time getting a bite to eat sat next to SAF & then 2nd half back to watch the game.

Oh yeah, maybe I should shave said - my aunts ex-husband is Howard Wilkinson. Yup, ex-Leeds & England manager Howard Wilkinson.

Anyway, my uncle's condition has worsened. The tumour has split in 2 & increased in size. The hospital have stopped treatment & he has been admitted to a hospice. They're arranging for him to be transferred home but now it is just a case of making him comfortable.
He had a parcel delivered to him the other day. SAF's latest book. Not just signed by SAF, but a very lengthy personal inscription written inside the book.

He's only met my uncle once. He must be introduced to hundreds of people every month but not only did he remember him, he took the time to ask after him & them send the book.

Fergie

Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
bobbledinho

Sorry to hear about your uncle. Lovely gesture by SAF though and glad it meant a lot to your Uncle.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Ferie

Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
red in cumbria

There are good reasons why he was popular with most of his fellow (and "rival") managers, despite his flaws.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
dragflick

Cool

Cracking post Al.

Fergie really is a top man with stuff like that. For all the ones we hear about, I bet there's a shit load that we don't. His personal touch and remembering little details about people was a big part towards how successful he was. Top man. And sorry to hear about your uncle.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
Jack Duckworth

what a great post.

sorry to hear about your uncle, al. it shows what a man fergie is when you hear stuff like this and like draggers says, it'll just be the tip of the iceberg.

Old Today, 12:26 AM
Rorschach

Sorry to hear about your uncle. Thanks for sharing the story.

(And it's nice to see that the old goat still has his good moments.)

Old Today, 01:32 AM
Cream

Not wishing to one up you here, Al, but I once lived with a girl who served Freg and Sir Matt at a golf club restaurant.

She said he was lovely. Not all the guests she served that night were.

A true mark of the man.

Old Today, 08:26 AM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post

Marvellous gesture.

He was still wrong about Stam tho.