Go Back   Yellowworld Forums > Interests > Archives > General > Current Events

Old 02-10-2004, 12:38 AM
The H.N.I.C.

younggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond reputeyounggiftedandblack has a reputation beyond repute
Hell hole: 39 years of solitary confinement

QUOTE:
In a good week, they may be able to sink into the squalor of a filthy bath three times. Simply saying "good morning" is enough for a fine or even a beating. They're shut away in tiny cells about 9 meters square. They might be allowed to meet somebody every now and again, but the visitor would have to be really famous.

Japan's prisons have long copped flak from Western human rights organizations, but solitary confinement in Japanese penitentiary can be a living Hell that lasts for decades and has few crueler counterparts throughout the world, according to Flash (2/18).

"Overseas, the longest a prisoner would be kept in solitary confinement would be three months and anything over a year would soon be banned, but there're at least 30 prisoners in Japanese jails who've been in solitary confinement for at least 10 years. At least one prisoner has been in there for 39 years," Yuichi Kaido, a lawyer and representative of the Prison Human Rights Center, tells Flash. "Usually, solitary confinement goes for six months, but it can be extended every three months at the discretion of the prison head."

Japan's Penal Code was drawn up in 1909 and its rules regarding solitary confinement are unchanged since that time. Prisoners must be totally withdrawn from all other detainees. They are forbidden from taking part in regular prison work and given menial duties to perform in their tiny cells.

"They can only leave their cells for baths, exercise and visitors. The baths are squalid, tiny individual areas and they're only allowed two or three a week. There is only 30 minutes allocated for exercise. They can't play sports like soccer or baseball, like the other prisoners, but instead have to walk around by themselves in a tiny area known as a torikoya (chicken coop)," Kaido tells Flash.

Speaking without permission is strictly forbidden and can incur a fine. Solitary confinement inmates are not permitted to take part in prison recreation activities, such as movie screenings.

"So many cases of mental illness have been caused by having people shoved into these cells and forbidden from communicating with other people," Kaido says. "In some cases, people have lost use of their limbs and all invariably end up with a bad back."

Meetings with solitary confinement prisoners are also notoriously difficult to set up and at least one case exists where a Diet member was refused a visit because prison authorities felt that the politician was not famous enough.

Japan has 58 prisons for adult convicts, of which five openly admit to holding more than one prisoner who has been in solitary confinement for more than a decade. Some prisons refuse to comment on the status of their inmates. Others defend their stance regarding the detention of inmates in solitude.

"Every one of our inmates suffers from some sort of mental disease. You may accuse us of violating human rights, but the situation facing us is different to that confronting other prisons," a spokesman for a psychiatric prison in Kitakyushu tells Flash.

Gifu Prison officials are also unapologetic for keeping six men in the solitary cooler since at least the early '90s.

"To be frankly honest, we don't want to keep them in solitary confinement. Like everywhere else in Japan, Gifu Prison has got more prisoners than it was built to handle. We'd be delighted to promptly move the solitary confinement prisoners back in with the main body of convicts," a Gifu Prison spokesman tells Flash. "You must note that some prisoners don't want to leave. And other prisoners, like those who've gone senile, or who get violent, simply can't be put back in with the main prison body because they wouldn't feel at home there. We don't think we're violating anybody's human rights at all."
Old 02-10-2004, 03:05 AM
contraceptive slush

pfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond reputepfc beansprout has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hell hole: 39 years of solitary confinement

boy...interesting...taking a "penology" course in the spring....lets see what i can add later (errr...in 2 or so months =x)
"Few of us can easily surrender our belief that society must somehow make sense. The thought that The State has lost its mind and is punishing so many innocent people is intolerable. And so the evidence has to be internally denied.” Arthur Miller
Old 02-10-2004, 07:56 AM
YW Super Mod

rice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond repute

My step-dad used to threaten me with Japanese prison to keep me from causing trouble off base.

It's all on Google.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:32 AM
toe licking bandit

VV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond reputeVV o n g B a has a reputation beyond repute

39 years... thats hard to comprehend. i haven't even lived that long. damn.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:25 AM
0-60 in 3.3, 11.5@ 124

yoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by rice cracker
My step-dad used to threaten me with Japanese prison to keep me from causing trouble off base.
Should have used Chinese prison instead!

Old 02-10-2004, 09:35 AM
YW Super Mod

rice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond reputerice cracker has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by yoMAMA
Should have used Chinese prison instead!

Well, we weren't in China

It's all on Google.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:04 AM
台妹

AngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngryABCGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you argue some of these people had it coming? I seriously wouldn't mind seeing a rapist go mad by himself in a little grey room.
I don't give a fuck about 人家說什麼
他們想說什麼就說什麼 但是他們算什麼
沒有誰有權利拿他的標準衡量我
主宰是我自己 隨便人家如何想
我還是我
- 宋岳庭
Old 02-10-2004, 10:18 AM
0-60 in 3.3, 11.5@ 124

yoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond reputeyoMAMA has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by AzNBuffGrL
Couldn't you argue some of these people had it coming? I seriously wouldn't mind seeing a rapist go mad by himself in a little grey room.
I think there's the revenge factor, but then i guess there's also the thing that prisoners have rights, too.

[just like the U.S, when they sue the prison for no cable tv and too much fatty food ]
Old 02-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Administrator

SunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond reputeSunWuKong has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by yoMAMA
I think there's the revenge factor, but then i guess there's also the thing that prisoners have rights, too.

[just like the U.S, when they sue the prison for no cable tv and too much fatty food ]
i don't think prisoners of very serious crime should have any rights. the second he took away someone's naturally given rights, he has given up his own.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Al-Gawwad

Mr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond repute

suck for them!
كواكَريسم
Old 02-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Jen...An IC3

nonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond reputenonamerasian has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like for U.S. prisions to learn from other countries in terms of harshness, but this is too much.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Al-Gawwad

Mr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond reputeMr.Lum has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you kill a person (murder them) or rape a woman and especialy a child you should be killed. period. I dont care what Europeans say. a person like that does not deserve to live.
كواكَريسم
Old 02-14-2004, 12:00 AM
negaramu tak boleh

AliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond reputeAliBabaIncorporated has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE:
Originally Posted by crackwh0re
I really liked the "all of our prisoners have some type of mental disease" part. It was a pretty smart statement
Read the article closely:
QUOTE:
"Every one of our inmates suffers from some sort of mental disease. You may accuse us of violating human rights, but the situation facing us is different to that confronting other prisons," a spokesman for a psychiatric prison in Kitakyushu tells Flash.
QUOTE:
Originally Posted by SunWuKong
i don't think prisoners of very serious crime should have any rights. the second he took away someone's naturally given rights, he has given up his own.
If you are reasonably sure that the guy has been convicted properly, I fully agree. But I have about zero faith in the Japanese justice system because they permit 21-day confinement without seeing your lawyer (during which physical abuse of prisoners by police is regularly ignored), plenty of time for police to beat a confession out of you, or just deprive you of sleep for so long that you'll sign anything. Also I believe that could be extended at the discretion of the Ministry of Justice. Writ of habeas corpus? never heard of it.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Juror #2

mr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond reputemr. x has a reputation beyond repute

thing is, isnt japan sorta lenient on rapists?

i think what disturbs a lot of people is that its remiscent of the old japanese POW treatment