PDA

View Full Version : Flogged Queen of Pop becomes damsel in distress

Messanic
01-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Diva Ayumi Hamasaki's reign as the queen of Japan's charts appears poised to pop, according to Shukan Jitsuwa (12/30).

Rumors she was shunned by the Japan Music Awards she has dominated for years, troubles within her record company and loss of a long-time endorsement contract have given voice to whispers that Ayu's long-time dominance of the Japanese music scene is now on the wane.

Some reports had Ayu saying she would refuse to accept if she won this year's Japan Record Award, probably the country's top pop music prize.

But the organizers of the awards said they had not heard anything formally from Ayu or her record company Avex, and now some are saying she was never considered for the prize in the first place, anyway.

"This year's contest has always been about Kiyoshi Hikawa and Mr. Children. Ayu wasn't in the running from the start," an entertainment beat reporter tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "Having won the past three awards in a row worked against her. Some say many people voted against her simply because they wanted to see somebody else win."

If that wasn't a slap in the face, being dumped as the main poster girl for cosmetics giant Kose -- a position Ayu has held for many years -- could well have been. What may really hurt, though, is that Ayu was replaced by 18-year-old Beni Arashiro, a new face on the Avex books that Hamasaki has supported for years.

"It's not like Ayu was bad or anything, but Kose wanted to make sure consumers weren't getting bored because she'd been doing it for so long. She's basically reached her use-by date," an advertising agency insider tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "If you think about it, if the company is starting off an ad campaign focusing on a new direction, Ayu doesn't have much impact."

Even Ayu's biggest fans -- top Avex shareholders -- may not exactly have turned against her, but have spoken out publicly with concerns that the company putting all its eggs in one basket by focusing on the 26-year-old's career could be dangerous if her shell starts to crack.

A letter Avex President Masato Matsuura sent to Ayu to soothe her following shareholders' complaints may also have backfired.

"It's not the right behavior for the president of a major record company listed on the stock exchange to show in relation to one individual on its books. Doing so would only make her feel more than ever that she is the reason the company is getting by," a music industry source tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "Many in the industry are worried that other singers will start copying Ayu's behavior, while there are quite a few saying that Ayu should be put back in her place because she's become too big for her boots."

This is for all the Ayumi Hamazaki fans.

Source - http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/face/0412/16ayu.html

Dr. Bombay
01-03-2005, 03:15 PM
You know what this means right?

US tour dates. ::Nodnod::

Xero
01-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I started to listen to J-pop by listening to Ayumi Hamasaki, I really loved her songs, but along came L'Arc en Ciel... Ayu went bye-bye from my tracklist lol. Now im into J-rock and a little of Utada Hikaru, being the only J-pop singer I like. L'Arc en Ciel may fall under J-pop, but since its a band... ya know, lol. Sorry for going way out of topic but I thought I'd like to share my thoughts about Ayu. ^^;

Dr. Bombay
01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
It's all about Rip Slyme for me.

Super Shooter is friggen awesome.

Joe Redifer
01-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Aren't these types of Japanese chicks supposed to be hot?

Dr. Bombay
01-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Usually. Puffy Ami Yumi are hot. Cibo Matto are hot. DAI is hot. And unfortunantely (or fortunantely in some cases), most male J-pop/rock artists are hot. But It's been a while since I've seen Either Hamasaki or Megumi Hayashibara, so I can no longer attest to whether or not they are indeed hot.

Xero
01-03-2005, 08:18 PM
I just listened to a few of Ayu's songs, and got a few memories flashing back lol. Hmmm, did she have 2 versions for her song "Duty"? or something... coz I think I've heard 2 different ones before.. not sure. Duty, Naturally and You are my favorite. I also like Mayaa Sakamoto (she's hot too lol) from her Rahxephon opening theme.

Dr. Bombay-_________________________

Some awesome J-Rock songs for you to get:

Luna Sea - (get Storm, Tonight, I for You)

Siam Shade -(pretty much all of their songs but namely Life, Glacial Love, Kumori Nochi Hare, Heaven and Dreams)

Dir en Grey - (I personally don't like them much since they're "too heavy" and their video clips are quite sick... BUT they happen to have this awesome song called Yokan. Its soft and quite fast paced but NOT heavy at all and no screaming >_> )

L'Arc en Ciel - (Stay Away, Dive to Blue, Shi no Hai, Winterfall.)

Dr. Bombay
01-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Um...kay?

Quick question. Is Shanti Snyder japanese?

1337haxxor
01-03-2005, 09:26 PM

yeah, its part of the job, pop music is more about an image thats marketib;e than anything else.

Messanic
01-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I stopped listening to Ayumi a long time ago, but if I heard any of her music now, I'd still love. Her Raimbow album is pretty good, it's actually my favorite album overall from her. As for Hikaru, her US album sucks balls, but her First Love and Deep River albums are awsome. I also have all of Dir en Grey and Do as Infinity's albums, lives and singles to date, pirated mind you, but I have them all. Xero_0, I suggest you check out these songs from them:

Kasumi
Drain Away
Embryo
Cage
Mr. Newsman
The Final

The guy in my av is Miyavi, he can't sing worth ****, but he's hawt.

Icarus4578
01-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Dr. Bombay ~ "You know what this means right?

US tour dates. ::Nodnod::"

Yeah. Apparently, we're becoming a desposit for failed Japanese acts. Only problem is it's not gonna work. Nobody gives a sh*t. And if you don't believe me, ask Utada "I really suck" Hikaru.

J-pop singers are products to be replaced after their popularity has waned. It's obviously not about the music.

Joe Redifer
01-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Icarus, one of these days I'm gonna type up a tutorial on how to use the quote button or even manually type in the tags. It makes it much easier for people to read your posts when you quote someone.

By the way, where are you people getting your music? Are you importing it or downloading it? What made you interested in this stuff? Do you also enjoy Michael Jackson?

Reivenlocke
01-04-2005, 01:45 AM

If you don't mind her speaking voice, Hamasaki is hot. However, a lot of these female singers/groups in Japan become famous on looks and not on talent (See: Musume, Morning).

Icarus4578
01-04-2005, 02:09 AM
:lol: Yes! I am evil!! I can't be bothered clicking on quote buttons and the like!! Actually, it's just much more convenient. Say I want to respond only to a segment of a particular post... Well, it gets annoying as hell having to use the quote feature in this manner, so I stick with my method. Much more convenient.

As for importing music, I have at/around 700 CDs from Japan alone. Not really any of that Morning Musume stuff nor anything like it. It logically follows that if I don't care for American pop/rock garbage, then why would I enjoy foreign pop/rock garbage? ;)

Michael Jackson was good when he wasn't a freak.

Messanic
01-04-2005, 02:26 AM
I like Morning Musume, anything past the second album is definitely for looks more than talent though. Some of my favorite songs from them are:

Shabondama
Koi no Dance Site
Night of Tokyo City
Petit Love

The members keep getting younger and younger though, 12 year old girls must be popular in Japan. I like my women my age or older.

Icarus4578
01-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Japan seems to have a teen fetish. I don't like generalizing but there's just no denying it after you've seen a 13 year old prancing around in ultra-revealing clothing.

Reivenlocke
01-04-2005, 02:50 AM
On top of that, they have broken off into mini-group to maximize their money making potential. When I see them all together and one person sings like 2-3 words each, I don't know whether to laugh or retch. :lol:

Icarus4578
01-04-2005, 03:14 AM
How about both? The biggest concern I have is that of quality: it seems as though things have gone downhill considerably since the 80's, and not just in Japan. I don't mean to say that there haven't been any exceptional artists here and there per say over the years. Wouldn't it just be better if they cared more for the quality of the music moreso than whatever image they're trying to portray?

Messanic
01-04-2005, 03:25 AM
The guy in my sig is pretty hot and can't sing worth ****, however, some artists like Ayumi Hamazaki, and the lead of Do as Infinity can sing and look good doing it.

Dr. Bombay
01-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Dr. Bombay ~ "You know what this means right?

US tour dates. ::Nodnod::"

Yeah. Apparently, we're becoming a desposit for failed Japanese acts. Only problem is it's not gonna work. Nobody gives a sh*t. And if you don't believe me, ask Utada "I really suck" Hikaru.

J-pop singers are products to be replaced after their popularity has waned. It's obviously not about the music.

Well, it didn't work for her, because she actually does suck. Her new album is like lyrical vomit. I mean really, "I'm you're easy breezy and I'm japanesey?" Give me a break.

Icarus4578
01-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Yeah, but out of over a thousand Japanese artists (and I use that term loosely), how many are any good? And, if they're doing fine in their respective country, I don't think they'd feel comfortable about leaving behind what they've managed to accomplish to go off and work in a country which is foreign to them.

Dr. Bombay
01-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Meh. If Ayami Hamasaki comes to america, I want her getting her american stardom Via American Idol. THEN, maybe I'll watch that garbage show.

Reivenlocke
01-04-2005, 03:51 AM
Japanese geinou "talent" is filled with gimmicks. They ride it until the wheels fall off and are never heard from again. Megumi with her funbags, The "Nandedarou" guys, and that one guy that just kept saying "GETS!" all te time. The better geinous are the guys that showcase and diversify their talent well. IMO, Takashi Okamura is the most talented non-musical geinou in the past 10 years even though he is still saddled with his nigh useless manzai partner. Downtown's Maeda and Matsumoto used to be funny as hell, but they got burned out and only stick to hosting music shows now.

Reivenlocke
01-04-2005, 03:52 AM
Meh. If Ayami Hamasaki comes to america, I want her getting her american stardom Via American Idol. THEN, maybe I'll watch that garbage show.

I'd watch that just to see Simon rip on her and she won't know what the hell he's saying.
:lol:

Messanic
01-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Yeah, but out of over a thousand Japanese artists (and I use that term loosely), how many are any good? And, if they're doing fine in their respective country, I don't think they'd feel comfortable about leaving behind what they've managed to accomplish to go off and work in a country which is foreign to them.

Gackt is doing pretty good, he has looks and can sing, he's become a bit commercial with his recent outings. He did the voice for Seiji in the New Fist of the North Star OAV and starred as Lau Wong in Bujingai.

Icarus4578
01-04-2005, 03:55 AM
That's pretty much what everybody seems to be doing these days: They begin in one profession, then after the flames begin to burn less brightly they tackle other things like movies, TV and so forth. It's all a game of survival.

Reivenlocke
01-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Well, it didn't work for her, because she actually does suck. Her new album is like lyrical vomit. I mean really, "I'm you're easy breezy and I'm japanesey?" Give me a break.

Utada's push in the States was due to his father, whose dream it was to produce a hit act in America. He raised his daughter partly in the U.S. for this singular purpose.

Icarus4578
01-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Daddy didn't succeed. :cool:

Nindalf
01-04-2005, 10:07 AM
I think it should be a bannable offense to talk about music and then mentioning "Queen" and not talking about the greatest band of all time.

1337haxxor
01-04-2005, 10:42 AM
http://www.mygmusique.com/legendes/queen/night.jpg
http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/1975_01/queen.jpg
http://www.ryusaku-kuroya.net/queen-sha.JPG

When some one is about to rock, its rude not to salute them.

:sing: FIRE! We salute you!

Nindalf
01-04-2005, 10:55 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000OE7.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Freddie Mercury = Greatest singer who ever lived.

Reivenlocke
01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
...back to the subject.

Hamasaki should be smilin' fuckin' glad she lasted as long as she did. The Japanese music fan is very fickle. Remember Dragon Ash? They're in the same cesspool as Orange Range and Exile will be in around July. Longevity in the J-Pop game is the exception and not the rule.

Xero
01-04-2005, 06:38 PM
I also have all of Dir en Grey and Do as Infinity's albums, lives and singles to date, pirated mind you, but I have them all. Xero_0, I suggest you check out these songs from them:

Kasumi
Drain Away
Embryo
Cage
Mr. Newsman
The Final

I wanted to get some more Dir en Grey but I didn't know which songs I should get, ever since I saw "Obscure"'s video clip... But I guess I'll give these a try, thanks for the list. ^_^

*Puts on a random "Glay" song.* ~~~Ayumi just needs a break~~~ :o

Reivenlocke
01-16-2005, 05:33 PM
~~~Ayumi just needs a break~~~ :o

Breaks don't help anyone in the J-Pop world. Ask Namie Amuro. The average life expectancy of a *good* J-band is about 2 years. Hamasaki is/was blessed. Now she'll disappear for 5 years and come back as a do-nothing variety show geinou that does the occasional song to try to relive the glory days that bombs.